Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 8:25:53 PM EDT
I am new to the 1911 world. I am looking for a basic pistol. It will be primarily for range use. The main factor for me is reliability, not bells and whistles. I need to keep it under $1,000. Are there certain brands to avoid or certain brands to look for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield or Colt.

Or a a Rock Island and a lot of mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the big name brand guns like Colt, Springfield, ET.

Meet three people that had those Rock Island 1911's; they all loved 'em. Never had a problem, thought they shot great.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys! I have looked at the Springfield lineup and liked their Range Officer model. I have heard good things about the Springfields, but wasn't sure how they compared to Colt, Ruger, etc.

Keep them coming.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys! I have looked at the Springfield lineup and liked their Range Officer model. I have heard good things about the Springfields, but wasn't sure how they compared to Colt, Ruger, etc.

Keep them coming.
View Quote

Ruger is GTG too. The Springfield Range officer is a good pistol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there any advantage of finish, stainless steel vs blued or parkerized? Or is that just a personal preference type thing?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is there any advantage of finish, stainless steel vs blued or parkerized? Or is that just a personal preference type thing?
View Quote

I would say stainless>park>blued for corrosion resistance. Keep it oiled and any of them will be fine.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would say stainless>park>blued for corrosion resistance. Keep it oiled and any of them will be fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true, but a blued gun also does not exhibit as much friction as stainless does. At least with bare metal in bare metal. A blued gun will feel smoother when cycling than the same exact gun in stainless.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want a good no frills gun for a grand...

The only answer is a Colt O1991.  

It's a helluva good gun that far surpasses any Springfield that's not a Custom Shop gun, they look good and they run.

I would stick with a blued carbon steel 5".   I would rather have parkerized, but Colts come blued or stainless, and I loathe stainless.  

With a couple of mods, they're bulletproof.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a RO and like it a lot, has shot well for me right from the box, with your budget you should be able to buy one with money left over for some extras.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mostly preference on the finish. as said before, Springfield and Colts you can't hardly go wrong.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Springfield Armory Loaded or Range Officer it depends if You want Fixed Sights or Adjustable Rear. The Loaded can be bought with 3 White Dot or Night Sights. Springfield Armory makes the Best under 1000.00 1911 Period! They have Forged Steel Frames and Slides and First Rate Customer Service. No Other MFG can Match That.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:37:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's a helluva good gun that far surpasses any Springfield that's not a Custom Shop gun, they look good and they run.

I would stick with a blued carbon steel 5".   I would rather have parkerized, but Colts come blued or stainless, and I loathe stainless.  

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/002_zps405b141d.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/003_zps6ef37998.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/004_zps85a330ec.jpg
View Quote

NICE!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

NICE!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/002_zps405b141d.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/003_zps6ef37998.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/004_zps85a330ec.jpg

NICE!

My First Handgun I Bought for Myself when I turned 21 was a COLT Series 70 That was 30 Years ago, I have Owned a Many a COLT since then. I have Owned Pre Series 70 National Match to Series 80 's Including 1 O1991 Out of all the Ones I owned Over 10 for sure I lost Count along time ago, only a Few Really Stood Out What I noticed with COLT is the Machining can be hit or miss Meaning it can be Perfect or Down Right Sloppy! And there Many Gunsmiths that will back this up just ask Them.
The Series 80's Guns Have the Firing Pin Safety and Plastic Mainspring Housings, and MIM Parts. I owned a Early Springfield Milspec that was made 20 plus Years ago and it had the 2 Piece Barrel and not perfect Machining. I sold it and never had any Interest to Own Another One until Last Year when I Bought a TRP and Recently this Year Bought a Milspec Both of these have the NM Marked Frames and Made in the USA The Machining on Both is Perfect and All Springfield 1911's are based on Series 70 COLTS Meaning No Firing Pin Safety to add more Mechanical Parts and Affect the Trigger.
The Machining on My 675.00 Milspec is as Good or Better Than any COLT I have ever Owned and I had at least 3 Gold Cups and 1 Pre Series 70 National Match. I believe since Dave Williams and Rob Leathem got Involved the Quality at Springfield has Increased Alot. Just like You I was a Die Hard COLT Person but not anymore there are just as good and better Options Availble Today thanks to CNC Machining. If COLT was so great why did the FBI Choose the Springfield Armory Professional over COLT and Many Others?
Your Statement that a O1991 COLT Far Surpases any Springfield Except a Custom Shop Gun is Incorrect a TRP is Light Years above a O1991 and the Loaded is way above the 1991 and I will put My Milspec up against Your O1991 any Day. My New Milspec Made in America has a Perfectly Machined Slide and Frame with Zero Play between the Frame and Slide, It has a Lowered and Flared Ejection Port and a Match Grade Barrel that looks just like the Barrel in My TRP Which is Supplied By Storm Lake Barrels. The Feed Ramp is Perfectly Machined and Polished as is the Barrel Throat. And it does NOT have a Firing Pin Safety!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Pictures of My Milspec

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Springfield or Colt.

