Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2015 2:46:18 PM EDT
I purchased a Kimber TLE II 10mm a little while ago and wanted a few extra mags to go along with the single magazine that Kimber ships. To avoid confusion with my .45 1911's that run exclusively Wilson Combat mags, I chose to purchase a different brand for the 10mm that look visually different. (Don't want to accidentally grab a mag full of 10mm and stick it in my .45 if something goes bump in the night.) With this in mind, I set out to see what people like for 10mm magazines.

It appeared from my research that people were well satisfied with the round follower Metalform 10mm 8 round welded base. This one here So I ordered two from Brownells and took them out to the range.

Upon loading the magazines with factory Remington UMC 10mm, I realized before ever seating them in my pistol that I had a problem. After loading around 4 or 5 rounds into the mag, the follower begins binding in the magazine body. When the mag is fully loaded to 8 rounds, the mag follower is so bound up that the rounds just fall out if tipped upside down. It requires a fair amount of tapping to get the follower freed up to return to the top. Both the Metalforms I bought do this and obviously don't function at all in the gun unless only loaded to about 2 or 3 rounds capacity. Anyone else have these problems with Metalform mags? I'm thinking about throwing them in the garbage and buying some other brand. Any suggestions on what to replace them with?

Edited To Add -

My gun functions flawless with the factory Kimber mag. It also performs flawless with 10mm rounds loaded into Wilson Combat .45 ACP magazines. However I am against using the Wilson .45 mags with it do to the possibility of accidently grabbing one loaded with 10mm and inserting it into my .45
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Colt Delta Elite, Metalform is the only magazine I have ever used and never had a problem.

This is the one that I use.  http://www.metalform.us/magazines/product/10mm-1911-standard-8-round/69

If you got them from Brownells don't throw them in the garbage send them back, and get your money back.

If Wilson's work buy them, you can paint the baseplate a different color or a different bumper pad on them.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
My 3.5" Detonics Combat Master has a Metalform mag that works well. They were standard mags for the company when they were based in Pendergrass, GA. I've heard nothing but good about their full size mags.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 3.5" Detonics Combat Master has a Metalform mag that works well. They were standard mags for the company when they were based in Pendergrass, GA. I've heard nothing but good about their full size mags.
View Quote

I have heard nothing but good too. This is why I chose to purchase them. I am surprised to be having problems with them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#5]
There are two things you can do to new mags that act that way. One, take a wooden ruler or similar stick and pump the follower about a hundred times, all the way down and let it return slowly - you don't want to let it slam into the feed lips from full compression . Two, fully load the mag and set it aside for a week.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are two things you can do to new mags that act that way. One, take a wooden ruler or similar stick and pump the follower about a hundred times, all the way down and let it return slowly - you don't want to let it slam into the feed lips from full compression . Two, fully load the mag and set it aside for a week.
View Quote

They have been fully loaded for a out three weeks. That didn't seem to help any, but I didn't try the ruler trick yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top