Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 9:27:50 PM EDT
I bought a Springfield Armory TRP about 6 months ago and it has always shot like a dream and been dead on. However, a week ago it was sitting on the table at the range and my fiancee knocked it off onto the concrete. Took it out again this weekend (first time since the drop), and now it is shooting almost a foot high. Sights are non adjustable trijicon night sights. What could be making it shoot so high and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Eta: the sights appear fine and don't look like they are damaged to me
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm.

When it fell what did it land on? The muzzle?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmm.

When it fell what did it land on? The muzzle?
View Quote

I didnt see it fall (I heard it ) but theres a mark on the left side on the magwell and rear sight.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]
A foot is huge. What distance?

Are the slide stop/barrel feet/link all o.k.? Any play in the barrel? Bushing still intact?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A foot is huge. What distance?

Are the slide stop/barrel feet/link all o.k.? Any play in the barrel? Bushing still intact?
View Quote

Tomorrow morning I'm gonna tear it all apart and I'll post pics of everything. This is my first and only 1911 so I'm a novice to say the least.

And I was shooting at about 20 yards
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The TRP I have is set up for 6oclock aim. Most are.

Id say this is what you are encountering.

You can swap out the rear for a shorter sight and it will bring it to POA/POI

ETA. Sorry I actually read your OP. I don't know on this one. 6oclock will put it several inches high at 25 yards. Think of aiming at the bottom of a NRA bull and hitting it dead center. This is how 6oclock works.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#6]
front sight got shorter during impact?
Your using 185 grain ammo?
It could all be in your head.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Have a stainless TRP and it shoots POA/POI.
It is a little bit older...

Then I have a LW operator, and it shoots a touch high. The rear sight on my Op is a touch taller than the TRP.
But a foot high? Bring your target in a bit...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have a stainless TRP and it shoots POA/POI.
It is a little bit older...

Then I have a LW operator, and it shoots a touch high. The rear sight on my Op is a touch taller than the TRP.
But a foot high? Bring your target in a bit...
View Quote

Its not me. I shot it extremely accurately before the fall. A few buddies shot it after the fall and they all had the same problem.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you torn it apart yet to inspect it?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]
If the front sight is too short, you'll shoot high.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Check the muzzle crown. It could have been damaged during the fall. It wouldn't take much of a nick to cause your issue.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you torn it apart yet to inspect it?
View Quote

Yeah and everything seems fine inside and out. Cleaned the hell out of it and put it back together. Hopefully I can get out soon to see if its shooting better, may take it to the local 1911 master (Ed Boening) and have him look it over.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Check the muzzle crown. It could have been damaged during the fall. It wouldn't take much of a nick to cause your issue.
View Quote

Exactly what I thought.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]
me three on the crown.  I'm interested to see what it is.  It seems like a pistol should be able to take a spill like that and still be gtg.  Given that nothing was done to the sights.  But a messed up crown is not good.  From what I understand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#15]
You would have seen marks or at least dust on the part of the 1911 that hit the concrete first ... so which part took the brunt of the energy?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Put it back together and it's all better now. Got the word earlier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top