Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2015 6:32:24 PM EDT
I've seen a number of reviews for the Sig 1911's both praising them for accuracy, and damning them for reliability issues due to tight tolerances.
These reviews seem to be a couple years old, which leads me to my question of their current state.
Did Sig address these issues, or are the guns still having chambering problems?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Plain tacpac here, has been great.
Ive heard of issues with the tac ops or other top shelf sigs
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 2nd gen GSR 1911 that's been 100% for many years.

I have a new 1911 Carry Nightmare that's been 100% for a year or so now.

I say the Sig 1911s are the best you can get for the money- features, build, parts, reliability.

Where are you 'hearing' this?  Kimber customer service?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I've put about 600 rounds through my Scorpion TB over the last year or so with zero malfunctions of any sort. Good stuff! My P238 Extreme though? What a turd that was with an unfinished feed ramp and a shitty ass person on the line at Sigs customer service. Fixed it myself, now runs like a champ and eats any ammo.

Someone mentioned Kimbers customer service. Let me say I was so impressed with Kimbers customer service that I went and bought a matching 9mm Team Match2 to go with my 45. I called them when an adjustable rear sight screw broke on my Team Match2 45. They emailed me a UPS label and had the slide returned to me in under two weeks time shipping included at no charge whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#5]
My Scorpion has been 100% (got it two years ago).  Talking with other Sig 1911 owners at the range (5 or 6) shows similar experiences.  I don't doubt that an occasional Sig 1911  might turn out to be a lemon, but it seems that most are very well put together.

My Scorpion is my carry gun, btw.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback guys! I've been in the market for a 1911 for a while now, and this deal just kinda ended up falling in my lap.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 2nd gen GSR 1911 that's been 100% for many years.

I have a new 1911 Carry Nightmare that's been 100% for a year or so now.

I say the Sig 1911s are the best you can get for the money- features, build, parts, reliability.

Where are you 'hearing' this?  Kimber customer service?
View Quote

lol for sure!
No, I am looking at a pretty good deal on a Scorpion, and in my research found a handfull of youtube reviews and blogs where people complained about failures to chamber with the Sig 1911's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:06:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a Tac Pac 6 months ago, been 100% so far. I got it cause I wanted a 1911 and I love my 226 and 239...those two has been perfect since I bought them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:20:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I know the first gen GSRs were a shit show, but I think anything made in the last 4 or 5 years should be GTG.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:35:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a ultra compact with 1500 rounds through it without any reliability problems. I also have a full size that only has a couple hundred round but so far so good. I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a SIG from all the GOOD reports of reliability!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm curious about this in regards to the 1911 scorpion as well. My unit is going to make a "unit pistol" which we can opt in to buy, it Will cost around $1,000 for the scorpion, but I dont want to spend $1000 on a gun that malfunctions often; and I've heard alot about malfunctions with the scorpion in the past.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know the first gen GSRs were a shit show, but I think anything made in the last 4 or 5 years should be GTG.
View Quote

I had one of those shit shows.  It went straight back to the factory for a new extractor.  It would not chamber ammo my other guns would due to a tight chamber.  It would not run on a mildly cold day with the same grease all my other guns would.

It also seemed more blocky and heavy than a standard 1911.  

They can keep them. Good luck to the rest of you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a full size Scorpion.  Got it a little over one year ago. It runs just fine with the factory mags it came with and Chip McCormick mags. There have not been any malfunctions to speak of.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#14]
My experience with SIG 1911s is limited to the 1911 Super Target Nitron that I picked up on a whim at the gun show last November.

As of yesterday it's gone though 600 rounds right out of the box without a stoppage or malfunction of any kind and it's beautifully fit and finished as well.

Honestly; I'd have been willing to pay much more for that pistol, it compares favorably with some I own that cost roughly twice its price.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I have owned 4 sig 1911's and all were flawless (Traditional compact, traditional reverse two tone, scorpion carry tb, ultra compact)

they ran all ammo without a hitch

I wish my dan wesson cco could feed critical defense ammo like my sigs can
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Buy Sig 1911 with full confidence!  Absolute best value for what you get out there!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a used TacOps mostly just for a suppressor host but the thing feels and works so well, I'm going to start carrying it when I can find a damn holster that I like that actually fits the gun.

