Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2014 2:54:39 AM EDT
I'm a big fan of 1911s and kind of went on a bender with the anniversary and then collecting GI guns. I'm not even sure what all I have but I'm considering getting rid of some of them as I have found and owned many that i wanted and the remaining ones are going to be expensive.

off the top of my head I have:

GI guns
2 1918 Colts, one all correct and one with a WW2 replacement barrel
a Springfield Armory 1914 with the wrong mag and one wrong grip panel
a 1928 Kongsberg Colt all correct
a 1942 and '45 all correct Colts
2 correct Remington Rands, one with the DCM shipping box
1 correct Ithaca
a Colt frame with a US&S slide

Commercial guns
2 government series 70 9mms, one blue and one shiny nickle
2 Colt defenders in 9mm and 45
a satin nickle 45 combat commander
a blued 9mm combat commander
a 38 super LW commander
a Norinco government 45
a DW Valor
a Wilson (forget which model)
a Springfield MC Operator
a Colt Delta Gold Cup
an ATI 22

and while not true 1911s they are kind ofs
Colt Mustang
Sig 938
FIE Model D

While I don't need the money, many of these don't get shot and the money could always go into my 401K. I bought them as I found them and got decent deals on most of them but feel the collection is as complete as it will probably ever be unless I find deals on a real US&S, a Navy model, a Remington UMC or a Colt Ace. I justified it as the GI guns keep going up in value and it gets harder to find correct ones.

I thought that one day they would be nice to hand down to my two boys but I'm starting to wonder if my collection of these and others may be viewed as more of a burdon than a blessing to them one day. I figure the prices have gotten to the point of unobtainable for most on the GI guns so maybe they would want one but not be able to afford it one day. Or, I could sell many of them and invest the money that will go up more than the value of the guns and if they decide they want one later they can just use the money to buy one or use it for whatever else they may want.

I feel kind of like I have crossed the line somewhat and become a gun hoarder rather than collector. Should I sell some and if so, which ones?

So long post...for the TL/DR crowd

I have too many 1911s, should I sell some and invest that money or perhaps burdon my boys with them to perhaps sell for a fraction of their value oneday.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:14:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait till the next panic (next election when Hillary wins?) and sell them for 4 times what they are worth now.
ETA: I know this is a tech forum and I know that sounds kinda like a joke, but I am serious. I also think about selling or trading some of my guns some dayand that is what I would do, if I do sell.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:20:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think a panic would have much effect on single stack 1911s and especially the GI guns.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think a panic would have much effect on single stack 1911s and especially the GI guns.
View Quote
I once went on a repair call to house of a man who collected everything Colt SAA. I was mighty impressed. I'm sure he didn't shoot many of those. Maybe a display case is in order?

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:10:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll never sell any of my guns.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Send them to me for safekeeping.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't know a lot about the G.I guns, but those might be better than a 401K . The value of those ww2 guns just keep going up.
So if you are going to get rid of anything I would focus on the Commerical ones.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Keep the GI guns.   They truly are collectibles and appreciate yearly.
If you want to sell anything,  start with the commercial guns.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]
You may experience high degrees of if you do this.

Wait a couple of months and see if the desire to sell remains.  If it does, then maybe it's time to sell a few.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep the following:

Komgsberg
Remington Rands
The Ithaca
Blued70s series
9mm combat commander
Valor

That gives you one good shooter and the rest are appreciating well and are excellent examples.    The rest should be sold off as there are plenty of people looking for less collectable classic 1911's and would be mutually beneficial to your wallet, and the shooter.   The ones I recommended you keep would just go into some collectors collection and never see the light of day again.   If that is to be their fate, they should stick with you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#10]
keep the correct G.I's.......the commercial stuff can be easily replaced.....maybe keep the Valor as a go to 1911......I have been having the same thoughts as you, I have a safe full of stuff just sitting there and I wondering if maybe I should consolidate.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Im not a collectable type of person.  Id sell everything you dont shoot and commission a couple new builds that you will shoot.  Springfield pro?  Monolith?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're going to sell, keep the correct GI 1911.A1's, those hold the best record for steady increases in value and are a reasonably decent investment if you have followed the market the past few years. They will also be the hardest to replace if you ever get bit by the 1911 bug again.

