Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2014 7:18:22 PM EDT
Last week I bought a para expert carry.  I needed a holster and saw some recommendations for alien gear.  
I received the holster today and went to place the gun into it.  I felt something hit my pant leg, but couldn't figure out what it was.  

I then noticed the safety had caught the holster and pulled it out.  
Should it come out of the gun so easily?  I have never owned a 1911.  So I have no reference.
Also, is it normal for the hammer to be able to drop when it falls out.  Even without the grip safety being engaged.  I do not know if it would fire.  I do know that the hammer goes down when the trigger is pulled.  

The part that spooked me, was that the gun was loaded.  and 2 of the 3 safety features appear to become inop.  Also, I would hate to be carrying this and have it fall out and not be able to find it.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You got an Alien Gear holster in a week?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Think I ordered it last friday.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote
No kidding. Mine took a month.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Looked at the receipt.   Order placed on the 17th of october
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]
normally the 1911 safety can be removed by carefully holding it between on and off safe,  while lifting it up.

looks like your new holster is doing that for you.

I'm thinking you need to adjust that holster, or trim it's leather away from the thumb safety

Also suspect the factory para safety might bee too loose.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Also suspect the factory para safety might bee too loose.

View Quote

Is tightening it something I can do.  Or a factory job?
I can remove it by pinching and pulling out slightly while rotating from off to safe.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
send it back and get one made for the gun. if you let them know they should be able to change the cut so it doesnt do that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, either different safety, different leather, or alter leather.  

Looks like you have what is sometimes referred to as what I believe is a "commander cut" or the likewise.  Essentially the leather is cut away around the grip frame area for a "quicker" draw.  On my Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB I opted against that option and have leather covering that area.  Looks like if they added even another inch or so of leather you would not have that issue.

As others have stated either cut around the area to remove leather from around safety, get a different/less pronounced safety and/or bob the safety yourself, or get another holster without the leather removed from that section.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope. I tried to do that with my alien gear and kimber and couldn't make it happen. I'd say your safety is too loose. If you have had it for a while and comfortable with it i'd suggest altering the leather so it doesnt catch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top