Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2014 12:21:25 PM EDT
I currently have a Rail Gun. I'd like to get a regular full-sized Colt and am trying to decide between the CCG and the Combat Elite.  Looking at the specs, they are pretty similar with the main differences being the frame finish/material and the sights. Does anyone have any other info or preference that could help sway me? I like the two-tone look and if I don't get the CE I will have the Rail Gun refinished in some sort of two-tone. But I also like the blued frame/slide that the CCG has. I also want to get a Commander so "Get Both!" isn't viable at this point. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what features you value.

I have a CE and it is an excellent weapon, but so is the CCG. I have a Colt Gunsite that is similar in concept to the CCG.

Looks like the biggest difference is that the CCG has thin grips and the CE has wide grips.

CE probably is a bigger bang for the buck- you can find them for well under $1000.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on what features you value.

I have a CE and it is an excellent weapon, but so is the CCG. I have a Colt Gunsite that is similar in concept to the CCG.

Looks like the biggest difference is that the CCG has thin grips and the CE has wide grips.

CE probably is a bigger bang for the buck- you can find them for well under $1000.
View Quote

Price difference is a good point. There is a $59 price difference between the two where I am looking with the CCG being the higher price. Both are under $1k.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if it matters to you or not, but it might be tough to find the CCG new. They are both very nice; it would be a tough choice for me. I love two-tones, but I've got that covered. I've owned a CE before, and it functioned flawlessly.

Glad that I'm not having to choose!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the CCG. There is no classier pistol in Colt's production line-up IMO.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
CCG is a classy pistol.  It also has no FLGR and front serrations.

The Combat Elite is a nice pistol too.  I'd just swap in a regular recoil setup and flat head grip screws and have a great pistol.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd get a CCG if it were available in CA.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I would (and did) get the CCG. They are more scarce than the CE. I also prefer the CCG sights and no front serrations on the slide.

Here's mine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not sure if it matters to you or not, but it might be tough to find the CCG new...
View Quote

CCGs are no longer listed by Colt so the CE will be MUCH easier to find. I have both and wouldn't part with either.

CCG

Combat Elite
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd go for the CCG, but good luck finding one. I saw one at a gun show a few months ago for $999, that is the only one I have ever seen in person.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I got the CCG. I found it for $974/shipped brand new so I went ahead and jumped on it. Thanks for all the advice!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got the CCG. I found it for $974/shipped brand new so I went ahead and jumped on it. Thanks for all the advice!
View Quote

Congrats! That's a deal.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Good job and a good price. I have both. The CE is an excellent buy. To me it is the best 1K Colt available. It has all the modern features a person needs for a great carry 1911. The CCG on the other hand, incorporates everything needed for a carry 1911 in a classic package. Blued steel with a modern feel. The ONLY thing I don't care for on the CCG is the matte blue finish. I think it would have been so much nicer to have the polished blued flats like the CE.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I would go CCG
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm making the same choice now, either the Combat Elite or the Colt Concealed Carry Government.

My thoughts->

Either would be an excellent first 1911, for me, in my opinion.  I'm leaning more toward the CCG, being a less flashy/more restrained design.

But I have zero experience with the light-pipe style front sight, so another pause.  The solution might be a brass Novak front sight.  Or something else that fits the front sight dovetail.

I read somewhere the CCG bluing described as 'thin' or faded  Anyone?  No mention of the bluing on the Combat Elite, so I take it no complaints.

Price difference will be about $50.00 between the two.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I own both.  The CCG is more accurate and has a better front sight and the speed bump safety, which I personally prefer.   I also like the CCG slim grips and prefer them over the grips on the Combat Elite.

Freehand shooting at 25 yards

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:41:54 AM EDT
[#16]
ken_mays...
What do you think of the triggers?  Any preference?
The CE is reported to feed anything.  The same for the CCG?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:59:59 AM EDT
[#17]
The trigger on my Combat Elite was at least 6 pounds and I ended up replacing the sear and adjusting the sear spring to get it down to about 4.   The CCG came out of the box at around 4.5 pounds.   It wouldn't surprise me to discover this is not a consistent situation across the board, however.    The CCG's trigger shoe looks longer than the CE but they are actually the same length.

The barrel throats in each gun appear to be identical.  

Since I pulled them out of the safe, here are a few other observations.  

