Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2015 2:18:46 PM EDT
I really want to put down the 380's and 38spc's and start packing a 45.

I have a nice iwb holster for my full size springer, i have carried it a few times but find the weight gets to me.  
I would have to wear suspenders, I have tried some good belts.  

I'm really thinking of a Comander with a aluminum frame.   Something I could bob tail eventually.  I would like to stay away from a bull barrel also for weight.  

As much as I hate the external extractor, the ones I've been around have functioned fine.  It's just ugly imho.  
The s&w sc1911 frame is pretty close, but I'd rather go with something else.  

Any tips or suggestions
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't meet all your criteria.

But I have been using this every once and awhile. I carry a full size 99% of the time so.

Aluminum officer frame, 4" bull barrel. It is a RO compact as base gun with some goodies from SACS

What belt are you using. I have no problems pulling a 5" all steel gun all day long. I really think your belt maybe suspect. The RO is definitely lighter than a full size steel gun, but the bull barrel does add some weight up front like you were saying above.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]

I carry this one.

LW Champion Operator, some muzzle work, bobtail, and checkering. Shoots good carries great IWB at 5 o'clock. I'm 5'9", 173 lb. My wife can't tell when I'm carrying.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I really want to put down the 380's and 38spc's and start packing a 45.

I have a nice iwb holster for my full size springer, i have carried it a few times but find the weight gets to me.  
I would have to wear suspenders, I have tried some good belts.  

I'm really thinking of a Comander with a aluminum frame.   Something I could bob tail eventually.  I would like to stay away from a bull barrel also for weight.  

As much as I hate the external extractor, the ones I've been around have functioned fine.  It's just ugly imho.  
The s&w sc1911 frame is pretty close, but I'd rather go with something else.  

Any tips or suggestions
View Quote

I'm in the same boat and saw a Ruger in a local gun shop. Like this I haven't seen any for sale online, also the slide is stainless with a dark aluminum frame. Not sure how you feel about the stainless slide and two tone color scheme, but I am not a fan of shiny guns personally but am thinking about buying it and having the slide cerakoted if I decide I really hate stainless that much. Rugers are supposed to be some of the best bang for the buck out of the box. Oh and about weight I carry a compact citadel that weights heavier than this Ruger does when comparing Rugers specs for it and Buds specs for my Citadel.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Recently picked up an all steel Ruger Commander.  Been very happy with it.  I have no reason to believe the lightweight version will not be equally successful.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I too suspect your belt.  I'm 6ft & 200 lbs, I carry a 5" all steel Kimber .45 all day, every day.  Down thru the years, I bought good holsters and just average belts.  Until I purchased a really good belt, I was always adjusting.  I finally bought a nice belt from Bear Creek Holsters in TX.  End of problem.

http://www.bearcreekholsters.com/

No kin, no profit for me, I've never met him, but he did me right by me and modified a holster of his to the way I wanted it.  Bought a belt from him too.  Seems like a really nice guy over the phone, good CS.  A couple of my employees have bought stuff from him too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I too suspect your belt.  I'm 6ft & 200 lbs, I carry a 5" all steel Kimber .45 all day, every day.  Down thru the years, I bought good holsters and just average belts.  Until I purchased a really good belt, I was always adjusting.  I finally bought a nice belt from Bear Creek Holsters in TX.  End of problem.

http://www.bearcreekholsters.com/

No kin, no profit for me, I've never met him, but he did me right by me and modified a holster of his to the way I wanted it.  Bought a belt from him too.  Seems like a really nice guy over the phone, good CS.  A couple of my employees have bought stuff from him too.
View Quote

Yup. I really think a good belt goes farther than a good holster, but both are a must to stay concealed well and for comfort.

I use a ranger belt? I believe that's what it is. Its about wore out and my next one will be the aegis since it is less tacticool for casual wear. My belts last a few years before they need replaced.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been carrying a proper Colt LW Commander for 18 years.
I liked it enough to get rid of all my other carry handguns.  
As far as carry guns go nothing else comes close to a Commander size 1911.  YMMV.

My belt is from A&G Custom Gunleather
I carry OWB only.  Never liked IWB.
My holster is a Galco Concealable or a Uncle Mikes Kydex Paddle.

FWIW The OP might take a look at a Colt LW or Combat Commander.
They're hard to find but they are out there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry almost exactly what you are looking for except the bull barrel part. Wilson Combat Professional Ligthweight with bobtail in .45. All day long in a Milt Sparks Criterion holster and it feels great!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a belt from little bear holsters, I ordered a matching rig.   It's a 1 1/2"  leather belt with pretty good thickness.   I Also have a wilderness belt, neither of witch really keep my pants up with the springer tucked inside.  
As my name sake, I'm a bigger guy.  6' 250lbs, losing my love handles would help tremendously, but untill I get more motivation I'll deal with what I'm dealt.  

