Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2015 10:39:22 AM EDT
I have been searching for a long time for a lower cost commander ( to wear to work on the farm when I don't want to worry about my Dan wesson) that is series 70, black, beavertail, no fcs, no billboards, non ambi, and front strap checkering. I wanted to spend less than $1000 and have been searching for a few months with no luck new or used.

Looked hard at the remington R1 carry commander that had it all minus non series 70, ambi, and billboard. I found a few for the $900 range. Saw a ruger night watchman at my LGS and really liked it as it had everything I wanted minus the front strap checkering (very light laser engraved slide that is hardly noticeable and could be removed probably). I got it for $780 out the door ($765 + Wisconsin $15 handgun fee background check). Good price

First impressions when I got home after I picked it up and really looked it over. Front bushing to slide fit is great but I have over .005 on bushing to barrel fit with a little rattle. Also the beavertail has a little rattle to it but not too worried about it. Finish is GREAT. Really love that black nitride. Fit on everything else is great. I was sad that my new stag grips that I have been saving for my new commander are way to think for my hands and I have to search for a new pair. I installed a wilson front strap that I used to have on my GSG1911. so far ok but I know it will bug me and I will want to get the front strap checkered some day. Overall happy with the purchase and I will take it out shooting this weekend to hopefully amplify that feeling. And as I left the gunshop I said "thanks and until the next one"

sorry for my crappy cell phone photo
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
very nice. Did ruger hide their five pages of safety crap or is it stamped in huge print on the other side ? good looking pistol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
very nice. Did ruger hide their five pages of safety crap or is it stamped in huge print on the other side ? good looking pistol.
View Quote

nothing on the slide for safety crap thank goodness

they did put BIG ORANGE stickers with all the safety crap on the magazines. Stickers came off really easy though
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks pretty good, maybe you could get some VZ grips for it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

On the "SR1911", at least all of the ones I have seen, the warning label, "READ INSTRUCTION MANUAL BEFORE USING FIREARM", is located on the underside of the dust cover. With the regular stainless version it is an easy fix with a re-bead blasting.

Is it on the Night Watchman? I would assume it is since they are obligated by law last I heard.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

On the "SR1911", at least all of the ones I have seen, the warning label, "READ INSTRUCTION MANUAL BEFORE USING FIREARM", is located on the underside of the dust cover. With the regular stainless version it is an easy fix with a re-bead blasting.

Is it on the Night Watchman? I would assume it is since they are obligated by law last I heard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

aww crap it's tiny laser engraved under the dust cover you can hardly see it but it's there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks pretty good, maybe you could get some VZ grips for it.
View Quote

I like the grips personally.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a great gun for the price!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Man... I like that.

Very nice.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been looking at the same gun lately, interested in your experience after a few round down range with it, overall great looking gun for the price.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Good looking gun, it does seem as though a "Night Watchman" would have a rail though, since lights are plumb handy at night.

Are these steel or alloy frame?

Grips look good, but I will admit to becoming addicted to VZ Frags.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good looking gun, it does seem as though a "Night Watchman" would have a rail though, since lights are plumb handy at night.

Are these steel or alloy frame?

Grips look good, but I will admit to becoming addicted to VZ Frags.
View Quote

The frame is blackened stainless like the slide.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]
that thing is sharp, they did a nice job on it
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn. got me thinking now, and that's dangerous.

For those that have them, how do they shoot?

Anyone know where to find one shoot me a PM.

Congrats.

Edit: Read some reviews on other forums. Have you measured trigger pull out of the box? One noted his was near 7lbs out of the box.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Damn. got me thinking now, and that's dangerous.

For those that have them, how do they shoot?

Anyone know where to find one shoot me a PM.

Congrats.

Edit: Read some reviews on other forums. Have you measured trigger pull out of the box? One noted his was near 7lbs out of the box.

View Quote

trigger felt about the same as my sig and dan wesson pistols. Only shot a box of 50 today with factory magazines. Zero issues  besides shooting a bit to the right. I shot all 50 at 10 yards rapid from the holster. Group was ok for me. Next time I have more time I'll shoot for tighter groups. So far I like it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds good. Won an auction today on one for a pretty good price so I'll report back next week on how the build quality and accuracy of mine is.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#16]
New grips, and I really really want to get the front strap checkered (or chain mailed) and not sure if I should just buy a stripped frame or send it out.
Really want a solid trigger too (not big on cut out/hole triggers)
Other than that I really like it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#17]
will probably pick mine up tomorrow. It came in.

Thinking of I don't find anyone local to my liking it's going to Alchemy if they're not too backed up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top