Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2015 12:19:03 AM EDT
I see many semi custom Baer, Brown, Wilson going into gun smiths like Alchemy for work. Is not the purpose of buying a custom 1911 so you have it built the what you want. I always see them on facebook when the smith post pictures of the work being done on the before mentioned 1911's. What am I missing. Don't want to look stupid but I have to admit I am at a loss..
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:50:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes they dont offer exactly what is wanted and you have to deal with a combination of two shops. Some dont offer options at all on certain models so you really have no choice.

Many buy the brands you mentioned because the quality is top notch and they want a great starting point. No different than the people that buy high end cars and mod them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank's makes sense
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Nighthawk Talon from my LGS, so it wasn't built to my personal specs. Sent it back to Nighthawk to get the extended/beveled magwell installed and crown the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
1911s can turn into a never ending search for absolute perfection.  Bottomless money pit.

I've had a few perfectly serviceable $2K+ 1911s chopped up into something else.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Alchemy Custom also used to work for Baer and does a ton of work on Baer 1911s. If you know anything about Les Baer you are probably familiar with how stubborn he is and how hit-or-miss the customer service is. Some love it, some not so much. Alchemy will do all the work that guys wish Baer would offer on his semi-customs. Alchemy might as well be the Baer service department.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:22:40 AM EDT
[#6]
some folks might miss something when they order it?

Mine came exactly how I wanted because I made sure of every detail
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent my Baer to the Springfield Armory Custom Shop.  They re-profiled and re-checkered the front strap how I wanted it, and installed a different trigger, thumb safety, and rear sight for me.  All options not available from Baer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Rob at Alchemy not only worked for Baer, but also SACS for many years. He's seen and done a lot.
I also have a buddy who sent his SA Professional to Wilson for some work. They did a masterful job - especially on the magwell.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of the semi customs floating around the lgs and gb were ordered without any, or only small number of, noteable custom features. People by those new or used and then work furthor on them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#10]
And sometimes technology and machining changes and you want to add something later that you didn't think of at first.  Right now I'm going back and forth on whether I want to send one or two of mine off for front strap checkering, and having the frame and trigger guard undercut for a more comfortable grip.  Haven't been able to justify the money yet.

Another example is that new Cam-hammer I just read about, which has a rounded cam design to allow the slide to operate more smoothly.  If you have a high end 1911 you aren't just going to put a hammer in and be done, you are going to want to send it in and have the hammer, sear, and trigger mated together to keep your trigger pull consistent.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I sent my baer to alchemy for new sights and a magwell. I contacted les baer first and they wanted a lot more money to do the work. Alchemey customer service is also top notch. I couldn't be happier with how mine turned out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top