Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
OP, do let us know which one you choose.  And then post pics or no one will believe you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You really don't understand my point.

Would you rather have the nicest car that Chrysler makes, or a mid-range Mercedes?  Assuming the price is close.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would you rather buy the nicest house in a blue collar neighborhood, or a mid range house in an elite neighborhood?

I think your giving the valor more credit than it deserves.....nothing "elite" about it, or at least more elite than a TRP.

Would you rather have the nicest car that Chrysler makes, or a mid-range Mercedes?  Assuming the price is close.

You're making a point that nobody cares about and questionably exists in the first place.  Do you own both and do you shoot both?  I do and I can tell you I spent more on my TRP than I did on my Valor, my TRP gets a lot more attention on the range, and they are completely comparable as equals.  The dichotomy you're forcing of one being a Chrysler and one being a Mercedes doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing against the TRP but for me the Valor is tops in its price range, I've owned three and all were fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#4]
TRP is my range and practice 1911 and a Valor is my carry 1911.
Love them both
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You're making a point that nobody cares about and questionably exists in the first place.  Do you own both and do you shoot both?  I do and I can tell you I spent more on my TRP than I did on my Valor, my TRP gets a lot more attention on the range, and they are completely comparable as equals.  The dichotomy you're forcing of one being a Chrysler and one being a Mercedes doesn't exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would you rather buy the nicest house in a blue collar neighborhood, or a mid range house in an elite neighborhood?

I think your giving the valor more credit than it deserves.....nothing "elite" about it, or at least more elite than a TRP.

I see a lot of posts with people not liking MIM parts.  Do they work? Yes.  Are they as nice as machined parts? No.

Chrysler vs. Mercedes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I see a lot of posts with people not liking MIM parts.  Do they work? Yes.  Are they as nice as machined parts? No.

Chrysler vs. Mercedes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chrysler vs. Mercedes.

Your giving the valor more credit than it deserves.  Its not a mercedes - crystler comparison. Both production guns.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The Valor has less MIM and no annoying ILS system and two piece guide rod.  It also runs several hundred dollars more than the TRP.  Either is an excellent value at their price points.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gonna hold out until after I see what's coming out at SHOT, but if I'm going 1911 it'll probably be about $1500 or so for one.

Do they both feel the same in hand?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Gonna hold out until after I see what's coming out at SHOT, but if I'm going 1911 it'll probably be about $1500 or so for one.

Do they both feel the same in hand?

No.

I have soft hands, the TRP felt like a cheese grater. The Valor was a little less "graty". The deciding factor for me though was features, or lack thereof. I chose the Valor because I didn't want ambi safety or front serrations and liked the style of sight better.

I would highly recommend holding one at the very least before buying one. Surely there is a shop in your area with a TRP for sale that you can hold.
Quoted:
The Valor has less MIM and no annoying ILS system and two piece guide rod.

The Valor has exactly zero MIM parts, not just less, none.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I may have located a used TRP Operator for about $1150.

Is there a consensus on the bull barrel? It doesn't look as pretty as the traditional barrel front, but I'll shut up if it's more accurate. Is it also easier to take down because of this?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:37:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Valor has less MIM and no annoying ILS system and two piece guide rod.  It also runs several hundred dollars more than the TRP.  Either is an excellent value at their price points.
View Quote

Aside from the inferior metallurgy, the inferior two-piece guide rod and the dreadful integral locking system, I think the hacks at Springfunny cut a dusthole in the chamber so you can try eyeballing a cartridge in your barrel to see if the weapon is loaded.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Chrysler vs. Mercedes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chrysler vs. Mercedes.

Why are the machined parts "nicer"?

Guns are not cars, so weak analogies do not really help.  A 1911 is not always equal to the sum of it's parts either.

I believe Double Star claimed all forged and bar-stock parts, and they didn't really do to well.  

The SA Professional uses quite a few MIM parts and is generally considered the benchmark for a hard use, combat 1911.

The Valor and TRP are nice but have differences.  This discussion has nothing to do with Chrysler or Mercedes.  Articulate in quantifiable terms why one is better than the other, or just stop.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Aside from the inferior metallurgy, the inferior two-piece guide rod and the dreadful integral locking system, I think the hacks at Springfunny cut a dusthole in the chamber so you can try eyeballing a cartridge in your barrel to see if the weapon is loaded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is this horseshit?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What is this horseshit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is this horseshit?

Ask Spongefunk, they are the ones doing it.  They actually cut open the back of the chamber and call it a loaded chamber indicator.  As if anyone really needed another reason to buy the better product from DW or Colt.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#14]
thread needs more pics.

DSC_5565 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a SA Lightweight Champion Operator that I like a lot and will probably add a TRP in the future but for now this is my favorite 1911.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ask Spongefunk, they are the ones doing it.  They actually cut open the back of the chamber and call it a loaded chamber indicator.  As if anyone really needed another reason to buy the better product from DW or Colt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is this horseshit?

They do that to get by some of the commie states BS laws. Better than Rugers stupid lever that pops up on some of their pistols.

SA makes a good product. 2 pc guide rod and the ILS is easily changed. You're spreading horseshit.