I've backed off on buying GI 1911s the past year or so due to their cost increases and I toy with selling some but those I contemplate selling are not the most valuable and completely correct. If you've collected for awhile, you know how difficult it is to find correct one's for a reasonable price and they aren't making them any more.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm thinking at a bare minimum the 1918 with the replacement barrel and the one Remington Rand wouldn't be missed.

On the commercial front the only things I feel are easy to part with are the Norinco and the 45 Defender.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You may experience high degrees of if you do this.

Wait a couple of months and see if the desire to sell remains.  If it does, then maybe it's time to sell a few.

View Quote

Good advice.  At least the WWII pistols
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep the history.

Sell off the commercial with the exception of the Valor.

Use money to pad 401k and buy a SA custom.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Keep the GI guns.   They truly are collectibles and appreciate yearly.

If you want to sell anything,  start with the commercial guns.

View Quote
This. I wouldn't sell the GI guns unless I hadn't eaten in a few days. But, I'd probably take of them and shoot something I could eat...which would then allow me to keep the GI guns.

ETA: unless you want me to keep them in my safe for you.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Keep:

The correct GI guns.  Definitely keep the Königsberg, that's a real gem.

DW Valor, and one of the Defenders.

Sell:
Miss-matched GI guns, commercial Colts.  Either the Wilson or the Operator.

Edit: alternative, keep the Valor and sell off all of the rest of the commercial guns and buy a really nice carry piece like a Dan Wesson CCO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd sell all the modern ones and most of the GIs.  Keep a few of the rarer ones as a buffer against regret.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#19]
"...or perhaps burdon my boys with them to perhaps sell for a fraction of their value oneday."

?
Any reason you can't help your boys learn to respect them?  
I, too, have more than I probably "need," but I share them with my boys and have taught them their values--financial, historical and social.  One day, when they receive them, I trust they'll understand and appreciate what they've been given (as I did when my dad left me his guns).

Still, there's no reason to leave them the whole pile.  As others have suggested, sell off the modern guns (except for anything you actually carry or shoot regularly) and any parts guns, but hang onto the original, historical pistols.  They ain't making those anymore.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I have sold two of my 1911's and I regret it to this day. However, to redeem myself, I brought home a brand new SA SS loaded yesterday and put 200 rounds through her today. I also said 20 "Hail JMB's".

Never, ever, sell a 1911 unless you own a gun shop and they are inventory.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:54:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm not sure on either of my boys yet as they are 5 y/o and 20mo but  the 5 y/o does like to shoot one of my Woodsman with very close adult supervision. He holds it and then I put my hands over his, he lines up the sights and pulls the trigger.

I'm thinking the US&S slide one would make a good shooter I wouldn't have to worry about. The problem is that there is something I like about eachof them

Several came from my grandfather through my father, when I say that he was a large collector and these were not special to him and may not have even ever been shot by him. I'm thinking I may send the satin combat commander to Colt to be done up, engraved and made into an heirloom pistol for one of my boys. The 38 super LW commander I'm thinking may go back to Colt for a tactical package and become my carry gun for a while.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The problem is that there is something I like about each of them
View Quote

I hear you, brother. I have that same dilemma  every time I look in the safe for something to recycle.

A lot of my pieces have stories behind them or the ones that I have built have stories behind most of the parts.

I think, "I could sell these 4 ARs, these 3 1911s, maybe these 3 HKs and buy an M16."

Then as I pick each one up I'm reminded of how many hours I put into fitting that bbl and bushing, how I sighted in that ACOG, how I searched for 14 months for that exact gun and almost missed out on it.
Then there's the antique pieces that have provenance and would be stupid to let go.

