Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2015 7:23:34 PM EDT
Guys, I have a couple of concerns. After contemplating for several months, I bought a SA Loaded 1911. I went to the range to run a few rounds through it.  After 50 rounds I had had enough. First, the trigger was very inconsistent. One time it would feel smooth, then it would feel gritty and take more effort to pull. This went back and forth. Second, I noticed pain in the area where you normally would get slide bite. After looking at the gun, I noticed the edges of the frame were fairly sharp where the grip safety pivots, also the area where the normal safety pivots.

I have been shooting Glocks for years and I have heard so many great things about the 1911 and how the 1911 triggers are so great. I am not bashing the 1911 by any means, but I am somewhat disappointed in my first ownership of a 1911. Are these issues normal, or were my expectations just too high? I am sure the trigger will break is some, and I could break (radius) the edges of the frame to correct it. But it would screw the finish up on the frame if I do it. What does the hive suggest?

Dave

Update:
Called SA this morning. The lady told me that they would definitely look at the trigger. She also said that the other issue is a cosmetic issue and they may or may not do anything about it. I feel confident that once the technician sees what I am concerned with, he will correct it. Will ship it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys!

2nd update:
Just got my Loaded 1911 back.  I must say that I am very disappointed.  The trigger is much better, but they did not even address the frame issue.  I sent pictures to indicate exactly where the mismatch is located.  I called CS and they told me that what I was describing is normal and that I could send it to the custom shop to have it blended in (with a fee of course) if I am not satisfied with the fit.  I don't feel I should have to pay to get a brand new pistol corrected.

I have been shooting pistols for over fourty years and I can assure you this is not normal, at least not for me.  I currently own over twenty handguns and have never had any fit/finish issues like this before.  If this is normal for a Springfield pistol, I guess I should move on to something else.  I guess that I am just frustrated at the fact that this is supposed to be nice handgun and the CS department is just blowing me off.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If that gun has a single issue of any kind Springfield will take care of you and it. Give them a call. They have some of the best customer service in the business. The issues you speak of are certainly NOT typical. I bought a new Stainless loaded model and it has been just a dream to shoot and absolutely flawless.. After buying a TRP Tactical Operator I just had to try the lesser expensive model and truthfully, if I had purchased the Loaded Stainless first, I probably would never have spent the extra $$$ on the TRP, BUT They are both very smooth, accurate and dependable shooters and wouldn't sell either for any amount of money. They are keepers for sure. Wish you all the best on your Loaded model and BEFOR doing anything drastic, just give Springfield a call.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If that gun has a single issue of any kind Springfield will take care of you and it. Give them a call. They have some of the best customer service in the business. The issues you speak of are certainly NOT typical. I bought a new Stainless loaded model and it has been just a dream to shoot and absolutely flawless.. After buying a TRP Tactical Operator I just had to try the lesser expensive model and truthfully, if I had purchased the Loaded Stainless first, I probably would never have spent the extra $$$ on the TRP, BUT They are both very smooth, accurate and dependable shooters and wouldn't sell either for any amount of money. They are keepers for sure. Wish you all the best on your Loaded model and BEFOR doing anything drastic, just give Springfield a call.
View Quote

Thanks AK74play, I will give them a call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a loaded that shot very well, the action was smooth and the trigger was great. There was a cosmetic issue with the slide so I called Springfield. They replaced the whole slide and pinned the ejector while it was there. When I got it back it was smoother than it was when I sent it to them. They also refinished the frame to match the new slide. Cost me nothing.  I regret selling it but I sold it to a friend to fund the purchase of a Colt rail gun so I still get to shoot it sometimes. Springfield will take care of you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
i bought a loaded a few years back. it had reliability issues during the first 500 rounds I put through it. It also had a very sharp edge on the right side of the frame by the beavertail.  Called SA and shipped it back to them on their dime. They fixed the issues. turn around time was about 2 weeks. Once it was firing reliably, I noticed that it was consistently low and left at 15 yards by about 7 inches. Called SA and informed them of the new problem. Shipped it back to them again on their dime.  2 weeks later it came back with a new barrel, new bushing, new sights, and a trigger job.  they also re-profiled the rear of the frame to deburr the sharp edge and re-parked the whole frame.  

I also have a rock island. the thumb safety was profiled wrong. when in the fire (down) position, the bottom of the safety protruded beyond the tang and cut into my hand. Called their CS and was basically told to deal with it.  

while it may be a hassle to have issues with a new pistol, SA's customer service is prolly the best in the industry. they'll go above and beyond to make it right.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
My loaded had an amazing trigger.

Call Springfield as noted - they will take care of you. Best CS in the business.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My loaded had an amazing trigger.

Call Springfield as noted - they will take care of you. Best CS in the business.

View Quote

Mine was terrible but I redid the pistol myself as a project.  Now it has the best trigger of all my 1911's.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Oooooops, Double tap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top