I believe I can speak for both as I own a Valor and have owned somewhere around 7-8 SA pistols over the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They do that to get by some of the commie states BS laws. Better than Rugers stupid lever that pops up on some of their pistols.  

SA makes a good product. 2 pc guide rod and the ILS is easily changed. You're spreading horseshit.

I believe I can speak for both as I own a Valor and have owned somewhere around 7-8 SA pistols over the last 10 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is this horseshit?

You can also swap out all the powdered metal parts with the 2 piece guide rod on the TRannyPistol too, no arguing that.   The debris-insert-insert-here hole in the barrel is another story.  

They really do that for commie states?  That is so sweet of them, but why punish the rest of the people who are unable to purchase the better DW product?  

Congratulations on the Valor, that is a fine pistol.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#18]
The TRP is a great pistol, I just think it somehow worked itself to be over priced above the $800 mark where a pistol of that quality belongs.  Have to love advertising, and advertising is one area where Springfield is an industry leader.  Look with what they did with another imported pistol - the HS2000.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#19]
"The Valor and TRP are nice but have differences. This discussion has nothing to do with Chrysler or Mercedes. Articulate in quantifiable terms why one is better than the other, or just stop."

In terms that you won't understand, one is made for people that are impressed with a warranty and customer service(which you would only know is good because so many have been sent back), and one is made for people that value a finely made firearm that won't need customer service.  

This has everything to do with Chrysler/Mercedes.  If you can't tell the difference in the build quality between the two, so be it.

Drive your Chrysler, shoot your SA, and say that they are just the same as a Dan Wesson or Mercedes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

"The Valor and TRP are nice but have differences. This discussion has nothing to do with Chrysler or Mercedes. Articulate in quantifiable terms why one is better than the other, or just stop."

In terms that you won't understand, one is made for people that are impressed with a warranty and customer service(which you would only know is good because so many have been sent back), and one is made for people that value a finely made firearm that won't need customer service.  

This has everything to do with Chrysler/Mercedes.  If you can't tell the difference in the build quality between the two, so be it.

Drive your Chrysler, shoot your SA, and say that they are just the same as a Dan Wesson or Mercedes.
View Quote
So you can't then.  Got it.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Fit, finish, trigger, the way the thumb safety clicks in a positive firm way.  The tight, close fit of the slide to the frame.  

Some people appreciate quality, some buy Chryslers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fit, finish, trigger, the way the thumb safety clicks in a positive firm way.  The tight, close fit of the slide to the frame.  

View Quote

I've bought both and they're pretty similar in all of the things you've mentioned.  Quit talking out of your ass.

Edit - better yet, since you've kept up your trolling for a number of threads here, why don't you post pictures of your Valor and TRP that you know so well and demonstrate individual details that set them apart.  I actually own both and have posted a picture of mine together and I'm telling you they are not all that different.  Until you can back up that mouth why don't you knock it off.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've bought both and they're pretty similar in all of the things you've mentioned.  Quit talking out of your ass.

Edit - better yet, since you've kept up your trolling for a number of threads here, why don't you post pictures of your Valor and TRP that you know so well and demonstrate individual details that set them apart.  I actually own both and have posted a picture of mine together and I'm telling you they are not all that different.  Until you can back up that mouth why don't you knock it off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right, I own neither, but have handled and fired each.  

A quick head count,from this thread only, has the DW preferred 2 to 1 over the SA as a nicer pistol.  

Scroll back and read the comments.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A quick head count,from this thread only, has the DW preferred 2 to 1 over the SA as a nicer pistol.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a nicer pistol. But it costs more. Is it worth the upcharge?  Not IMO.  Ill spend a little more than that and get a baer or a rra.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, your previous posts might have led someone to believe that you had a lot of experience with both pistols.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Both are solid pistols so buy what you PERSONALLY like or prefer the best.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Valor
View Quote

By a mile.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wow, your previous posts might have led someone to believe that you had a lot of experience with both pistols.

Long term reliability, I have no experience.  If you can pick up two pistols, rack the slides, operate the safeties, try the triggers, and run a few mags through each.  

If after that limited test, one stands out as being better put together, then that is what I have.  

And I'm backed up two to one in this thread.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long term reliability, I have no experience.  If you can pick up two pistols, rack the slides, operate the safeties, try the triggers, and run a few mags through each.  

If after that limited test, one stands out as being better put together, then that is what I have.  

And I'm backed up two to one in this thread.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It is a nicer pistol. But it costs more. Is it worth the upcharge?  Not IMO.  Ill spend a little more than that and get a baer or a rra.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP said he used to have an Ed Brown.  Now choosing between a top of the line SA or a low end DW.  

He may be better off spending a couple hundred more.  I agree with that, but the SA is not the answer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

OP said he used to have an Ed Brown.  Now choosing between a top of the line SA or a low end DW.  

He may be better off spending a couple hundred more.  I agree with that, but the SA is not the answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The valor is listed as the flagship dw 1911......not a low end.  Im not saying the valor isnt better, it is made with better components.  Im just saying its not a real semi custom.  You can get one new or used for just a little bit more.  All im saying is either pony up a bit more and get a semi custom, or save a little and get a (just as reliable and fun) TRP.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top