User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2015 4:43:37 AM EDT
So I'm considering:
Kydex vs leather
Homemade vs bought
Practical vs BBQ status
and go!

ETA: I've made kydex holsters before, but I have no experience with leather working, so homemade and leather wouldn't go together without some experimentation. My kydex stuff has turned out pretty good, but there is something to be said for dropping some coin and having something I don't have to screw with show up at my door step.

Currently the gun has a TLR-1 light mounted, which I would consider taking off/replacing with a different light, if the holster is nice enough to warrant the change. Any suggestions would be considered, especially suggestions involving a better performing light. The TLR-1 is just something I had kicking around.

ETA 2: any holster fitting a Springfield TRP full rail will fit, I just haven't seen many options out there, so crowd-sourcing ideas it is
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Kydex one from Bladetech that allows a mounted light.  I've never used it, got it cheap on a whim.    I'd suggest getting one without a light mounted, since it's what I use most.

Most of a photo of it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Well... I'm just the opposite. My pistols have lights on them and the holsters hold them that way just fine.  

Of course there are two or three custom kydex holster places here in the springs.  Since it get dark when the sun goes down the lights are already mount and I am used to carrying (and using) them that way.

One place I go to I coordinate and get about a three hours turn around since I give the pistol and light. Usually they have the blue-pistols but few folks besides bladeTec has that many lights.

With kydex I found that I like the pancake style with belt loops over the paddle design.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Meh, I'm a shooter, don't know shit about making holsters.  Had a local guy make a couple  kydex holsters and mag carriers for my duty piece.  If I had any skill in that area, I'd have made my own.  I did not like the offerings by bladetech with the exception of the duty holster.

Without light

With light.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Bladetech I didn't like (too bulky) and the Duty bladetech holster I did like.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a kydex OWB for my STI Duty One govt w/a X300.  Rides great and draw is pretty fast.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys carrying STI Tactical's on duty......what caliber are you toting and how long have you been using them ???  I've got a Tactical 5" .45 ordered right now, should be here Monday...to use as my primary duty weapon.  Ever have any issues with them or anything I need to know about ?

I've shot a STI Edge .40 in USPSA for over 10 years and it's still going strong...can't wait to get the Tactical 10-8.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You guys carrying STI Tactical's on duty......what caliber are you toting and how long have you been using them ???  I've got a Tactical 5" .45 ordered right now, should be here Monday...to use as my primary duty weapon.  Ever have any issues with them or anything I need to know about ?

I've shot a STI Edge .40 in USPSA for over 10 years and it's still going strong...can't wait to get the Tactical 10-8.

View Quote
9mm.  Bullets bullets and mo bullets.   Carrying about a year, a little over 6k through it.  No malfunctions other than some fat 9mm reloads (my fault).  Surprisingly light for a double stack, full rail gun.  Lighter than my single stack Springfield TRP Operator in 45.

Hmmm, Issues.  Well, trigger wasn't great on mine, but a little stoning and it's good to go.  The checkering on the front of the trigger guard had to go to mount the x300 with DG switch.  Had to file the plastic rail attachment on the X300 to get it to slide on the rail.  Factory mags work well but springs can be kinda weak and if you don't keep those clean (ish) they may fail to lock the slide open but will otherwise function.  Holster selection ain't great but Safariland duty holsters will work and Blade tech makes a couple.  Someone pointed out that any holster for full rail Springfield Operator will work as well.  Should have thought of that.  

Really, I'm fucking very happy I bought the STI, worth every penny and runs like a sewing machine (of death).  It's my first STI but probably not the last.  hkusp9 carried or still carries a STI in 45acp, hit him up, he can tell you things specific to the double stack 45.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
9mm.  Bullets bullets and mo bullets.   Carrying about a year, a little over 6k through it.  No malfunctions other than some fat 9mm reloads (my fault).  Surprisingly light for a double stack, full rail gun.  Lighter than my single stack Springfield TRP Operator in 45.

Hmmm, Issues.  Well, trigger wasn't great on mine, but a little stoning and it's good to go.  The checkering on the front of the trigger guard had to go to mount the x300 with DG switch.  Had to file the plastic rail attachment on the X300 to get it to slide on the rail.  Factory mags work well but springs can be kinda weak and if you don't keep those clean (ish) they may fail to lock the slide open but will otherwise function.  Holster selection ain't great but Safariland duty holsters will work and Blade tech makes a couple.  Someone pointed out that any holster for full rail Springfield Operator will work as well.  Should have thought of that.  

Really, I'm fucking very happy I bought the STI, worth every penny and runs like a sewing machine (of death).  It's my first STI but probably not the last.  hkusp9 carried or still carries a STI in 45acp, hit him up, he can tell you things specific to the double stack 45.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just sold my Sig X5 Tactical.....had trouble getting my Surefire x300 ultra on it at first as well....
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I really like those STI's. I'm thinking of picking up the Springfield paddle holster they ship with the TRP's. Looks like the best low cost option at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Safariland duty holster.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice, looks just like mine. Well, almost.  

You got  to give us a range report when you take her for a spin.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#12]
What holster is that? Level 2 or 3 retention?

My dept requires basket weave
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What holster is that? Level 2 or 3 retention?

My dept requires basket weave
View Quote

It's a Safariland 6280....level 2.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Meh, I'm a shooter, don't know shit about making holsters.  Had a local guy make a couple  kydex holsters and mag carriers for my duty piece.  If I had any skill in that area, I'd have made my own.  I did not like the offerings by bladetech with the exception of the duty holster.

Without light
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/m4pointman/IMG_20140713_001425_zpse7678b16.jpg

With light.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/m4pointman/IMG_20140713_001302_zps4ecbfa53.jpg
View Quote

Does the guy that made your holster make them for the single stack STI Tactical SS Full Rail 5.0 1911?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Does the guy that made your holster make them for the single stack STI Tactical SS Full Rail 5.0 1911?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Without light

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/m4pointman/IMG_20140713_001425_zpse7678b16.jpg

With light.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/m4pointman/IMG_20140713_001302_zps4ecbfa53.jpg

He's a one man shop in central Alabama and can make whatever you want.  Catch is, for the full rail 1911 he's gonna need the gun to make the holster.  He worked with a partner of mine so I had no issue givin' him my pistol to mold the holster around.  Turn around was fast.  He's good people and will work with you to get you what you want but you have to be specific on what it is you want ie. material thickness, belt loop size, etc.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top