Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2014 12:51:56 PM EDT
I just purchased a Norinco 1911 for $200.  It has quite a bit of holster wear, but no pitting or anything like that.  I took it out and fired it and it seems fine.

I am torn on whether just to leave it alone or to start messing around as a project gun.  Sink a few bucks into it and see if I can make a nicer looking gun out of it.

I have other 1911s and this one is just something to mess around with.  

Also, what does anyone know about them?  I have heard they used good steel in the frame and slide, but the barrel wasn't spectacular.  What have you all done with them, if you own one.

I put a box of 50 rds through it and it seems to shoot pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one, but I would:

replace the barrel
longer trigger
beavertail safety
Cerakote
and maybe better sights
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Cool.  I know they used good tool steel to make the frame and slide, but the rest im not sure of.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty! I'm not sure I would have spent that kind of money on a Norinco myself. I have one and like it but seems like I would have done it to a Colt or Springer instead.

I also don't care for the slide top treatment and would have just gone serrated but hey, to each their own and that's why they're custom. Nicely done though!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I would probably leave it alone.  That steel is hard has hell.  If I recall correctly, the Chinese melted down railroad rails to make those things.  Rumor is that Wilson started out using a lot of Norincos for their very first builds.  

I thought about modifying mine but for what it cost to do it I could go out and buy a RIA tactical or somesuch thing.  Mine shoots so darn good it doesn't need much.  The only thing I don't like is the bite, which I'm sure you are familiar with.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not mine.  I just remember seeing it.

In reality, for $200 I'd enjoy getting an inexpensive 1911 and fix problems if they popped up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

For years Norinco was on the very short list (right on their order forms) of 1911s they would accept for custom builds.  They changed the form several years back but I have PDFs of them through the years, before and after.

I've had a few Norinco 1911s over the years and they were all good pistols.  In retrospect, I should have kept at least one of them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would probably leave it alone.  That steel is hard has hell.  If I recall correctly, the Chinese melted down railroad rails to make those things.  Rumor is that Wilson started out using a lot of Norincos for their very first builds...

For years Norinco was on the very short list (right on their order forms) of 1911s they would accept for custom builds.  They changed the form several years back but I have PDFs of them through the years, before and after.

I've had a few Norinco 1911s over the years and they were all good pistols.  In retrospect, I should have kept at least one of them.

Thank you for sharing that.  It's nice to know that from time to time I remember something correctly.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
For $200 I'd just keep shooting the heck out of it and change things as you decide the need swapping out.  Probably do the sights first, and then you may not need to change anything else.

I have an RIA 1911 I've been trying to decide if I want to change anything with or not and keep deciding to just leave it alone.  I did take the wood grips off and put on an old pair of 1911 GI checker grips though.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Spray paint it, and put the thing through the ringer. A Norinco 1911 will eat that up. I've got one. They're tough guns.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
What you have there is a Mack truck for very little money. Mack trucks are ugly, but they are the toughest trucks out there and that is why they are favored for extreme duty applications. You will rarely see an over the road Mack, and conversely, you will rarely see a dump, construction, drill rig, or concrete truck that isn't a Mack.

Just keep your Mack a Mack and don't try to make a Kenworth out of it. If you get the opportunity to participate in a proper combat pistol course, you will have a reliable and durable pistol to use that you will not mind getting scratched/dinged/ dented/ etc.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, I was kind of torn as to whether to drop in every custom part I could find, cerakote the crap out of it or just leave it. I think I may slap some different grips on it and maybe a new trigger for now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Keep an eye on the barrel lugs, as some Norc 1911s had poorly fitted barrels, and the lugs would peen after not many rounds. The "railroad steel" story is a myth, as the Chinese have serious steel making abilities. The 1911s are not hammered out in some rickety backyard smelter, but in a real factory.

I'd slap a set of used wood grips on the gun and shoot the shit out of it. If you want it to look prettier, then have it reblued or parkerized. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd probably leave it as.  Unmolested Norcs are getting hard to find.  Not that it will ever be a collector's item.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree with the above "leave it" crowd--perhaps try my hand at a home park or blue job.

Can you post some pics?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Keep an eye on the barrel lugs, as some Norc 1911s had poorly fitted barrels, and the lugs would peen after not many rounds. The "railroad steel" story is a myth, as the Chinese have serious steel making abilities. The 1911s are not hammered out in some rickety backyard smelter, but in a real factory.

I'd slap a set of used wood grips on the gun and shoot the shit out of it. If you want it to look prettier, then have it reblued or parkerized. Enjoy!
View Quote

What!? Next you'll tell me that the Sistemas weren't made from steel salvaged from the Graf Spee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top