Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2015 5:53:08 PM EDT
Gonna get my first 1911 and I'm torn between the two.  Is one any better than the other?  Why?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
TRP

Traditional design.

Plus mine never missed a beat and I was very hard on that pistol
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TRP

Traditional design.

View Quote

This......and if you every want more custom type work......nearly every smith will work on them and parts are pretty universal.  Cant say for sure if the sig is like that.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm no help. I got a TRP a few years ago, beautiful pistol in all respects. A slim grip kit and a normal guide rod and it's just what I want. But just today I ordered a Sig trad 1911 Tac ops. I want a 1911 with a rail for HD. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm no help. I got a TRP a few years ago, beautiful pistol in all respects. A slim grip kit and a normal guide rod and it's just what I want. But just today I ordered a Sig trad 1911 Tac ops. I want a 1911 with a rail for HD. Good luck!
View Quote

I avoided that possible issue. I bought a TRP with the half rail. Sweet pistol. TRP Tactical Operator.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
SIG traditional Tacops,spend the rest on mags and ammo .Only thing SIG specific is the extractor...
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for th TRP. I have been lusting after one for a hot minute.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]
A TRP would be My Choice over a Sig Tac Ops, but if You want a Rail then look at the New Springfield Armory Loaded Operator or MC Operator. I just sold a TRP and Bought a MC Operator because I wanted a Rail For My Streamlight TLR-1 Light. And the Loaded Operator and MC Operator cost a Couple of Hundred less than a TRP and about 100.00 More than a Sig Tac Ops.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Without any doubt the SA TRP!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IIRC you will have a harder time finding holsters to fit the sig
View Quote

OP mentioned the "Traditional" TacOps.  That has a normal slide, but SIG external extractor.

Go with the TRP.  Or with one of the new Springfield Operators.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OP mentioned the "Traditional" TacOps.  That has a normal slide, but SIG external extractor.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC you will have a harder time finding holsters to fit the sig

I like Sigs and 1911's, but I'd go for the SA personally...
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A TRP would be My Choice over a Sig Tac Ops, but if You want a Rail then look at the New Springfield Armory Loaded Operator or MC Operator. I just sold a TRP and Bought a MC Operator because I wanted a Rail For My Streamlight TLR-1 Light. And the Loaded Operator and MC Operator cost a Couple of Hundred less than a TRP and about 100.00 More than a Sig Tac Ops.
View Quote

The TRP is offered with a rail in the operator model.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#13]
SA has 20 lpi and Sig is 25 lpi.  It is sharper on TRP.  They are both accurate,   For the money, Sig is less coin for same features.  I've never had a problem with either.  Aside from SA checkering.  And no problems with the external extractor either.  I did have to replace the flgr on the TRP.  Both have great CS.  If you're going to get a can or have one, then Sig, because you can get it with threaded barrel.

Forgot.....on the TRP, one of the rear tritium dots on rear sight was dimmer than the other and the slide had to go back.  Again great CS with two week turn around on their dime for shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This......and if you every want more custom type work......nearly every smith will work on them and parts are pretty universal.  Cant say for sure if the sig is like that.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/san0707/TRPOCTANE_zps286a7a07.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TRP

Traditional design.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/san0707/TRPOCTANE_zps286a7a07.jpg

This is a great argument for the TRP.

Plus I love mine.  

" />
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I know the TRP is avaiable with a Rail but it also comes with a Adjustable Rear Sight that I did not want and a 1,600.00 plus Price Tag! I just bought a New in the Box MC Operator for 1,000.00
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes I know the TRP is avaiable with a Rail but it also comes with a Adjustable Rear Sight that I did not want and a 1,600.00 plus Price Tag! I just bought a New in the Box MC Operator for 1,000.00
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1600+?? They are all over the net for under $1450, normally about a $100 more than the normal TRP. I paid $1413 for mine 3-4 years ago. Grab-a-gun has one left in stock right now for $1407. You can get the full length rail version for similar $.. if you are patient.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#17]
My TRP is a tank.

