Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2014 3:32:55 PM EDT
I recently purchased a drop in Storm Lake threaded barrel for my Springfield Armory Mill-Spec 1911.  However when I install the barrel the slide does not go back far enough for me to engage the safety.  Any ideas on troubleshooting tips before I send the barrel back?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I recently purchased a drop in Storm Lake threaded barrel for my Springfield Armory Mill-Spec 1911.  However when I install the barrel the slide does not go back far enough for me to engage the safety.  Any ideas on troubleshooting tips before I send the barrel back?
View Quote
On a semi fit or drop in barrel, it still requires fitting from a gunsmith.

As quoted from Midway, Machined from solid 416 stainless barstock, tolerances held to +/- .001" in critical areas, finish heat treated to 40-42 HRC and cut broach rifled. Left hand 1 in 16" twist with 6 lands and grooves. Barrels are semi-drop in and usually require fitting by a qualified gunsmith. Storm Lake requests that they be contact first regarding any issues with a Storm Lake product.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
In that case, got a gunsmith you can recommend?
Is this something fairly complicated or should any gunsmith be able to handle it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In that case, got a gunsmith you can recommend?

Is this something fairly complicated or should any gunsmith be able to handle it?
View Quote
A typical qualified gunsmith should be able to handle it with no issues, I would search on the hometown forum for one close to you or at least in your home state. Try to use someone who either has references from friends or members on here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top