Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2014 1:45:52 AM EDT

Hi Folks,

Well, my CCW has finally come through and I'll be heading to the gun shop to pick up my first 1911 in a couple days, and I have a magazine question. I have read no end about all the different types of mags out there. I have found that Tripps Cobra Mags are pretty much the best. I have also heard from a lot of 1911 owners that Springfield is one of the few manufacturers whom you can generally trust to include good magazines with their gun.

I obviously want what is most reliable, but I want to get more opinions before I drop $100 to get three measly magazines.

Has anybody here had good/bad experiences with the reliability of Springfield 1911 magazines that they got recently? I know things change, and the good stuff I hear about Springfield's OEM magazines are pretty recent.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I've put about 500 rnds through the 2 factory mags that came with my SA Loaded with no failures yet. I know that's not a lot compared to others, but the mags seem reliable and I trust them to carry daily.

E.T.A- That's aluminum, steel, and brass cased. FMJs and HPs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Couldn't tell Ya, they are still in the box my TRP Operator came in
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The 2 I have work fine. I did replace the followers with Tripp ones just cuz, but either way they work.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
They're Checkmates.  They work fine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang, I was gonna say they're mecgar's and are fine.  I guess I'm wrong.  I thought's that what mine was but it is over 5 years old.  So...  But I've never ha a problem with it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
They work fine. But if I was going to trust my life on a magazine, It would be a Wilson as they have been flawless for me. I have never used a Tripp and hear excellent things about those.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]
the two that came with my TRP have been flawless.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 8 that came with my TRP, Loaded, Range Officer and Champion and have all been flawless. Not a single glitch out of any of them and they get used a lot. Havn't changed anything about them because it just isn't necessary. Have no issues with carrying them. Don't know who actually makes them and don't care because flawless is flawless. It can't b_tch.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 that came with my TRP and 3 I got for free recently, and there have been no issues with any of them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This

That

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

the two that came with my TRP have been flawless.
View Quote
Same here.  But I use Wilson ETM's for carry and competition.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#13]
The two that came with my Operator have been perfect. They aren't the smoothest loading magazine when comparing a Wilson or Chip, but they've never failed me
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The two that came with my Operator have been perfect. They aren't the smoothest loading magazine when comparing a Wilson or Chip, but they've never failed me
View Quote

^ my thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's just the design of the follower at work.  Once you get past the first round, they oughta be pretty slick.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been eyeing a Sprigfield 1911 loaded for a couple weeks now. Went to  my local range and they had one for rent so I tried it out. If the effortless racking of the slide is any indication, this has had quite a few rounds through it. It was also using an OEM mag and it had zero issues with all the 100 rounds I put through it. Not the greatest looking mag, not the greatest feeling mag when loading it, and the followers do not have an anti-tilt feature, but they seem to work reliably none the less. The anti-tilt is mostly beneficial for that first round anyway.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Couldn't tell Ya, they are still in the box my TRP Operator came in
View Quote

I kinda did the same thing with my Sig - the factory mags are still in the box.  I have a dozen Wilson Combat mags and they're the only ones that I use.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been eyeing a Sprigfield 1911 loaded for a couple weeks now. Went to  my local range and they had one for rent so I tried it out. If the effortless racking of the slide is any indication, this has had quite a few rounds through it. It was also using an OEM mag and it had zero issues with all the 100 rounds I put through it. Not the greatest looking mag, not the greatest feeling mag when loading it, and the followers do not have an anti-tilt feature, but they seem to work reliably none the less. The anti-tilt is mostly beneficial for that first round anyway.
View Quote

The follower really can't tilt on the first round because there's a spring stacked under it.  After that, the main thing it does is keep the spring in the mag and lift the slide stop when it's empty.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The follower really can't tilt on the first round because there's a spring stacked under it.  After that, the main thing it does is keep the spring in the mag and lift the slide stop when it's empty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was loading it... It can and does tilt, unless my eyes were playing tricks on me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks so much for the input!

I brought my baby home on Tuesday, and since then with the two Springfield OEM magazines, it has fired 600 rounds, with 200 being hollowpoint. Not a single jam, hiccup, or issue of any kind, even during the first 100. I broke it down and cleaned it every 50 rounds, gave it a Militec-1 hairdryer treatment before taking it to the range, and it has been absolutely flawless. The hollowpoints were four different brands as well, and I fired the pistol upside down and at strange angles to see if I could detect any problems with "controlled feed," and it ate through everything I put in it.

I actually have had bad experiences with Wilson magazines, and as such, consider them very overrated. My friend has a high-end Kimber (Custom Warrior II), which runs perfectly with the original Kimpro magazines, as well as both of my Springfield's, but his brand new Wilson Combat premium 8-round magazine regularly jams in his gun, even with FMJs.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two that came with my pistol. They work great, zero issues and I've shot about 400 or so rounds.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Next time fire 600 then clean it, no need at all to break the gun down every 50 rounds.  Some 1911 manuf actually recomend fire 500 before you break the gun down to insure the parts wear in correctly.

I find miltec to be a rust enhancer in my use, and no longer use it.

My Sa mags work great at keeping the case they came in secured to the floor.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I have several. They all work great. I also have SA mags that are more that 20 years old. They still work also.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
That

Those
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've put about 500 rnds through the 2 factory mags that came with my SA Loaded with no failures yet. I know that's not a lot compared to others, but the mags seem reliable and I trust them to carry daily.

E.T.A- That's aluminum, steel, and brass cased. FMJs and HPs.
View Quote

I just got a SA Loaded and put 100 rounds through it yesterday.  I did have one FTF that was the fault of a mag but won't hold it against it yet.  I expect it to need to break in and won't actually carry it until I put at least 1000 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 12 Springfield 1911's bought from 2001 to present and haven't had a single hiccup with the oem mags.  I put a Wilson in and have at least two problems per mag, including FTF's and slide not locking open on an empty chamber.  I would love to carry with Wilsons for the extra round, but can't rely on them.  Also, this is multiple mags, not just one.  My brother in law only uses Wilsons.  He doesn't even use his oem mags and doesn't have a problem with them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#27]
My range officer came with 2 mags and that discount card to the Springfield store.  I ordered 5 more mags and I have not had any trouble with any of them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#28]
As some of you may have seen in my other post, I did have a few minor hiccups with one magazine, but I am happy to say I resolved it. The problem was that the right feed ramp was slightly too high, and would catch the slight, slowing it down significantly, and in the only case of an actual jams (the other two issues in hundreds of rounds were failures to eject the last case of a fired magazine), the magazine lips actually caught the slide and held it back. A bit of filing and also hitting the slide release with the mag pushed in as high as it could go and loaded with snap caps wore down the edges taht were problematic on the magazine lips, and now it feeds 100%! I will certainly be availing myself of that Springfield discount!
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Palmetto has Springfield stainless 7-rounders with pads for $14.99 right now.

If you search 6085 (last four of product #) they should come up as the second item listed.

Just FYI - the item pictured is not correct.  If you check the springfield website and check the magazine section the correct item is pictured and has that product #.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top