Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2014 11:11:05 PM EDT
Here is what I ended up with.

Here is what I started with.

My journey started with a Springfield TRP. It shot great, but I didn't like the sights, recoil assembly, and the front strap checkering was too aggressive for my tastes. I cashed out on that and picked up a NIB MC Operator. I liked it so much that I also bought a LW Champion.

I decided that I wanted to make a matching set. The full-size MC would be a "go-to" handgun with a light, and the LW Champion would be a good CCW (still need to finish the permit).

I wanted front strap checkering on both, a flush cut crown, and bobtails on both. I priced the work from SA, and it was going to be quite expensive for what I wanted, plus unknown lead times.

I decided that I would give it a shot myself. All the work you see here is done in my garage, except the paint. That is Cerkote from a local FFL. The work isn't perfect, but I'd rather have 95% perfect work done by me than 99% perfect work done by SA. YMMV.

First, I cut the muzzle of the MC and gave it a 45 deg crown. I've seen some people try to write this off as a performance enhancing thing, but for me its just looks. It looks cool! On the LW Champion, I didn't want to flush cut it due to the bull barrel design. I just cut it back maybe .070-90" so it doesn't stick out so far, and gave it a light 45 deg crown.

Before (pic stolen from internets), and after:

Next was bobtailing. This was surprisingly easy. The only hard part is lining up the MSH hole. Measure many times, drill once. I used the Ed Brown Jig. Then its rough cuts on the bench grinder, followed by lots of time with the dremel, then more time with sand paper. The LW Champion was more difficult since the aluminum frame and steel MSH wanted to sand a different rates.

Next came checkering. The steel MC Operator was more difficult here. The checkering isn't 100% perfect, mostly at the top most edge near the trigger guard, but its pretty dang good IMO. The second one came out better than the first. Still, the FFL that Cerakoted them asked me if I'd do a couple for him.

That about does it. Last thing was to drop them off for refinishing of the frames. I had the frames and MSH done in McMillan Gray. Grips are VZ Operators with Super Scoop.

I'm having the occasional light primer strike with the little one, but I think I've zeroed in on the problem. I'll be shooting it again this weekend hopefully. The MC chews through everything and is lots of fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]

awesome
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!

The checkering isn't 100% perfect, mostly at the top most edge near the trigger guard, but its pretty dang good IMO.
View Quote

Good job.  First time?  If so you did better than me.  I did front and back (across both the frame and MSH).  The front turned out great, but the back has a couple lines that bug me (although no one else ever seems to notice).
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice!

Good job.  First time?  If so you did better than me.  I did front and back (across both the frame and MSH).  The front turned out great, but the back has a couple lines that bug me (although no one else ever seems to notice).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Very nice!

The checkering isn't 100% perfect, mostly at the top most edge near the trigger guard, but its pretty dang good IMO.

Yeah these are my first. I think the defects are far more noticeable to the guy that made them than to anyone else.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:07:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Nicely done!

And your checkering is a lot better than what I discovered on a mixmaster Ithaca/RR USGI gun, hidden under a Pachmayr wrap-around grip

What you can't tell is that none of the lines in those photos are really straight/parallel so all of the pyramids/checkers are different sizes and shapes

It's functional but it looks like ass...your checkering is a lot nicer!! Well done!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Great job on the checkering.  I'd love to give it a go myself, but I'd need a practice run before I went after one of my pistols.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Very Nice!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
nice matching set

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have all the parts/tools for the same project but haven't had the courage to start.  

You've given me the ambition, and I hope to do as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have all the parts/tools for the same project but haven't had the courage to start.  

You've given me the ambition, and I hope to do as well.
View Quote

Just take your time and don't rush anything. I spent probably 30 hours checkering the steel frame, and about 15 or 20 on the aluminum.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just take your time and don't rush anything. I spent probably 30 hours checkering the steel frame, and about 15 or 20 on the aluminum.  

View Quote

My hand just cramped and I got arthritis just reading that
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#11]
It might not be "perfect" but it looks damn good. You did a great job on them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Really nice job!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Those look great!!!   I like the color choice on the frames.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Thanks for all the kind words. I really put a lot of time, care, and attention to detail into them.

I went out to the range today and ran a couple hundred rounds of reloads and Tula steel case through them. The MC was flawless as always with any ammo and every mag. It is truly a joy to shoot. When I slow down and take my time, I can keep about a 2" group at 15yd, which is outstanding for a lousy pistol shot like me.

The 4" Champion still needs some tweaking. Its quite a bit less accurate. I can maybe keep it in a 6-8" group at the same range. I did some reworking on the crown tonight. Maybe that will tighten it up some. It also fails to lock back sometimes on one of my Wilson 8rd mags.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I there are two things I'd do to my LW Champion Operator it would be front strap checkering and bobtail.

Great Work!!! Love it!

As for the not locking back, check the slide stop notch (where the slide rides in the grove).

My factory slide stop notch was so narrow that it was dragging the slide (the inside of the notch was dragging on the inside of the slide). This caused it to not lock back with some magazine. A few swipes with the file to make the notch wider and all fixed, however I went ahead and replaced it with a 10-8 slide stop, 'cause 10-8 :)

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#16]
That's some excellent looking work.  

Very well done ...  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#17]
That looks excellent!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top