Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2014 7:42:47 PM EDT
So, GrabAGun has a smoking deal on Colt 1991's.  So I had to order one, I've never seen them priced this low.

So, if they do indeed ship.  What do I need to know?  What mags should I look for?  

Help a 1911 noob out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Wilson Tripp or chip power mags for odd bullet shapes hollow points carry. As long as you are running hardball most any will work and for an economy mag metalform or check mate are fine
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Invest in half a dozen Wilson 47 d mags and shoot it
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Wilson or nighthawk are all I use these days.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I ordererd the $699 O1991 from GrabAGun in the week before Thanksgiving.  Total processing and shipping time was only 3 days.

Received the $100 rebate card yesterday.  colt.com/Rebates
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Pics?

Are these blued or parked
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Blued.  Solid flat black on the curved parts, glosssy opaque black on flat sides of frame and slide.  
(picture from web, I have talk-only plan on my flip-phone)

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Invest in half a dozen Try a Wilson 47 d mags and shoot it
View Quote

My Colt did not like Wilson 47D's. I'd try one before buying a half dozen.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine don't like 47Ds either.  Checkmate or McCormick work great.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah yes, the new roll mark (NRM) 1991.   Beautiful guns and make great bases for custom builds.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ah yes, the new roll mark (NRM) 1991.   Beautiful guns and make great bases for custom builds.
View Quote

Seems like a good way to get into an entry level Colt?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 1991's ran on McCormick mags just fine. The basic 8 rounders can be had for around $12.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.  I picked up several of them before they went over $600.  They all appear to be pretty well made.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sure.  I picked up several of them before they went over $600.  They all appear to be pretty well made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And standard 1911 parts are interchangeable correct?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Wilson is running sale on all their magazines think the 47D's were $26 and some change.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, as much as any 1911 parts are.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:52:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been running the Wilson Combat 7 round service mags in my Colts. They have the dimpled follower, and supposedly a stiffer spring in them. Hollow points, hardball, semi-wadcutters, they all feed with total reliability in my experience. The 47Ds, not so much. The H-D+P mags worked ok, but they are a little pricey.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Love mine. It does like the 47Ds.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry the same pistol in stainless.  I use Wilson 47s.  Love it!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been very pleased with my 1991 so far. I was not initially, but once I learned a few things, I was pleased. My 1991 is in my EDC rotation. It is not a target pistol to be sure, but it is more than accurate enough for reasonable self defense ranges and I have yet to have the first failure of any sort. This includes using cheap knock off mags and "premium" stainless mags as well as factory and hand loaded ammo. Hardball 230s to 185 gr LSWC run fine through this pistol.

You paid considerably less than I did for the same pistol. Because of this I must insist on hating you intently  for a few days.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#20]
My glorious piece of American history arrived on Wednesday.

I also ordered some mags from http://joes1911magmania.net/.  They appear to be damn near identical to the Check-Mate mags that came with the pistol.  

The mag differences I see are:

-8 vs 7 round capacity
-isn't cut diagonally at the feed lips
-weld on the back isn't sanded off
-it has two holes in the floor plate
-completely unmarked

I picked up a 100 round value pack of Federal 230 grain ball ammo, and I plan to hit the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Beautiful Ponies, guys!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Beautiful!!! Is it safe to say that this is the closest current production 1911 you can get to a WWII issue 1911?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Beautiful!!! Is it safe to say that this is the closest current production 1911 you can get to a WWII issue 1911?
View Quote

No, these are Series 80.   Something like the RIA is a lot closer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would say the closest to a WWII 1911 is an Auto Ordnance but the quality on those is kinda iffy.

Series 80 has firing pin block, lowered ejection port, flat MSH, long trigger, blued finish, 3 dot sights, and different safety. 1911-A1 had none of that
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I would say the closest to a WWII 1911 is an Auto Ordnance but the quality on those is kinda iffy.

Series 80 has firing pin block, lowered ejection port, flat MSH, long trigger, blued finish, 3 dot sights, and different safety. 1911-A1 had none of that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Auto Ordnance is Series 80 too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#26]
The only real problem I had with the AO is the front sight kept falling off
1st time I had a "gunsmith" re install it
2nd time I installed it and to my amazement, it's held

So I figured it was time to get a Colt 1991
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoops

guess RIA is your best bet then
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#28]
My first handgun was a 1991 that I bought at the Mainside PX on Pendelton.  I was disappointed with how much plastic was involved (trigger and mainspring housing) and was really disappointed when the staked front sight flew off at the range one day.  But, since you already bought it - which is a frequent ARFCOM thing where people buy stuff and then ask for advice - maybe your experience will be better.  And maybe things have changed in 20 years (my experience is so out of date that I admit it may be completely irrelevant).  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My first handgun was a 1991 that I bought at the Mainside PX on Pendelton.  I was disappointed with how much plastic was involved (trigger and mainspring housing) and was really disappointed when the staked front sight flew off at the range one day.  But, since you already bought it - which is a frequent ARFCOM thing where people buy stuff and then ask for advice - maybe your experience will be better.  And maybe things have changed in 20 years (my experience is so out of date that I admit it may be completely irrelevant).  Good luck.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing you're experience.  I wasn't looking for advice to which 1911 to buy, cost and brand dictated this purchase.  I was looking for advice in getting the most out of my purchase.  This is my first 1911, so I have no idea what to expect, or what is normal.

How tight should the mags be?  How hard should they be to seat?  How stiff should the mag release be?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:  

How tight should the mags be?  How hard should they be to seat?  How stiff should the mag release be?

View Quote
The mags should be tight enough to stay in plae during firing, yet drop free from the magwell when the mag release is depressed.

With the slide in battery and the magazine fully loaded, the mag should seat with mild thumb pressure. Most 1911 users push firmly with the heel of their hand to seat a mag. If you must use enough force to seat the mag that it causes you pain, then you need to make adjustments to correct it.

The mag release should be stiff enough to hold the mag in place during firing, but light enough that you can depress it comfortably with your thumb and release the mag. If it causes discomfort to operate, it needs to be adjusted.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top