Eats EVERYTHING, from steel case to HST.

Plus is accurate as all get out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Put 200 rounds through my Tacops.Aluminum,brass and steel.Ball and HP,eats it all like candy as well
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

1600+?? They are all over the net for under $1450, normally about a $100 more than the normal TRP. I paid $1413 for mine 3-4 years ago. Grab-a-gun has one left in stock right now for $1407. You can get the full length rail version for similar $.. if you are patient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1407.00 is the Cheapest I have heard of and even at that by the time You add S/H and Transfer fees You are at 1,500.00! I haven't seen a full rail Operator for less than 1,800.00 and that is for used ones here on the EE And Both the TRP Opreator and Full Rail Operator has Adjustable Rear Sights which I have no use for. I got exactly what I wanted in the MC Operator for 1,000.00
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a TACOPS -
I love my SIG TACOPS.
That being sad, get the TRP if you can.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't think you have enough TRP votes

Here's another one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for the TRP

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:41:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

1407.00 is the Cheapest I have heard of and even at that by the time You add S/H and Transfer fees You are at 1,500.00! I haven't seen a full rail Operator for less than 1,800.00 and that is for used ones here on the EE And Both the TRP Opreator and Full Rail Operator has Adjustable Rear Sights which I have no use for. I got exactly what I wanted in the MC Operator for 1,000.00
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is great you got what you wanted, but my reply was to fix your erroneous pricing and better inform the OP about the railed TRP pistols pricing.
Shipping is often free on budsgunshop, they charge you additional to insure it ($1 per $100). Grabagun is ... $6. Flate rate. The guy I go to for transfers is $20. So for me, $1433.
Like I said.. "if you are patient". Springfield makes a run of the full rail TRP pistols every year (at least last time I checked they were still at it). You can reserve one at Bud's and other sites, or simply wait for one to appear in stock. Most of the people I know that blew a bunch of money on one think that A: They are out of production or B: They are not patient and just had to have one NOW. They look a little too "ROBOCOP" to me personally, that is why I got the half rail.
Springfield TRP Full Rail $1433 -Reserve-
The railed TRP pistols certainly are not for everybody. In addition to the adjustable sights they have a conical bull barrel rather than a bushing and barrel setup, which I often miss when taking it down.. never stopped me from getting it dirty though, and they shoot great.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#25]
That is great you got what you wanted, but my reply was to fix your erroneous pricing and better inform the OP about the railed TRP pistols pricing.
Shipping is often free on budsgunshop, they charge you additional to insure it ($1 per $100). Grabagun is ... $6. Flate rate. The guy I go to for transfers is $20. So for me, $1433.

Fix My Erroneous Pricing?? You have yet to show one in Stock for 1,400.00! However there is one avaiable right Now right here on ar15.com EE for 1,950.00!
So when You can Show a Link to One that is Actually in Stock and Available for 1,400.00 then I will believe You. And I am Done Debating With You.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fix My Erroneous Pricing?? You have yet to show one in Stock for 1,400.00! However there is one avaiable right Now right here on ar15.com EE for 1,950.00!
So when You can Show a Link to One that is Actually in Stock and Available for 1,400.00 then I will believe You. And I am Done Debating With You.
View Quote

