Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 1:12:41 AM EDT
I found a good deal on a Kimber Stainless II, and since I'm not that big on stainless 1911s I was thinking about sending it to Robar to have it blackened. So has anyone on here had it done and do you have any pictures? And while I've shipped guns when I sold them, is it the same deal shipping them to have work done?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I found a good deal on a Kimber Stainless II, and since I'm not that big on stainless 1911s I was thinking about sending it to Robar to have it blackened. So has anyone on here had it done and do you have any pictures? And while I've shipped guns when I sold them, is it the same deal shipping them to have work done?
View Quote

First kimber sucks.

second, not sure about blackening stainless steel but I know robar does good work, just not sure about current turnaround times.

lastly, it's not the same in that you don't have to go thru a separate ffl, but I'm pretty sure you're going to have to at least 2nd day air the gun. I think that's carrier policy, not law.

sometimes it's cheaper to have an ffl send it thry priority mail. robar should be able to send it back to you directly
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The pistol on the right is a stainless Colt Defender I sent to Robar to be made black with one of their finishes.  Turned out nicely and I replaced the grips with ones to match the New Agent on the left.  Sold both so I don't know how it held up, but it certainly made for a handsome pistol.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Ruger makes 3 Blackend Stainless models....SR1911 Night Watchman
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#4]
This pistol started life as do all Colt Defenders with a brushed aluminum frame, and a stainless slide.

CCR did the finish, it's their 'Cera-Hide'  I had it done about three years ago, and the pistol is my EDC in a leather holster.

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/index.html

They run specials during the year, and normally post in the pistol section of Sig forum.

Great people to deal with, I highly recommend them.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Here are a Springfield Trophy Match and a Dan Wesson PM-9 I had treated in Black Nitride/Hard Hat. I would recommend that over blackened stainless as nitride hardens the surface and wears like nothing else (except maybe hard chrome)

" />

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Just chiming in on Kimbers.

Mine always worked
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:First kimber sucks.
View Quote

According to the internet so does everything else besides a Glock 19.

But one of the reasons I was thinking about getting it blackened instead of nitride is because it will wear. Call me crazy, but I think beat to shit 1911s look badass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks making me edit your post too...VA-gunnut

View Quote

Man, this isn't GD. This is a tech forum and that is not a respectable response.

People have personal opinions and hes entitled to his as well, right or wrong.

I have had as many issues with Kimbers as I have with other manufactures. Most of my Kimbers ran great, same as my Springfields, Ive had issues from both, each time it was due to a improperly set up extractor

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

But one of the reasons I was thinking about getting it blackened instead of nitride is because it will wear. Call me crazy, but I think beat to shit 1911s look badass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The black on Nitride is usually nothing but black oxide; the nitride is a surface treatment that doesnt change the color of steel. It will wear same as an older Glock. Ionbond/DLC is the black finish that lasts.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I have two Kimbers and two SA's while I like my SA TRP most of all my Kimber Grand Raptor groups better than any of my 1911's.

The only issue I had with mine was the Stainless Target II hates cheap mags but works find with Wilson mags.

Kimbers do not suck they just have crappy 1 year warranty.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The black on Nitride is usually nothing but black oxide; the nitride is a surface treatment that doesnt change the color of steel. It will wear same as an older Glock. Ionbond/DLC is the black finish that lasts.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have any guns finished in black nitride do you? I have the guns above and have drawn each thousands of times from kydex and they show almost zero wear. I also have a 1911 with ion bond and the wear is comparable. Both are good finishes but black oxide is a different process from black nitride. I was in the chemical treatment shop that did the Springfield for the record.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You don't have any guns finished in black nitride do you? I have the guns above and have drawn each thousands of times from kydex and they show almost zero wear. I also have a 1911 with ion bond and the wear is comparable. Both are good finishes but black oxide is a different process from black nitride. I was in the chemical treatment shop that did the Springfield for the record.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I stand corrected; I was thinking about old school tenifer and the melonited S&W M&P finishes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:28:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't black nitride what Sig uses? Because I have a West German P220 that's had the barrel shot out in it and it looks about the same as my carry gun does after about a year.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#15]
SIG uses ion bond. Old folded steel slides were black oxide.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:17:23 AM EDT
[#16]
as far as a black finish for your gun goes, Robar would be my choice.  im only slightly biased.... my RC-1911 commander came in yesterday, and my Robar/Vang Comp 870 came in this morning!

i would elect to have Robar finish the barrel, barrel bushing, and internal parts with NP3.  the slide and frame i would do in matte or satin Roguard (your preference- one is dull, one is shiny).

the Roguard has held up well on my duty 1911's, and on my Colt M4.  

the NP3 is a silver color- its nickel teflon electroless plating.  its really awesome stuff-  it basically makes my Springfield MC Operator run without lube, without malfunctions for 1400 rounds (yes, i tested it in a week long instructor development class).  

i know Robbie has been working on a black chrome as well, but im not sure where it is at right now.  

either way, its a company i trust, and recommend to my friends.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
as far as a black finish for your gun goes, Robar would be my choice.  im only slightly biased.... my RC-1911 commander came in yesterday, and my Robar/Vang Comp 870 came in this morning!

i would elect to have Robar finish the barrel, barrel bushing, and internal parts with NP3.  the slide and frame i would do in matte or satin Roguard (your preference- one is dull, one is shiny).

the Roguard has held up well on my duty 1911's, and on my Colt M4.  

the NP3 is a silver color- its nickel teflon electroless plating.  its really awesome stuff-  it basically makes my Springfield MC Operator run without lube, without malfunctions for 1400 rounds (yes, i tested it in a week long instructor development class).  

i know Robbie has been working on a black chrome as well, but im not sure where it is at right now.  

either way, its a company i trust, and recommend to my friends.
View Quote

Agreed. 100%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top