Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2015 4:48:53 PM EDT
I want a range toy and a pistol that's mostly historically accurate, and I really don't want to drop $2000+ on a US Property-marked .45. Which currently available 1911 is the closest to the A1 spec without having a huge ass roll mark down the slide?

Also, how are Mec-Gar 1911 magazines?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably closest you will get
http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Series70%E2%84%A2.aspx

Also check out Springfield Armory's mil-spec and GI model.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent. Thanks to you both.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Keep in mind, Springfield stopped production of the GI's a couple years ago, and their site no longer lists a parkerized Mil-spec.

I think the GI was the best starter 1911's in shooting, personally. I've got 2 of them and one was my carry gun for a little over 3 years.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind, Springfield stopped production of the GI's a couple years ago, and their site no longer lists a parkerized Mil-spec.

I think the GI was the best starter 1911's in shooting, personally. I've got 2 of them and one was my carry gun for a little over 3 years.

View Quote

That is a bummer a GI or Mil-spec is a good base pistol to build up especially since it does not have the front cocking serrations..... Poor decision on SA's part to do away with them as it is a good entry for 1911s.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The parkerized mil spec is still on there.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-mil-spec-45-acp/
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

My cousin had a stainless GI. Shot like a champ. Too bad they're out of production.

Cimarron's offering looks, so I think I'll throw in my lot with that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:12:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I think this deal on the Remington R1 is tough to beat.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I really like that R1.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really like that R1.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really like that R1.  

Don't tempt me!

At $450 plus transfer, I don't think it's a bad price.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Cruise the EE.. I just scored a NIB Springfield ,2009 production , for $500 shipped...not a smokin deal but I did alright
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think that's a good price if you're looking for GI.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want a range toy and a pistol that's mostly historically accurate, and I really don't want to drop $2000+ on a US Property-marked .45. Which currently available 1911 is the closest to the A1 spec without having a huge ass roll mark down the slide?

View Quote

Rock Island sells GI spec ones but I can testify their finish is easily worn (you did say range shooter) and the newer ones don't have a huge brand banner on the slide just a small one above the safety.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Don't tempt me!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really like that R1.  

Don't tempt me!

Hey, I'm already tempted.  I really love the look with the spur hammer and regular grip safety.  I bought (and later sold) a RIA for those reasons.  I loved the RIA but the sights were almost useless for me; the R1 sights are great and even if you don't like them they're dovetailed in so easy enough to get swapped.  The only thing I would change on the R1 is the MSH- I prefer the arched.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#15]
In your shoes, I went with the Colt Series 70 Reproduction. While not 100% true to spec, it is the highest quality of all the base 1911s on the market and if you decide to go with custom work later, top gunsmiths including Hilton Yam put this at the top of their base gun list when building custom guns.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The MecGar mags are the best I have used, bumping Wilson mags to second best. The Springfield Range Officer is an excellent shot right out of the box..You will find those Remmy R-1's everywhere you look for sale used. I wonder if this has anything to do with the Remington R-1, along with DPMS and Bushmaster all being manufactured in the same plant by Freedom Group using the same QC measures?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The MecGar mags are the best I have used, bumping Wilson mags to second best. The Springfield Range Officer is an excellent shot right out of the box..You will find those Remmy R-1's everywhere you look for sale used. I wonder if this has anything to do with the Remington R-1, along with DPMS and Bushmaster all being manufactured in the same plant by Freedom Group using the same QC measures?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear about the Mec-Gar mags. I have a crap-ton for my Hi Powers and they are stellar.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got the base R1 and love it. I haven't shot more than 300 rounds but had only one misfeed. (stock mags, too)
CDNN has good prices on them. Toss in another $50 and get the stainless.
It may not be an exact A1 (sort of a modified series 80) but for the price it's all kinds of fun.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Look at the Auto Ordnance line. Inexpensive, all-US made GI type 1911 with nice clean markings. Only con is it's series 80 type firing pin safety.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:00:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd be looking at the CZ 1911A1  when available.

While it's not 100% true to original spec and maybe not the best looking one. Roll mark might annoy you, and me considering they got it right with the DW line.  But I'd wager they will probably be the best built for a retro production gun under $1000.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've got the base R1 and love it. I haven't shot more than 300 rounds but had only one misfeed. (stock mags, too)
It may not be an exact A1 (sort of a modified series 80) but for the price it's all kinds of fun.
View Quote

Not interested in stainless, at least not at this point in time. I want something vaguely historically accurate for my French Indochina and Algerian War crap. I already have a P38, and the French were given scads of 1911's.

I'll check out the R1, but Cimarron's Armscor offering is looking damn fine at a price I can live with.

Thanks to all of you. I appreciate it. Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#22]
O1970A1CS is probably the closest, but it has modern Colt markings on the slide.

The Turnbull A1's have some cosmetic differences and are less A1 than the Colt.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#23]
For WWII styling, and a slide that features minimal roll marks.....try the Auto Ordnance 1911a1
I just bought this one, used, and will fire it soon.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not interested in stainless, at least not at this point in time. I want something vaguely historically accurate for my French Indochina and Algerian War crap. I already have a P38, and the French were given scads of 1911's.

I'll check out the R1, but Cimarron's Armscor offering is looking damn fine at a price I can live with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bough one of the Cimarron's about two years ago.  Bought the Parkerized model because no one had the blued one in stock.  I've been very happy with it.  Trigger and safety are more like the WW2 191A1 style, but I'm keeping my eye out for a long GI trigger and checkered safety. Trigger is really nice, as nice as my early 90's Kimber Custom and nicer then my 1992 Springfield GI.  Diamond rosewood grips are a little lighter then original GI WW1 grips but I'm happy with them.  Thinking about getting a nickel Cimarron and throwing some ivory polymer grips on it for a BBQ gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#25]
If you're not stuck on new or current production, probably the closest you'll find to a WW2 era 1911A1 is the Argentine Sistema. It's for all intents and purposes a direct copy of the 1927 Colt 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top