I feel bad because I used to give Sig 1911's so much crap and now I love mine insert foot into mouth I guess.

My used TacOps is super tight, runs 100% with or without suppressor and most of the time it's very dirty, it doesn't care. Love it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a SIG RCS Sport. The only problem I've had is with the SIG magazines, usually a failure to feed. It seems to me that the spring is a little weak. When I use Wilson magazines, no problems. Probably have close to 3000 rounds through mine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Full size Scorpion with no issues other than factory mags started to FTF after around 7-800 rounds. Been running the Wilson ETMs with no failures at all. It's my EDC.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I have owned a Scorpion for about 3 years now, used for 3Gun and some USPSA SS.  I did initially have some chambering issues, which tracked down to some out of spec bullets that I was reloading.  My other 1911's would eat them fine since they were a bit looser in the chamber.  Once I solved that problem, it has just run like a champ for over 8000 rounds. I would not hesitate to buy another one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I no longer have it, but the Tacops TB I had never had an issue in the 1000-1500 rounds I put through it. I only sold it because someone offered me way more than I paid for it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#22]
SIG TACOPS 1911: A DETAILED LOOK INSIDE

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=1673#more-1673
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I might be adding a Sig Spartan to my collection, and have been doing research for weeks.  I have come to the conclusion that Sig 1911's are GTG and are very well built with minimal issues.  My friend who I shoot with has Kimbers, Colt etc. and his Sig 1911 has over 1,000 rounds with zero issues.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm going to have to break this post up into a few sections since I am new a new poster here, and my limit is 200 characters. I bought my first 1911 about three years ago, and chose a Sig. Idk what model it is. It's full size, black, came with a flat mainspring housing and this kind of coarse sandpaper textured grips. And it has a rail. Also came in a kit with like a laser, a crappy pushbutton paddle holster, and a one magazine holder that didn't seem to have much utility. I don't have experience with any other 1911s, but the pistol itself has been great.

For the first two hundred or so rounds it had issues with feeding and ejection, which I read is to be expected during the break-in period of many 1911s. I also found the Sig brand magazines that it came with to be unreliable at holding the slide back after the last round. I replaced these with wilson combat magazines and those issues have not returned. I also replaced the mainspring housing with an arched one, which fit my hand better and allowed me to shoot more accurately. The front checkering was quite aggressive and quite painful at first, but I worked through it and my hands toughened up after a few weeks. I don't feel the front checkering anymore.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I primarily shoot either steel cased tulammo, or blazer brass for practice. I read online that steel cased ammo is bad for 1911s, and when shooting in low light I can sometimes see sparks fly out of the gun which I suspect are caused by the steel cases dragging against the steel chamber, but I have not yet encountered any noticeable wear problems. I just have to scrub out the chamber really well with a nylon brush after shooting due to the increased carbon fouling. I suspect the cost savings from buying steel cased offsets the cost of replacement parts if accelerated wear is occurring. I recently began reloading so I imagine I won't be purchasing any more steel cased ammo after my current supply is exhausted.

I clean it with WD-40 and lube it with 10w30 synthetic motor oil. I estimate that I have put over 2000 rounds and probably closer to 3000 through this pistol in hot weather, rain, and in subfreezing temperatures with no environmental related malfunctions. At 10 or 15 yards standing I can usually make one big ragged hole. At 25 yards standing I can keep it on a paper plate. At 50 yards standing I can hit the gongs at the range a majority of the time. I have not tried shooting it off a rest, but I am sure the pistol is more accurate than I am.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#26]
For self defense I load it with 230 grain Speer Gold Dot. My wife shoots one of the 3.8" barreled XDMs, so I purchased a bunch of the speer gold dot short barrel loading to keep things simple. In my penetration tests shooting water filled soda bottles with the cartridge marketed for short barrels out of the full sized pistol, the bullet will penetrate to the same depth as out of the the XDM (into the third bottle) and mushroom well, although the petals appear to be peeled farther back than rounds shot from the shorter barreled XDM. This makes sense, since the only difference between the regular cartridges and the cartridges marketed for short barreled pistols are that the GDSB has a deeper hollow point. I do not have a chronograph to test the velocities yet, but I think it is reasonable to assume the higher velocity from the longer barrel peels the petals further back.