I would really like to keep it a colt or Springfield, but I won't make my final decision on a name.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:37:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a belt from little bear holsters, I ordered a matching rig.   It's a 1 1/2"  leather belt with pretty good thickness.   I Also have a wilderness belt, neither of witch really keep my pants up with the springer tucked inside.  
As my name sake, I'm a bigger guy.  6' 250lbs, losing my love handles would help tremendously, but untill I get more motivation I'll deal with what I'm dealt.  

I would really like to keep it a colt or Springfield, but I won't make my final decision on a name.
View Quote

I've been carrying Colt Lightweight Commanders for decades now. Mostly with Milt Sparks IWB or Mitch Rosen OWB holsters.
For belts I like The Beltman in leather or Wilderness nylon.
Best addition I've made to my carry rig is Perry suspenders. They attach to the belt, and are a huge help to me.
I highly recommend all of the above.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I might have to go to some kind of suspenders with my belt.  I've found some that go under base layer, since I dont tuck often this might be the best bet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I normally carry a Colt Defender 3", but just picked up a Springfield Champion Operator lightweight. The features to cost ratio of the Springer is pretty nice... Even to me as a long time Colt fanboy. The Champion Operator does have a bull barrel, but it is a match grade bull barrel. It also comes standard with Novak's style Trijicon night sights, a great adjustable trigger, checkered mainspring housing, beveled edges to prevent snagging, lowered/flared ejection port, ambidextrous thumb safeties, beavertail grip safety, skeletonized hammer, and aluminum frame with a rail so you can add a light for nightstand duty (or for carry with the right holster).
 As for weight, it feels really nice but I have yet to carry this one. I have however carried all steel Commander sized 1911's in the past and have to say this one feels significantly lighter to me. I'd say to make sure your belt/holster is good to go, and any Commander sized pistol should suit you quite well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I know you said commander, but I gotta second the guy above me, the CCO/Range off. compact is a hell
of a good EDC.   This thing runs like a scalded ape and is plenty accurate.

Mine is stock, just a piece of grip tape.  Should be able to get one for 775.00 OTD

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know you said commander, but I gotta second the guy above me, the CCO/Range off. compact is a hell
of a good EDC.   This thing runs like a scalded ape and is plenty accurate.

Mine is stock, just a piece of grip tape.  Should be able to get one for 775.00 OTD

<a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/DVCER/media/RO/132E3DC6-9477-407D-8737-FD39E3B9D3BC_zpshkwtchq3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/DVCER/RO/132E3DC6-9477-407D-8737-FD39E3B9D3BC_zpshkwtchq3.jpg</a>
View Quote

I've been thinking really hard about that.   How does it feel in hand with the bull barrel?    The ria I bought is my first bull barrel and it feels so muzzle heavy.   I couldn't imagine with a aluminum frame as well.    The specs do seem good on it.   I wonder how it compares to a dan wesson cco?  Is a bushing worth the price increase.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I carried that 4.25 LB(steel frame) for years till I got comfortable with the springer ROC....Yeah, the ROC is different, the weight forward thing really did not bug me at all.  Just got used to it quick, but I reload and shoot 1911s a lot.

Gotta say that ROC had to go back to springer for these issues:

POI was 6" high and 4" left, after I had drifted the rear to the max.
Trigger broke OK, but had more creep than a child molester.
Thumb safety was like a cheese grater.

SA paid shipping and had the gun back in 15 days, all issues fixed.

A Dan Wesson CCO would be near 1400.00, and worth every cent.  I'll have one in the next year.
My take on a DW/Colt wiley clap vs the ROC --You get what you pay for, and you get a standard bushing setup
with a .25" longer bbl. weight diff.is only an ounce I think lighter.

SA had to leave some things out to hit their price point.   No checkering, some sharp edges, no frame cut under the trigger guard.  The stock 6 rd mags run great, I have some Wilson 7 rd on order to test.  I did get 5 mags with the gun since they had the mag special then.
 But it has been good for me, I wasn't sure if I would like the CCO platform, so I didn't want to spend a bunch.
The springfield recoil assembly does a superb job, just a PIA to take down.  I have not been able to remove it yet
w/o the plastic C clip.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#16]
S&W PC and Colt XSE LW Commander

They both weigh about 26 ounces empty and are very easy to carry and shoot. The XSE is my primary and the S&W is the back-up. Both have been dead nuts reliable in over 500 rounds through each.

Two is one and all that...
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They both weigh about 26 ounces empty and are very easy to carry and shoot. The XSE is my primary and the S&W is the back-up. Both have been dead nuts reliable in over 500 rounds through each.

View Quote

If u had to pick one, what one would you keep.    The colts your primary, why did you pick it over the pc
I like to shoot my carry guns,  so I never overlooked the smith, that frame might hold up a little better.  

The colt would save me some $$, so I could get it romanced by a smith down the road.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I love my Springfield LW Champion Operator.  It is almost unnoticeable when carrying, has excellent accuracy, and has developed one of the best triggers I have ever shot.  You cannot go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have had a Springfield Lt.Wt. 5" Loaded for almost 15 years.Weighs 28 oz.,unloaded,
carries good to me.When i got it, it was around $750.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If u had to pick one, what one would you keep.    The colts your primary, why did you pick it over the pc
I like to shoot my carry guns,  so I never overlooked the smith, that frame might hold up a little better.  

