Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2015 5:48:01 PM EDT
I know it's history and maintenance record and lord knows the round count it has seen over the years.  The magwell has been removed and the ambi safety broke some time ago and was replaced with a single sided GI type they had laying around.  The springs were replaced on a regular schedule.  The night sights still glow decently well.  The factory grips were replaced with rubber panels, but I have a pair of the correct ones laying around but I'll probably put a pair of VZs on it.  I am guessing it is probably around 8 years old.  

I am paying $400 for it.

Their gunsmith went through it and replaced the springs one last time and said the pistol was good to go.  These are friends of mine so I know they aren't hosing me.

What else should I check out?  I am buying it regardless but if it works out well enough I am going to carry it after replacing the thumb safety again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you shot it?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a simple, albeit helpful guide of stuff to check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFMTMZCnSZs
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you shot it?
View Quote

Yep, it shoots fine.  I ran 50 rounds through it the other day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is a simple, albeit helpful guide of stuff to check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFMTMZCnSZs
View Quote

Cool.  I will go through it later tonight.   Thanks.  

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable, but I like to ask for advice so I don't miss anything.  I'm think I am getting more and more forgetful as I get older.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Do it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#6]
She does look rough.  I'll post some pictures later tonight.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Not that it matters much, when was it made?
Is it an aluminum frame or a steel framed gun?

I've had my Kimber since it was made in 1998, love it.
Accurate, boring to shoot, makes everyone look good and eats everything.

But then again, its not a range rental gun either.

If it works, you should be good to go as its definitely broken in.

ETA - its this one right?

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/tactical-ii/tactical-custom-ii

If so, its an aluminum frame.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Look closely for frame cracks.  Stress in aluminum is cumulative.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Waiting to see the pics, but I would definitely look at the frame, both at the beginning of the frame rails where they start at the dust cover, and then again at the slide stop hole, if it's not cut all the way to the top.  Look at the inside of the slide rails, and the frame rails both, see if there is any measurable wearing down of either.  I used to work at an indoor range and some of our range guns you could actually see the rails were worn down to 1/2 the width of a new gun.

Double check the gun with a function drill, and if you can take it apart, take it all the way down and check the sear and hammer notches to make sure they are still crisp and not rounded off, chipped, or cracked.  

Sounds like a good deal if everything checks out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is a quick photo guys.  I got too busy this evening to really mess with it.  I'll go over it better tomorrow and if she looks good I'll 4473 it.

Sorry for the crappy photo quality.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not that it matters much, when was it made?

Is it an aluminum frame or a steel framed gun?

I've had my Kimber since it was made in 1998, love it.

Accurate, boring to shoot, makes everyone look good and eats everything.

But then again, its not a range rental gun either.

If it works, you should be good to go as its definitely broken in.

ETA - its this one right?

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/tactical-ii/tactical-custom-ii

If so, its an aluminum frame.
View Quote
As far as I can tell this one was made in 2008.  I've also got a Series I full size and a Series I Pro Carry.  

That one is it, but definitely looks prettier.  This one is definitely broken in.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I may be wrong, but notice the impact marks from the barrel lugs under the vertical impact surface (it looks like a vertical = sign). That would be an indicator of an improperly fitted barrel that is stressing the lower lugs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top