Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2015 3:00:46 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have a Springfield "GI .45" 1911 with a blued barrel, and I'm thinking of having the barrel coated. The reason for this is purely cosmetic: the blued finish isn't very durable, and the barrel has a blotchy appearance where the barrel meets the slide, most noticeably near the ejection port. So I was thinking of coating it with something more durable.

I came across these guys on Facebook: MG Precision Arms. They're one of many companies offering that gold TiN finish that people seem to love or hate, but they also offer the finish in black:

What do you guys think? Will this make my barrel more resistant to finish wear?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Most finishes will wear off.  Some sooner than others.   Hard chrome and TiN seem to hold up better than most.  I wouldn't bother with anything short of that unless corrosion is a real concern.  Cerakote or whatever will soon wear off the hood and around the muzzle but the rest of the barrel would continue to be protected.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Melonite or any Nitride treatment would be your best bet.  Cerakote is a good option it tends to wear pretty well and relatively inexpensive.  One problem you may run into with nitriding the current barrel you have is issues with the take down pin link on the barrel coming loose after the nitride treatment.  
If it were me I would buy the barrel with the finish I wanted and have it fitted to your pistol.

FYI your barrel should be parkerized not blued.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The cheapest way is buy a bottle of cold blue solution and apply it when bluing on barrel wear off. Degrease, apply, wipe off excess, put some gun oil on. It is as good as new.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/liquid-cold-bluing-chemicals/oxpho-blue-reg--prod1072.aspx

I don't see a reason to spent more money on the barrel finish that will soon wear off even with expensive coating. SA GI barrel quality is great, but it is in fact 2-piece barrel. Spend the money you saved somewhere else is my advise.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Good info, thanks guys.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top