CE:
Comes with one-piece full length guide rod.  Some people don't like them (I don't mind it).
Has flared & lowered ejection port
3-dot Novak sights (both white dots have fallen out of my rear)
Slide and frame polish is maybe 1 or 2 grit levels above the CCG

CCG:
Comes with GI recoil guide and plug.
No flared ejection port (but it is lowered)
Black Novak rear
Barrel fit is noticeably tighter with no downward movement of hood when in battery (my CE has some movement like most production Colts)

The CE's stainless frame means no refinish required if you opt for a checkering job or other modifications.   The CCG will probably not be as commonly found since they were a limited TALO run and not a standard cataloged model like the CE.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:13:07 AM EDT
[#18]
ken_mays,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it immensely!
There is a CCG in my immediate future.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Glad you found out what you wanted to know.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Order placed last night.  $978.14 shipped, so a fair price.
Hope to have it before the New Year.  

Thanks everyone for your opinions/pictures, and have A Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#21]
You're forgeting something...the link to where you got it for that price!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I ordered from Grab a Gun last night.  Item was still available when I went to bed.
On back order today.
I actually called today to check if there was any 'glitch in the matrix'.  The rep said everything looked good on his end, and his manager is checking with the distributor to be sure.  Grab a Gun customer service was impressive.

I feel like an 6 year old waiting for Christmas!
----------------
EDIT->
Back in stock @ $970.45 + $5.99 shipping
http://grabagun.com/colt-1991-custom-gov-45acp-bl-5.html
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

My opinion is that, either way...you chose wisely.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The trigger on my Combat Elite was at least 6 pounds and I ended up replacing the sear and adjusting the sear spring to get it down to about 4.   The CCG came out of the box at around 4.5 pounds.   It wouldn't surprise me to discover this is not a consistent situation across the board, however.    The CCG's trigger shoe looks longer than the CE but they are actually the same length.

The barrel throats in each gun appear to be identical.  

Since I pulled them out of the safe, here are a few other observations.  

CE:
Comes with one-piece full length guide rod.  Some people don't like them (I don't mind it).
Has flared & lowered ejection port
3-dot Novak sights (both white dots have fallen out of my rear)
Slide and frame polish is maybe 1 or 2 grit levels above the CCG

CCG:
Comes with GI recoil guide and plug.
No flared ejection port (but it is lowered)
Black Novak rear
Barrel fit is noticeably tighter with no downward movement of hood when in battery (my CE has some movement like most production Colts)

The CE's stainless frame means no refinish required if you opt for a checkering job or other modifications.   The CCG will probably not be as commonly found since they were a limited TALO run and not a standard cataloged model like the CE.
View Quote

It was my understanding that Colt was going to make the CCG a regular production item. Is that not the case?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It was my understanding that Colt was going to make the CCG a regular production item. Is that not the case?
View Quote

Apparently, that is NOT the case at this time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bummer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Received my Colt CCG from my 12/20 Grab a Gun order,
Excellent service and fast shipping.
Serial number is CCG163x.  So outside the Talo serial number range.
It's almost 50 degrees here, but pouring rain.  I want to shoot it.  Now!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Colt CCG

Received 12/24 from my local gun shop.  Less than 5 days from order to received.
Field strip, degreased then reoiled.  Added a bit of grease to barrel lugs and rails too.
Racked slide and dry fired for 2 days until I could get to the range.  Trigger pull is smooth and around 5lbs.  No trigger work done.

SATURDAY (today)!!!
Up early and out.  Range opens at 8AM.  I am there.
Added a drop of oil to the end of the barrel, and pushed it around.
Shot 150x225gr. FP, 150x185gr FP,  and 75x200gr. FP reloads.
Without a jam.  Added more oil between different loads, though.  Gun is filthy from Unique and Bullseye powder.  
3x Chip McCormick 8rd. blackened SS mags were used, all new.

The gun shot the 225 grain flat point to POA.  The 200 and 185s were a bit higher.  I'll see about reducing my powder charge a bit and see.
The Colt is scary accurate.  Someone else had a new Sig 1911 that was barely on a target at 25 yards.  This Colt shot groups.

Still smiling after today.  The gun was everything I was looking for.

Should have bought one years (decades) ago.  My mistake.

Have to clean my precious now.  Thanks for steering me towards this pistol.  It's a keeper!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad that you're happy with it, and it's a good looking Pony. My only possible argument would be that front sight, but if I ever pick one up, that's easy to fix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top