There's no way I would ever sell them and put the money in a 401K after watching mine nosedive by over 70K 7 years ago.
Unless you're living out of your car, only sell a gun to upgrade. With the collection you have you're into this hobby more than the average shooter.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:23:21 AM EDT
[#23]
It's even worse than it sounds

That was only talking about my 1911s, don't ask me about my retro AR problem. Or my .22 problem
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Keep all the GIs and sell the others...especially that DW Valor....its a POS. Send it to me and I'll take care of it for you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#25]
If you are going to chop up some of your Colts, don't send them to Colt Custom.  Instead, send them to Chuck Rogers or Jason Burton to make Heirloom guns.
my $.02
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Most of the times I've sold guns. I regretted it later on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#27]
The 1911's aren't going to inflate in a panix situation as would other items.
I'm buying PMags and stuffing the closet with them now for sale when it does hit. Something to consider.
Your 1911's are not as susceptible to stock market crashes as is any cash that you buy and invest. Think of them as a 'precious metal' to diversify your portfolio.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#28]
You'd be making a mistake, that is now an investment, a sound investment actually.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread us useless without pictures. And do not sell. Sounds like you need a day at the range to fall back in love with the 1911
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#31]
The GI collection is impressive.  I'd probably keep all of those, at least until someone came along with a ridiculous offer.  Of the commercial guns, keep one or two that you actually use and move the rest.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You'd be making a mistake, that is now an investment, a sound investment actually.
View Quote

After some careful consideration:  I'm with this guy.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#33]
It's an old pic but here's some of them for the photo requester. The 38 Super LW commander and Satin nickle combat commander are torn part way apart in this photo and there are several missing.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:48:21 AM EDT
[#34]
I think the truly collectable specimens are better than gold for investing.  They can still mine more gold, nobody is making more pre 1960 1911s...

And 1911s will be the last semi autos guns banned due to their sub 10 round capacity so there should be a market for quite a while.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'm a big fan of 1911s and kind of went on a bender with the anniversary and then collecting GI guns. I'm not even sure what all I have but I'm considering getting rid of some of them as I have found and owned many that i wanted and the remaining ones are going to be expensive.

off the top of my head I have:

GI guns

2 1918 Colts, one all correct and one with a WW2 replacement barrel

a Springfield Armory 1914 with the wrong mag and one wrong grip panel

a 1928 Kongsberg Colt all correct

a 1942 and '45 all correct Colts

2 correct Remington Rands, one with the DCM shipping box

1 correct Ithaca

a Colt frame with a US&S slide

Commercial guns

2 government series 70 9mms, one blue and one shiny nickle

2 Colt defenders in 9mm and 45

a satin nickle 45 combat commander

a blued 9mm combat commander

a 38 super LW commander

a Norinco government 45

a DW Valor

a Wilson (forget which model)

a Springfield MC Operator

a Colt Delta Gold Cup

an ATI 22

and while not true 1911s they are kind ofs

Colt Mustang

Sig 938

FIE Model D

While I don't need the money, many of these don't get shot and the money could always go into my 401K. I bought them as I found them and got decent deals on most of them but feel the collection is as complete as it will probably ever be unless I find deals on a real US&S, a Navy model, a Remington UMC or a Colt Ace. I justified it as the GI guns keep going up in value and it gets harder to find correct ones.

I thought that one day they would be nice to hand down to my two boys but I'm starting to wonder if my collection of these and others may be viewed as more of a burdon than a blessing to them one day. I figure the prices have gotten to the point of unobtainable for most on the GI guns so maybe they would want one but not be able to afford it one day. Or, I could sell many of them and invest the money that will go up more than the value of the guns and if they decide they want one later they can just use the money to buy one or use it for whatever else they may want.

I feel kind of like I have crossed the line somewhat and become a gun hoarder rather than collector. Should I sell some and if so, which ones?

So long post...for the TL/DR crowd

I have too many 1911s, should I sell some and invest that money or perhaps burdon my boys with them to perhaps sell for a fraction of their value oneday.
View Quote

ill take one

ETA: Oh im supposed to convince you not to sell them? then hows this no stop, dont sell them think about the children, why wont anyone think about the children...

Hows that working? It do anything for you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top