The colt would save me some $$, so I could get it romanced by a smith down the road.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Colt is primary because it is stainless so requires less maint and continues to look good with lots of holster time. They both shoot the same (recoil, accuracy, and dependability).
Another thing I like a bit more about the Colt is it's frame is undercut at the trigger guard. I really like that feel and it lets me get a higher grip.

I do not think either frame will be more durable than the other. They are both an aluminum alloy no matter what the company calls it.

The one noticeable downside of the Colt is all the sharp edges. I think I could shave with most the edges on the slide.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I might have to go to some kind of suspenders with my belt.  I've found some that go under base layer, since I dont tuck often this might be the best bet.
View Quote

The Perry suspenders attach to the belt. No problem, even with a thick gunbelt. Come in a variety of widths, leather or elastic.
I've settled on the 1-1/2" elastic as best for me.
I wear an undergarment with the Perrys, with another layer to cover.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#22]
As much as I like the cco's I want to stay away from the heavy muzzle of the bull barrell.  

I think I have it pegged, thanks to some of Jeff coopers articals, to a lightweight commander.  The two that has my eye is a colt lightweight Comander, or the more expensive Dan Wesson guardian.   The dw has all the mods done to it I would want the colt to have.  So I think it would save me $$ in the long run.  
But I have never been around any wessons.   I notice they are the cheaper of the custom 1911's.
Is the fit and finish up to status quo?    
Colt allways has my eye, and beside that's what Cooper carried.  The  colt custom shop has pulled off some nice work as of late too.    

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I have carried a Kimber Compact CDP in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion since 2001.  It is my everyday carry gun even on long car rides.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#24]
So it's a toss up between the dw and the colt.  

The dw has all the options I like, but to have a colt romanced by a smith will be more unique.  

Dw will be cheaper all together, but the colt would be built exactly how I want it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Get the Colt.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Get the Colt.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't think you can wrong with either choice.
Based on your plans, it would seem the real question is do you want to wait for the Colt to be built-up to the way you want it and will you ever be able to get you money back out of the Colt?

If the DW is the way you want it out of the box, I would buy it and save the hassle of the gunsmith time and expense.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I carry the Dan wesson CCO daily

this thing was made for daily carry

so comfortable

I had a hard time thinking of the CCO or guardian

both are great carry guns
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought it was going to pony up, but it seems the Wesson might be the wiser choice.  

The guardian is $400 more than the colt, but I would have to spend another 600. on the colt to get it where I want it.  

I'm not worried about resale though,  I like my 1911's and have 4 boys of my own to pass them down too.  

So the colt would need.... A carry melt of some kind, to get rid of the sharpness.
                                         Change out of the mim parts, hopefully the msh isn't plastic (can anyone comment on this)
                                         Msh plastic or not, I'm really wanting a bob tail.
                                        Checkerd front strap.  
  So realistically I would eat up that  $200 extra just to get a American made gun, and will have to wait to get it exactly how I want it.....  Still a close call though.  
But I could carry it as is, see if I need the modifications.  

The Dan Wesson is sexy, i wouldn't have to modify it in any way,   From box, to backyard to check reliability, to holster.  

Damn hard decision.    Seems like it's comparing brand favoritism at this point.   Both guns have great reviews.       Maybe I will get lucky and one will sell before I make a decision.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Not to bump myself, but I bit the bullet!  

(On gb, it said that it's the actual firearm for sale)

Put her on lawaway, should be able to get it out in late March with my yearly bonus.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've been carrying a proper Colt LW Commander for 18 years.
I liked it enough to get rid of all my other carry handguns.  
As far as carry guns go nothing else comes close to a Commander size 1911.  YMMV.

My belt is from A&G Custom Gunleather
I carry OWB only.  Never liked IWB.
My holster is a Galco Concealable or a Uncle Mikes Kydex Paddle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/LWCommander_zps7671ea8d.jpg

FWIW The OP might take a look at a Colt LW or Combat Commander.
They're hard to find but they are out there.
View Quote

Another vote of support for A&G I own 3 of their belts  with great satisfaction
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Not to bump myself, but I bit the bullet!  

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k605/sv6937/CCF37294-B9B1-4411-9A5F-8F13CED9B0D4.jpg

(On gb, it said that it's the actual firearm for sale)

Put her on lawaway, should be able to get it out in late March with my yearly bonus.
View Quote

Nice.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice choice. It looks very familiar to me.

Make sure the set screw is tight in the rear sight before you shoot it. They are notorious for coming NIB with that set screw really loose. Then shoot 500 rounds before you think about messing with it. Mine likes Wilson ETM and Cobra mags. If it has an aluminum frame, I suggest you do not use mags with metal followers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top