I am not debating. You say $1600 for a TRP Operator. I have one sitting at home I got for $200 less. Fact. Bought in August of 2012. They are in stock on Bud's Gun Shop right now for $1412, which I already mentioned.
$1412 TRP Operator, Half Rail
Grab-a-Gun, One left
If you are talking about the full rail (which I was not, since I was VERY CLEARLY referring to your original "$1600" reply), I could have bought one when I got my half rail, it was only $20 more. They were both in stock. Again, they are limited production, one run a year. If you buy one from Bud's now you will have to wait for Springfield to make the run, and then Bud's to have it shipped out. If you want one NOW you will have to work that out with whoever happens to have one. Why is this a hard concept to understand?
Reserve a FULL RAIL!
That full rail on the EE you are referring to has been there for 5 months by the way.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I buy all of my TRP's for $1025 lightly used on the EE.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#28]
The 20LPI checkering on the TRP is too coarse for me and the Sig extractor gets only mixed reviews. I would consider the MC Operator, the new Loaded Operator (Long Beach Operator) or S&W 1911TA in that price range. I'd rather have no checkering or some type of serrations/scalloping than 20TPI checkering.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am not debating. You say $1600 for a TRP Operator. I have one sitting at home I got for $200 less. Fact. Bought in August of 2012. They are in stock on Bud's Gun Shop right now for $1412, which I already mentioned.
Grab-a-Gun, One left
If you are talking about the full rail (which I was not, since I was VERY CLEARLY referring to your original "$1600" reply), I could have bought one when I got my half rail, it was only $20 more. They were both in stock. Again, they are limited production, one run a year. If you buy one from Bud's now you will have to wait for Springfield to make the run, and then Bud's to have it shipped out. If you want one NOW you will have to work that out with whoever happens to have one. Why is this a hard concept to understand?
Reserve a FULL RAIL!
That full rail on the EE you are referring to has been there for 5 months by the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grab-a-Gun, One left
Reserve a FULL RAIL!

ky gun co has the half rail available for 1362 and free shipping.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Grab-a-Gun, One left
Reserve a FULL RAIL!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grab-a-Gun, One left
Reserve a FULL RAIL!

Here is a Copy of Your Post From Page 1 If You were not referring to the Full Rail then why did You Mention it and Post a Link to It?
Like I said.. "if you are patient". Springfield makes a run of the full rail TRP pistols every year (at least last time I checked they were still at it). You can reserve one at Bud's and other sites, or simply wait for one to appear in stock. Most of the people I know that blew a bunch of money on one think that A: They are out of production or B: They are not patient and just had to have one NOW. They look a little too "ROBOCOP" to me personally, that is why I got the half rail.
Springfield TRP Full Rail $1433 -Reserve-
The railed TRP pistols certainly are not for everybody. In addition to the adjustable sights they have a conical bull barrel rather than a bushing and barrel setup, which I often miss when taking it down.. never stopped me from getting it dirty though, and they shoot great.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#31]
If you don't own a 1911 get the TRP

If you own a decent 1911 get the SIG

Just shot my 226 yesterday , couldn't imagine not owning it
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I buy all of my TRP's for $1025 lightly used on the EE.
Blue Genes, I hope You enjoy and take care of that TRP it should last You a Very Long Time. I hated to see it go but I didn't see any other way to get the MC Operator I bought. I got lucky and found one locally for 1000.00 NIB from a Individual, so I broke even after paying My FFL 25.00 to Ship the TRP I'm Happy
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Here is a Copy of Your Post From Page 1 If You were not referring to the Full Rail then why did You Mention it and Post a Link to It?
View Quote

Exactly. I brought up the TRP full rail. AFTER I corrected your pricing on the half rail (my first reply), and gave you a pricing example after you came back with "It's still $1500!". You even quoted my example, that I gave to show you that $1500 is also iffy. $1407 (HALF rail price from GrabaGun that I mentioned in first reply) + $20 transfer + $6 = $1433..

I Said "That is great you got what you wanted, but my reply was to fix your erroneous pricing" OF COURSE meaning my first and only other reply before then (what else could it have meant??), the one in which I brought up the full rail, was to correct your $1600 price tag on the HALF RAIL.. Now down to $1362 @ Kentucky Gun Co. (thanks bimmertech87, nice deal).
(it also looks like you did not "exactly" get what you wanted since you have a topic about replacing sight, I have considered the fixed combat one 10-8  has for the operator, but my TRP is mostly a range toy anyway. ETA: looks like 10-8 discontinued solid version for bo-mar cuts, have two piece modular one now)

Your pricing on the full rail is not what I would call 'erroneous'.. there are a lot fewer made, and availability is limited, people will often pay what it is worth to them for such a thing (I am in that boat now trying to find a nice old diesel truck).. but you CAN get them "cheap".. eventually. Did you read my "example A+B"?? Clearly I know and understand what people pay and what people ask for them (I could also add a C: The guy that won't buy from the net, LGS only).

