Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2014 9:19:11 PM EDT
I bought a used MC Operator a few days ago and noticed the front sight was a little loose, but I figure no biggie I'll get it tightened up. When I got it home I disassembled it and noticed the photo below. Did early MC Operators have a staked sight? I don't know much about sights or 1911's but it appears it once had a front staked sight, it now has a dovetail front sight. The first (closest to camera) smaller hole has a pin in the second larger hole appears to have nothing in it. it definitely looks as if something had been removed. I know it has some work done by the Springfield custom shop (verified through Springfield), but they didn't say anything about the sights. I know someone here will probably have the answer. Thank you in advance.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Front sights are usually staked and the pin then drilled and pressed. The pin prevents rotation.

Something seems to be missing o  your pistol. Take it to a smith if you can.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#2]
not a big deal.  call springfield.  the cs people are outstanding.  youre going to get free shipping both ways next day air, and the gun fixed and gone through completely- by the factory.  

$free.99

lifetime warranty- like a Craftsman socket wrench from Sears.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure the sight was actually done by them. They did not mention this to me when I called inquiring about what all had been done. I'll probably take it to a local smith and have it tightened. I was mostly curious as to I thought all MC Operators had dovetail sights from the factory, but it appears this one had a fixed front sight at one time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
After some reading it appears there was a range of MC Operators S/N's NM207XXX thru NM209XXX or so that had the slot for a staked front sight but actually had the dovetail sights.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
They might repair it or simply replace the slide, in which case they'll need the whole pistol.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Spoke with Springfield today, it's going back for warranty work tomorrow. I'm also having it refinished while it's there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Spoke with Springfield today, it's going back for warranty work tomorrow. I'm also having it refinished while it's there.
View Quote

Good call.  Their custom shop does GREAT work.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Not all that well staked.
The entire recess should be filled in when upsetting the sight tenon.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Got the call from Springfield today. They replaced the front sight. Now it's off to the custom shop for a Satin Black Armory Kote.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Got the call from Springfield today. They replaced the front sight. Now it's off to the custom shop for a Satin Black Armory Kote.
View Quote
Nice!

Post pics when she gets home!!!

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Will do. Here is one from before it went in.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Just got back. Tight front sight and new Armory Kote.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#13]
That's purty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top