Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 8:29:30 PM EDT
I own several handguns. At this point every niche has been filled from a practical standpoint. Recently I was bored so I started browsing the pic threads. I am a about a third way through the 1911 thread and I am starting to wonder should I pick one up. My dad and his friend like them. My brother owns two. Everyone owns one and everyone loves them. I feel like I need to dip my toe in and test the waters with this firearm.

With all of that being said this gun would still fulfill its duties as a gun. It needs to function first and foremost. Everything else is secondary. That I know of, aside from a larger ejection port most of the work people do is cosmetic or preference oriented. So at the end of the day I am looking to pick up what ever will run correctly, minus the bells and whistles. I do not want a safe queen. Now, if paying 100 more will get me a ton more gun then its something I logically would do, otherwise I am not looking to pay for fit and finish, just function

Thanks

Jon

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield Range Officer, 'bout $700 bucks. Or buy a Rock Island for 350 or so. I bought a RO compact 3 weeks ago. It's at the SACS right now for checkering and some other work to make it mine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
there is nothing worse than a cheap unreliable 1911

....and there is nothing better than a quality 1911 that runs.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Rock Island I bought back when they first started hitting shores, and it has been a great gun.  It is not my only 1911 though, and I definitely would rather have a commander hammer, beavertail, and nicer sights for a gun I was going to be shooting often or using as a carry gun.  If you keep your eyes on the EE here, you will often see a Springfield Loaded model going for around 550 to 600 with even a holster and a couple extra mags.  

You can't go wrong with a Rock Island in my opinion, if you want to just learn about the platform and have something you can modify later though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...My dad and his friend like them. My brother owns two...

View Quote

What do your dad and brother shoot? Might be a good place to start.

Quoted:

View Quote

I'd say there is nothing worse than an expensive unreliable 1911
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

LOL

good point

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a Rock Island or ATI (Shooters Arms) and try it. Both have good reliability tracks. All the problems I have had were feed lip issues as opposed to 1911 issue.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...My dad and his friend like them. My brother owns two...

Quoted:

My brother owns a Dan wesson competition something or another and a SR1911
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Smith & Wesson E Series 1911s offer a lot of reliable gun for the money.

SIGs too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#9]
How much are you wanting to pay? That makes a difference to what I'd recommend. You could get a rough yet reliable TiA, to a Ruger or Sig, to a Springfield, to a Colt. Need more info from you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:15:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Going cheapest no, it won't do the gun justice.

Best thing IMO you can do is try a low cost gun with good features like the Rock Island where you get good sights and an overall well equipped gun for a low price.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Pending sale of my shotgun and or bow, id be willing to go 800 or so. I also need to purchase a new helmet for riding season so that will be 500 bones itself

Quoted:
How much are you wanting to pay? That makes a difference to what I'd recommend. You could get a rough yet reliable TiA, to a Ruger or Sig, to a Springfield, to a Colt. Need more info from you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd say don't go any lower than what a Rock Island would cost. There are a lot of options open to you. I'm a Colt fan, and any Colt will give you the highest resale value, should you decide that a 1911 isn't for you. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't look at Ruger, Springfield, S&W, Sig, or others.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/36291/colt_o1991_1991_series_7+1_45acp_5

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/62244/colt_o1880xse_xse_series_8+1_45acp_5
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd recommend a Springfield Mil-Spec, it's basic yet has some of the improvements like the lowered and flared ejection port... I've shot 5 different ones over the years and none gave me problems. If they ever did I have 100% confidence that Springfield would make it right.
For a little more money you can get a Springfield Loaded (I've seen these under 800 on Gunbroker) or Range Officer. The Range Officer has great reviews, I just don't like the adjustable rear sight visually. All three of these guns are a great value in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I currently own a Rockie, a Ruger Commander and a Range Officer.  They all work.  Rockies are around $400, Rugers $600 ish, and the RO is now pushing $800.  Can't go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Springfield MilSpec if you don't want to tinker. It has everything a 1911 needs, and nothing it doesn't: good sights, lowered ejection port, decent trigger. Get a stack of Checkmate mags with hybrid feedlips and you're done.

RIA if you don't mind or want to do a little (very little) fluff & buff. Toss the mag that came with it and get some Checkmates. It's rougher than the SA, but significantly cheaper.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#16]
A person locally is selling a SA Mil spec like new for 650 including three sets of grips and box of ammo. If he goes 600 that is what it would run me new via impact guns.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have found them online consistently for $500 used. Factor in shipping, transfer and that would be around what your local guy is asking. Make sure it's the model with the flared ejection port. Earlier ones didn't have it, and that sounds like something you want.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Rock Island makes s decent gun.
For just a few hundred more, you can get a quality used pistol.
I picked this up today. Everything pictured (- ammo) for $750

Sig C3 plus three Wilson mags, Wilson trigger, 24/7 sights and Hogue aluminum grips.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice buy. Well after some research I am finding I do have some requirements. The milspec was a solid choice up Until I saw it does not have dove tail sights. So the search becomes refined slightly. Any negatives on the Sr1911?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I would buy the RIA, its fairly cheap and reliable, I have a couple of the basic models and they haven't missed a beat for me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd steer clear of the ATI guns personally.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Ruger SR1911 is a great value , lots of features for the money
Built in the USA
Lifetime warranty

I have owned 2 ( full size and commander ) I sold the full size and kept the commander
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#23]
The more I browse the more my budget and interests grow. If I can move my shotgun and my bow I could be around a grand. Is there anything comparable to the SA MC operator? People say that they work just as well as the more pricey trp. SA also has a lifetime warranty
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#24]
FYI I just bought a NIB  Mil-Spec for $549 delivered off GB. Deals are there, just keep looking
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

as with anything, buy the best quality you can afford. You will never be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nice buy. Well after some research I am finding I do have some requirements. The milspec was a solid choice up Until I saw it does not have dove tail sights. So the search becomes refined slightly. Any negatives on the Sr1911?
View Quote

Ruger's are said to be some of the best deals on NIB non GI 1911s out there. Unfortunately they don't make them with dark finishes unless you get the TALO one which is more expensive than their lightweight commander model I just bought one of these myself and have shot it and it's pretty good. It should also be said that the one I bought was only $100 more than the lightweight commander and came with night sights which is $100 dollars alone. See my "Ruger Commander Nightwatchman" thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top