Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2014 11:28:32 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy a Remington Rand 1911A1.  I honestly don't know much about them at all.  Is Remington Rand the same as Remington Arms?  When were they made?  What is one in average condition worth?

Thank you for any help
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:14:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is a Remington Rand, look to see if it has US Property stamped on it. Tons were made in the 40's and were in use until fairly recently. Less than ten years ago I paid around $800 for one that was refinished and set up with target sights. Probably overpaid for it.

As a piece of history, I think they're pretty cool. I've seen them go as low as $500 and as high as a couple grand (in stupid good condition...) Mine is most definitely a shooter and has little to no collector value, except to me.

Hope that helps at all.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Remington rand was a business machine company. Not a arms company. As mentioned they were a World War Two producer of 1911a1 pistols. If it is a complete unmolested , not refinished gi gun about a grand is base price these days. Keep in mind being a novice you can easily over pay for a bad example. Make absolutely sure the frame is usgi and it was very common for these to be bubba'd after ww2. It was very common during arsenal rebuilds for frames to be replaced so the ied saying Remington rand means nothing. Also in years past spare usgi slides were used on frames by companies like Essex. Those guns are worth little. Good reference books research and for further help here lots of pictures will help keep you out of trouble. Keep in mind for example a truly all correct say 95% condition gun might be worth 2 grand. The same gun with a refinish is worth 800, and with a replacement non usgi barrel and say aftermarket sights drop it to 600.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Browse here for a start...

A couple of threads...

"From 1942 to 1945, Remington Rand was one manufacturer of the M1911A1 .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol used by the United States Armed Forces during World War II. Remington Rand produced more M1911A1 pistols than any other wartime manufacturer.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Rand#cite_note-3][3][/url] Remington Rand ranked 66th among United States corporations in the value of World War II military production contracts.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Rand#cite_note-4][4][/url]"

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a chance to buy a Remington Rand 1911A1.  I honestly don't know much about them at all.  Is Remington Rand the same as Remington Arms?  When were they made?  What is one in average condition worth?

Thank you for any help
View Quote

No, Remington Rand and Remington Arms are not the same.

During WWII the Army needed 1911's and Colt simply couldn't make them fast enough.  So the govt awarded contracts to other companies to make more of them.  Remington-Rand is one of those.

They are great 1911A1's.  They are USGI guns that should say "United States Property" on them, and as such are valued by many.  

Be aware that the slide is the only part that says "Remington-Rand" on it.  So you have to look at the serial number, frame markings, inspector proofs, "United States Property" which should be on the frame, etc. to make sure it's genuine.  As captain127 said, watch out that it's not just a Remington-Rand slide on an aftermarket frame.  The value difference is huge.

The current Remington Arms 1911 has nothing to do with the Remington-Rand 1911.  Confusion is understandable, but just know they are two different guns, made by two different companies, separated by 70 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top