Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2015 10:28:46 PM EDT
Hello, friends.

I currently have a Les Baer UTC that I have carried in a Raven Phantom.  Awesome holster.  They are fast, comfortable, and flat.  I'm moving away from the full size LB, and think my next nice 1911 will be a commander slide.  I've been so happy with the Raven, but everything I read makes it seem that Kydex with a custom 1911 is sacrilege.  

Can you explain this?  To me, a Kydex holster is simply a better option.  And yet, I have to accept that you guys with more experience carrying a 1911 have more knowledge on the subject than I have.  So am I missing something?  Can a leather holster be as fast, secure, and effective as Kydex?

Thanks in advance.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello, friends.

I currently have a Les Baer UTC that I have carried in a Raven Phantom.  Awesome holster.  They are fast, comfortable, and flat.  I'm moving away from the full size LB, and think my next nice 1911 will be a commander slide.  I've been so happy with the Raven, but everything I read makes it seem that Kydex with a custom 1911 is sacrilege.  No

Can you explain this?  To me, a Kydex holster is simply a better option.  And yet, I have to accept that you guys with more experience carrying a 1911 have more knowledge on the subject than I have.  So am I missing something?  Can a leather holster be as fast, yes secure, yes and effective as Kydex?yes

Thanks in advance.  

View Quote

Carry what works for you! I use both leather iwb, more comfortable to me.  Kydex owb.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
A GOOD leather holster can be just as effective as a kydex.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a TT Gunleather Slim XC for my Commander with a TT Gunleather belt and I found them better than Milt Sparks and sold the two I had for my commander and full size. Waiting for my next one to finish. I just found the cant on the Slim XC by TT to trump the Milt for me at least.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a King Tuck iwb and galco leather owb depends what I am doing. Do I care about wear on my slide? No, cause its my carry gun not a safe queen. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
wrong thread
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Milt Sparks.....'nuff said...put your plastic gun in a plastic holster. 1911's deserve leather.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Milt Sparks.....'nuff said...put your plastic gun in a plastic holster. 1911's deserve leather.
View Quote

I have to agree.  1911's & Hi-powers are from the leather era.  I have Bianchi and Milt Sparks.  Good lined leather holsters if they are to be carried and used often.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Milt Sparks, El Paso, Kirkpatrick or Galco.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#9]
OP,

have ya got a few years? No, seriously, it will take that long to list good holsters for the 1911.

Leather, kydex, leather and kydex, the manufacturers are many, and EVERYONE swears by what they are carrying, including me.

Browse carrying threads, don't ask, watch instead. Check out concealed nation as well.

Some are very expensive, some are surprisingly affordable and very utility.

I'm using an Aliengear (presently) for an IWB. There are MANY makers of similar that vary in price too. You can get pretty fancy as well, there are some members here who have very expensive, yet gorgeous holsters and a mag pouch, on awesomely crafted belts to match.

Advice, get yourself an Aliengear IWB or similiar, carry that while you look at fancy if fancy is what you eventually want until you KNOW what you want. You may end up sticking with Kydex, or you may go for that personalized, custom, fancy leather matched set of holster, mag pouch and belt combo that will run into some bucks, but be "all you".  Get ready to see some really elaborate rigs.

BTW, choosing a holster can be as fun as choosing a gun. Don't forget a good belt! YMMV!

ETA: Sorry, got side tracked... for us KYDEX GUYS, read on.

Why Kydex for me? Oh, I have leather too, I just really like the Alien Gear IWB I am presently using, very comfortable, been using it since October/November-ish. I often forget it's there, and I'm backing a full size 1911 in it.

SECRETS: I also carry a different gun in warmer months, a snub nose revolver, in an Alien Gear IWB so I can wear board shorts. with floppy spring/summer tee shirts The more clothes I wear, the 1911 is carried, when in summer wear, the smaller revolver I carry. Both in kydex holsters. Ya never see my gun, no one ever thinks that I am carrying one. A GOOD kydex holster is a pretty smart Y2K+ product.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Love the vm2 and summer comfort
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#11]
MY "CUSTOM"  guns sits in a Model 012 holster from Safariland
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Kydex for me
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
There's nothing sacrilegious about it. Kydex is superior for multiple reasons. It's durable, it has better retention, it holds its shape for reholstering. Most importantly, it doesn't promote corrosion. Leather not only absorbs moisture from the air, but it contains chemicals that are harmful to finishes and promote rusting. I'm not saying that leather is bad, just that kydex is better for many reasons.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Get both
Crossbreed

If I was gonna start carrying a 1911 full time I'd get a Crossbreed. Have one for my 229.

I used to use a Wilson "Summer Companion
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#15]
You gotta have both plastic/kydex and leather holsters for the 1911.

My favorite are G-Code OSH & Safariland ALS. And for leather, Wright Leather Works and Galco.....in that order.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]
It is not sacrilege, people like leather with 1911's for "class" reasons.  Kydex is a great holster material, don;t give it a second thought.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Im a kydex convert
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a raven phantom
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Thanks for the replies and insight.  I've been reading about the Versa-Max II for over a decade, sounds like I should at least try one.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There's nothing sacrilegious about it. Kydex is superior for multiple reasons. It's durable, it has better retention, it holds its shape for reholstering. Most importantly, it doesn't promote corrosion. Leather not only absorbs moisture from the air, but it contains chemicals that are harmful to finishes and promote rusting. I'm not saying that leather is bad, just that kydex is better for many reasons.
View Quote

Woot! There it is! The facts of the matter.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow I didn't know that. I guess the Sparks I have worn for years is bad for my gun. I better check for rust. and all those chemicals. Oh my!! I guess it's been the wrong material for holsters for over 200 years or so.

Seriouly. keep your Kydex if you want but leather IMHO is far superior for a holster. Stop buying the cheap shit at Cabelas and buy a quality leather holster.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Leather.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies and insight.  I've been reading about the Versa-Max II for over a decade, sounds like I should at least try one.
View Quote

You really can't go wrong with a VM2. I bought one off Ebay for almost new price, but it was in extremely good condition and I didn't have to wait, so it's a win-win.

I also have an Alien Gear for my 1911 and Old Faithful for my CZ 2075. I really liked the OF so I bought the Alien Gear and the big safety on my Springfield RO would get knocked off while I was carrying it.

I couldn't really trust it, so I went with the VM2. It holds the gun extremely firmly while being a piece of cake to reholster.

For those who like their Alien Gears more power to you. I really wished it worked for me since it was quite a bit cheaper, but that's holster selection.

You owe it to yourself to get the VM2. It's worth it, and if you feel like it's not you can get new price or very near that on Ebay.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Best of both worlds...
take a look at Garrett Industries Silent Thunder holsters,leather lined kydex
I've used one daily for a few years with no problems and
if you have any questions, their customer service is excellent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top