Oh well, chalk it up to misunderstanding. I don't want to derail the thread talking about the economics of TRP Operators.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Exactly. I brought up the TRP full rail. AFTER I corrected your pricing on the half rail (my first reply), and gave you a pricing example after you came back with "It's still $1500!". You even quoted my example, that I gave to show you that $1500 is also iffy. $1407 (HALF rail price from GrabaGun that I mentioned in first reply) + $20 transfer + $6 = $1433..

I Said "That is great you got what you wanted, but my reply was to fix your erroneous pricing" OF COURSE meaning my first and only other reply before then (what else could it have meant??), the one in which I brought up the full rail, was to correct your $1600 price tag on the HALF RAIL.. Now down to $1362 @ Kentucky Gun Co. (thanks bimmertech87, nice deal).
(it also looks like you did not "exactly" get what you wanted since you have a topic about replacing sight, I have considered the fixed combat one 10-8  has for the operator, but my TRP is mostly a range toy anyway. ETA: looks like 10-8 discontinued solid version for bo-mar cuts, have two piece modular one now)

Your pricing on the full rail is not what I would call 'erroneous'.. there are a lot fewer made, and availability is limited, people will often pay what it is worth to them for such a thing (I am in that boat now trying to find a nice old diesel truck).. but you CAN get them "cheap".. eventually. Did you read my "example A+B"?? Clearly I know and understand what people pay and what people ask for them (I could also add a C: The guy that won't buy from the net, LGS only).

Oh well, chalk it up to misunderstanding. I don't want to derail the thread talking about the economics of TRP Operators.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are what We Native Floridians refer to as Someone that would Argue with a Fence Post! Even after I pointed out that You Mentioned the Full Rail TRP Operator going all the way back to You first Post on this Thread, and After that. Not once did You Specify that Your Price was based on the Half Rail TRP Operator, And the fact You want to bring up another Thread Regarding Me NOT Getting the Gun I wanted because I want a Different Rear Sight Shows Your Eagerness to Argue and try to Start more Arguement about My Thread about Rear Sights. Changing a Rear Sight is a User Preference just like changing Grips is a User Preference!
My so called Erroneous Pricing is based on what the OP could expect to Pay for the Gun at a Gun Shop not Dig around on the Internet and Find the Lowest Price Available! Not Everyone does that. I use the Internet as a Tool to see what the current Market Price is, and try to Negociate a Price with a Local Dealer without Offending Him by Telling Him Well I can get it for X Dollars on the Internet. Below is a snapshot from Davidsons Gallery of Guns Showing the MSRP Price, which makes My Erroneous Pricing of 1,600.00 not as bad as You made it out to be. Now I am done with Arguing with You as You are Clearly Someone Who has to have the Last Word and Win no matter what. I just don't appreciate being called out and You telling Me I don't know what I'm Talking about when I have been researching the SA Operators for Several Months.

