Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2015 11:54:45 AM EDT
Picked one up at the last show, finally got to shoot it last night.  About 100 rounds, all 230 gr hardball.  Three different mags; factory (Checkmates?), Kimber, and Springfield/Checkmate.

Zero malfunctions, decently accurate, recoil seemed milder than a full size 1911 (stiffer recoil spring?), trigger measured 4.5 pounds.  Novak sights worked as advertised.  

All in all a good night shooting. Very pleased.  This is my first Commander.  I think it's going into the carry rotation.  

For the money, these seem hard to beat.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]

I had a full sized and loved it. Good to know their Commander is getting the same good reviews.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both and love them both. For the money you can'ty hardly beat what you get from looks to performance. I know looks is in the individual, but I love stainless guns. Both of mine have been 100% since out of the box.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#3]
At their price point, I'd say Ruger appears to have done very well with this one. I might have to pick one up myself.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Steel frames on these guns?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been happy with my fullsize.  One of their Commander models is on my list of things to acquire.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:11:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
roger

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:28:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

ya but not that great and not impressed with the coating or whatever, both the sr's i had to go back for their rusting/finish problems, and yes i kept the gun uber clean and too k care of it. They shot decent...Full of MIM parts as yo ucan expect for the price. had the front site break off twice , while shooting it and something else,
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the full-size and CMD variants (both with steel frames) and I've been very pleased with both.  Neither is a Wilson CQB or a Les Baer Premier II but they didn't cost as much either.  

Very solid 1911's the for money and they're better than some of their more expensive "production gun" counterparts.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had the Full-Size Govt. SR for some time now, love it, no failures yet, well over 600 rounds through it. Very accurate for me. I didn't like the little guide rod and put in a Wilson Combat full-length guide rod kit.
I finally found a CMD this past December and got it as I wanted to have the "set" and it is every bit as nice as my full size. I have about 200 rounds down it. I also put a Wilson Combat CMD full-length guide rod kit in it as well.
I also use Wilson mags, been using them in all my 1911s over the years.

Ruger has a "lightweight" Commander listed on the website now - gonna have to get that too!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ruger has a "lightweight" Commander listed on the website now - gonna have to get that too!
View Quote

Now that would interest me
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ya but not that great and not impressed with the coating or whatever, both the sr's i had to go back for their rusting/finish problems, and yes i kept the gun uber clean and too k care of it. They shot decent...Full of MIM parts as yo ucan expect for the price. had the front site break off twice , while shooting it and something else,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first ones anyway were all stainless steel and had no coating on them. Yes stainless will rust because of the carbon in it which gives it it's strength but it is a LOT less likely to if properly cared for.bJust about every produstion gun on the market is full of mim parts and with the quality of todays mim, I am not even remotly worried about mine. For the last couple of years they have been flawless just like my Springfields.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, but alloy frame coming out this year from what I have read.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Just picked up a Lightweight Commander, shoots great and has eaten everything so far (FMJ, JHP and lead SWC).  The aluminum frame really cuts weight too.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just picked up a Lightweight Commander, shoots great and has eaten everything so far (FMJ, JHP and lead SWC).  The aluminum frame really cuts weight too.

http://i.imgur.com/hPowIXh.jpg
View Quote

Those are good looking guns and I'm looking forward to getting one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top