Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2014 9:31:16 AM EDT
What's everyone's thoughts towards Ed Brown 1911's? Specifically their LW Commander models?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#1]
They are beautifully machined and well fit guns.  Very little obvious evidence of hand fitting like you will see on Baers.  Mine is just about as accurate as my Baers.  Reliability has been flawless so far, but I don't quite have 1000 rounds through it yet.  The rear sight dovetails are cut looser than I'd like and they depend on a set screw to lock it down.  Hasn't been a problem for me.  I've no opinion on his AL framed guns.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Pulled the trigger & did the transfer. Going shooting Fri to see how it does.

Not mine but from the Brown web site. Mine's just like it.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Taking it shooting today & range report to follow later.

I find it hard to believe that a $2k+ gun came with only one mag & a 7rd mag at that......................    
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Taking it shooting today & range report to follow later.

I find it hard to believe that a $2k+ gun came with only one mag & a 7rd mag at that......................    
View Quote

Just as well.  I generally throw the factory mags in a drawer and use CMCs and Wilsons anyway.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Ran about 50rds thru it today & it was flawless.  

I cleared a steel plate rack the first mag I ran thru it, no sight adjustment needed at all. Clearly the gun is well worth the $2200 price tag it had, IMO.

One thing that surprised me was that it isn't built as tight as the Baer models. I was able top remove the bushing by bare hands to lube it before I shot it. With a Baer, it almost takes a hammer & a chisel to get it apart for the first several hundred rds. Granted, this IS a LW carry model & won't be subjected to more than a 100rds or so per year so I guess it doesn't need to be as tight as an all-steel frame 1911?

I know Ed Brown has a less-than-pleasant reputation as a person but his company can by-god build a 1911.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top