Or a a Rock Island and a lot of mags and ammo.
View Quote

This.

Start with Springfield. Their warranty is also bullet proof if you do ever have any trouble.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have a $1000 budget, I'd recommend the Springfields.  For a few hundred less you can get the Ruger, and spend the rest of your budget on ammo and mags.  Either would be a solid choice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the Springfield Range Officer full size for reasonably priced range duty.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all of the input.  Let me explain where I stand.  For the last ten years or so, I have been focused on Glocks. Then I went to the range with a couple of friends. One had a Springfield RO and an Ed Brown (not sure which model.) the other guy had a Colt MK IV and a Sprinfield Lightweight. I was really impressed with how the 1911s shot. Well, it is about time for me to add to the stable. I decided that I need to diversify a little. So I decided to go with a 1911, but I know very little about them.

That is when I decided to check in with you all. After reading all of the input, yesterday I went to LGS to look at a few and also did some research on line. You guys taught me a lot,for instance, i did not know the difference between a series 70 and series 80. I definitely want a series 70 style pistol. Also, I have decided to go with the stainless steel version. Nearly all of my other pistols are black. That being said, I am leaning towards a Springfield Loaded. I am not 100%, but pretty sure that is what I will get unless I run across a super deal on one of the others.

Again, thanks for all of the input, advice, opinions, and etc. It is greatly appreciated.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am new to the 1911 world. I am looking for a basic pistol. It will be primarily for range use. The main factor for me is reliability, not bells and whistles. I need to keep it under $1,000. Are there certain brands to avoid or certain brands to look for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
View Quote

Dave I was at a gun show in Houston last weekend and found brand new govt. Models for sale for just under your budget. Even had a stainless Delta Elite for $975, almost bought it....

For a few dollars more you could have a Kimber if you should be so inclined.

My choice would be the Colt for your budget.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a RO and like it a lot, has shot well for me right from the box, with your budget you should be able to buy one with money left over for some extras.
View Quote

This is what I did. I also put a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight on it, and had the pistol cerakoted (I just don't care for parkerized finishes).  I also put some VZ grips on it.

It's a great pistol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I definitely want a series 70 style pistol.
View Quote

You're gonna shoot yourself when you stumble on the stairs while wearing a 70 series.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Colt O1991 model - $710 at Bud's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Was gonna say black friday i picked up a dan wesson heritage for under a 1000 brand new...

As that is a lot of pistol for the money..

A decent starter, id look at  rock island, want to move up a little ruger SR, then a slew of springfields...So many..lol..i have had some and more of al lof them and so far for the money the dan wesson is a lot of pistol, but for half the price the rock is a good gun and for a 100 bux plus or minus, you can get a new ruger sr
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#26]
My first 1911 was a Rock Island FS railed, and turned into a great starter 1911.   While the gun was damn near flawless when it comes to operation, I just couldn't really love the rail.  Only bought it because I got a great deal on it new.   Since then I have put well over 8k rounds down the pipe.  Only malfunctions to date were from handloads.   Two very underpowered rounds that hardly had enough power to move the slide.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't be put off by the "Series 80" safety feature. It is an excellent upgrade to the original design. I have both types and have yet to feel a difference between them in actual use. Disassembly and reassembly are easy for anyone with an IQ greater than 70. I am confident that if John Moses were able to see a series 80 safety, he would say "Why didn't I think of that?!

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You're gonna shoot yourself when you stumble on the stairs while wearing a 70 series.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I definitely want a series 70 style pistol.

If I am that clumsy, I have no business walking around with a gun strapped to my side.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Don't be put off by the "Series 80" safety feature. It is an excellent upgrade to the original design. I have both types and have yet to feel a difference between them in actual use. Disassembly and reassembly are easy for anyone with an IQ greater than 70. I am confident that if John Moses were able to see a series 80 safety, he would say "Why didn't I think of that?!  
View Quote

This. I've got 2 high dollar Colts, a Series 70 and a Series 80. I can slightly tell a difference, but it's so minor as to not be a concern what so ever.

Colt, Springfield, you can't go wrong. Many folks are quite happy with Sig and Smith and Wesson, as well as Remington and Ruger. However, there are things I don't care for with the last two, such as cast frames, lots of MIM, and Ruger front sights snapping off.

By the way, Ruger is great with their castings. Personally though, I just can't buy a copy when I can get a Colt for about the same price.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Holy smokes; if you can swing a couple of hundred dollars more, this is one of the best deals you'll run across. The pistol in my avatar is a customized Wiley Clapp.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/411552582/redirect
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#31]
For what you get out of the box for the price, Sig is your answer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top