The only ammo related problems I had were when I tested +P ammo. The Sig factory told me that it's fine to shoot +P, just not often. I didn't really like this advice, since I believe you should practice often enough with your chosen self-defense ammo that you remain proficient with it, and can identify any ammo-related malfunctions. The shop I bought the pistol from recommended switching to a heavier spring to reduce wear and tear from the +P loads. The combination of heavier spring with +P ammo lead to feeding problems with Speer 200 grain, and Buffalo Bore 255 grain, so I abandoned the idea of carrying +P ammo in my pistol on a daily basis. In the future I will probably try again experimenting with different brands and different weight springs. I would welcome any advice anyone here has for me about this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Shooting with a TLR-2 light attached to the rail causes no malfunctions, and no noticeable change in point of aim, both with the 8 round and 10 round wilson combat magazines. It fits in a shotlock pistol safe with the light attached and a 10 round magazine in place.

I am fortunate enough to live in a place where open carry is common. I have found it to be very comfortable to carry in a leather blackhawk holster to my right rear, and a a blackhawk leather two magazine holster on my left front. When I have to go into the city where open carry might cause visiting californians to lose their shit, A button-up shirt covers it up reasonably well.

Read about how I used the spring out of an Epi Pen as a recoil spring in this pistol here
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Picked up a Sig Scorpion a few weeks ago and have put about 200 rounds through it with the stock magazines.

No issues at all.

Ammo used:
- Magtech 230 grain FMJ
- Federal 230 grian FMJ
- Winchester 230 grain FMJ

Field striped it when I got it home, cleaned and re-lubed with Mil-Comm grease.

This is one accurate gun as long as I do my part. I've only ever owned Glocks and I really love the 1911 platform so far. Can't wait to put many more rounds through it......and buy another one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#29]
My sig scorpion has been completely dependable... And looks badass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#30]
No problems at all with my Tac Ops that I bought new in 2011.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My sig scorpion has been completely dependable... And looks badass.
View Quote

Mine has an FTF every mag.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I picked up a scorpion about 2 years ago.  It would fail to go into battery once or twice per mag. Sent it back to sig. When it came back still did the same thing and would also fail to lock the the rear after the last round. Sent it back to sig again. This time they fixed it right, has been flawless since.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I also have a scorpion carry that wouldnt go into battery occasionally. I have been told they have tight chambers, so I just kept shooting it, probably 200 rounds and now it always chambers. I think they are just tight guns and need some break in. It is scarey accurate and very reliable now, over 1k thru it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:23:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I had a TacOpsTB that was nice, but I sold it when it failed the extractor test. That was the only issue I had with it however.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#35]
My SIG 1911 Super Target Nitron went through its 900th round earlier this week without a stoppage or malfunction of any kind right out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#36]
My new Traditional Match Elite in 9mm is good so far. Put about 60 rounds FMJ and 25 rounds HP through it. Fit and finish is superb. A couple times the slide didn't want to drop forward on a full mag. Took a couple pulls to get it to go. More of a mag issue I think.I have a couple WC mags coming.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had a TacOpsTB that was nice, but I sold it when it failed the extractor test. That was the only issue I had with it however.
View Quote

Surprised, mine both pass repeatedly without issue
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My new Traditional Match Elite in 9mm is good so far. Put about 60 rounds FMJ and 25 rounds HP through it. Fit and finish is superb. A couple times the slide didn't want to drop forward on a full mag. Took a couple pulls to get it to go. More of a mag issue I think.I have a couple WC mags coming.

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/6199/wng3dK.jpg
View Quote

Where did you get the punisher grips?

My Sig Extreme has been trouble free along with traditional stainless compact.  They are scary accurate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is a really beautiful 1911.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#40]
my tac ops has been flawless.... If it didn't have the external extractor I'd love it.

But for some reason that bothers me to the point where i may end up trading it
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My Sig Extreme has been trouble free along with traditional stainless compact.  They are scary accurate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/1911-Pistol-Grips-25-Thickness/dp/B00AS47A92/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1425306721&sr=1-1&keywords=punisher+honey+comb+grips
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man. Sig did a great job with this one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top