URL=http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/Hanktech1963/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/7E3BA2E9-3497-4D2D-8B89-FCB4B2640E5C_zpstxpwickq.png.html][/URL]
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You are what We Native Floridians refer to as Someone that would Argue with a Fence Post! Even after I pointed out that You Mentioned the Full Rail TRP Operator going all the way back to You first Post on this Thread, and After that. Not once did You Specify that Your Price was based on the Half Rail TRP Operator, And the fact You want to bring up another Thread Regarding Me NOT Getting the Gun I wanted because I want a Different Rear Sight Shows Your Eagerness to Argue and try to Start more Arguement about My Thread about Rear Sights. Changing a Rear Sight is a User Preference just like changing Grips is a User Preference!
My so called Erroneous Pricing is based on what the OP could expect to Pay for the Gun at a Gun Shop not Dig around on the Internet and Find the Lowest Price Available! Not Everyone does that. I use the Internet as a Tool to see what the current Market Price is, and try to Negociate a Price with a Local Dealer without Offending Him by Telling Him Well I can get it for X Dollars on the Internet. Below is a snapshot from Davidsons Gallery of Guns Showing the MSRP Price, which makes My Erroneous Pricing of 1,600.00 not as bad as You made it out to be. Now I am done with Arguing with You as You are Clearly Someone Who has to have the Last Word and Win no matter what. I just don't appreciate being called out and You telling Me I don't know what I'm Talking about when I have been researching the SA Operators for Several Months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I need the last word? You already said you were done before, and yet you continue, wanting to make something out of nothing. That fence post you mentioned has been ripped out of the ground and we are both beating a dead horse with it.
MSRP? Are you kidding? I did not make your pricing 'out to be bad'. The FACT is that you CAN get it for much less. $238 less, now don't go telling that to your LGS, that might 'offend' him, apparently. He's the guy trying to sell something to you y'know....
I did not need to specify half rail, because of CONTEXT and MATH. I gave you the SPECIFIC PRICE OF A HALF RAIL FROM GRAB A GUN in my first reply and added shipping and transfer, in the second. You said it would still be $1500 before that, and I said $1433 in response. The end. Clearly not talking about the full rail. Clearly responding to your reply that shipping and transfer would make it $1500 in regard to the half rail, and referencing my first reply in the context of 'erroneous', which was a reply in which I brought up the full rail. You had no mention of it in reply I originally quoted.
I was not trying to further this, I was trying to stop it. You just poured gasoline on it.. for what? You even posted an obnoxiously big image. Amazing. Of the MSRP of all things. Is that going to help the OP? No, it is just for you to continue to defend and argue your $1600 price. Why? Because that's what YOU would pay????
My so called Erroneous Pricing is based on what the OP could expect to Pay for the Gun at a Gun Shop not Dig around on the Internet and Find the Lowest Price Available! Not Everyone does that. I use the Internet as a Tool....
Does the OP share your sentiment? Is this thread about how YOU shop? Your whole argument against it was "$1600 and adjustable sights".. $1600 is "your native Floridian" pricing, maybe you should add a asterisk? I was trying to HELP THE OP, like I said. Informing him that, in fact, the pistols can be purchased for MUCH less. And yup, sights can be changed, but the OP's preference I do not know.
This is not about winning, I am trying to make you understand what I was saying, which you misconstrued, what is there to win exactly?? If you are offended by the word "erroneous" then I am sorry. It was not my intention to start any argument with you. Not "call you out". Not imply "you don't know what your talking about".
You say $1600 (from a L Florida GS?). I say $1362 from the net. OP possibly wants neither.
ETA: I just realized that the reserve price for the TRP full rail and the $1407+$6+$20 for the half rail from grab a gun I mentioned are both $1433, I am sure that did not help any confusion.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow, this sure did turn into a moron d!ck measuring contest You two get a room already.

OP, did you figure out what you want yet?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wow, this sure did turn into a moron d!ck measuring contest You two get a room already.

View Quote

Sorry to anyone that actually read through that nonsense.

OP needs to show up with some guiding light.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes i have decided to go with the TRP...  my 1/2 railed version should be here soon.  my local gun shop had the non railed version in stock for $1239

when it comes in i will post a pic and my final otd ohio price...
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

yes i have decided to go with the TRP...  my 1/2 railed version should be here soon.  my local gun shop had the non railed version in stock for $1239

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations You will Love the TRP and I hope You will save a Few Hundred off of the MSRP. I am Sorry Your Thread got Muddied Up with a Bunch of B.S. Enjoy Your New TRP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top