Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2014 5:12:11 PM EDT

Just traded a Gold Cup and a few other things on a new Combat Elite.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I am impressed with the fit and feel.  I can't wait to take it out.

My plan is for this to become my new EDC.  My old EDC was a Jim Hoag built Series 70 that I had put a new slide on when, after 25 years, the extractor broke.  So, with the new Combat Elite, I put the old slide back on with original-style Pachmayr grips so it looks the same as it did when I got it for my 13th birthday.  After 30 years and that extractor breaking being the only FTF I can remember, she deserves a rest.

And lastly I wanted to show off a new holster I got from El Paso Saddlery for my BBQ gun.  I have a matching mag pouch otw.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]

And lastly I wanted to show off a new holster I got from El Paso Saddlery for my BBQ gun.  I have a matching mag pouch otw.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc426/jlheard3/DSC01347_zps1b0e251d.jpg

View Quote

Very nice!  Love those BBQ 1911's ...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Any more pics of that BBQ gun? Who did the engraving?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
How come you replaced the slide after a broken extractor?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here are a couple more.  The engraving is Colt factory.

Quoted:

How come you replaced the slide after a broken extractor?

I wanted better sights than the originals and I didn't want to mess up the original slide/set-up.  My dad had some parts laying around including a like-new Series 70 slide, Ed Brown barrel & Novak sights.  

I like two-tone 1911's  

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
gotcha.

that makes more sense
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice, all 3.

I really like the grip safety on the one with the pachmyrs.  However, I always wonder about accidentally not engaging when they are so low profile.  That thing barely sticks out of the frame at all.  But the profile up higher looks great.  I would like a blend job like that, if it had more of a bump to engage.  I don't think there is such a thing though. Unless you go with a full beavertail of course.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Nice, all 3.

I really like the grip safety on the one with the pachmyrs.  However, I always wonder about accidentally not engaging when they are so low profile.  That thing barely sticks out of the frame at all.  But the profile up higher looks great.  I would like a blend job like that, if it had more of a bump to engage.  I don't think there is such a thing though. Unless you go with a full beavertail of course.
View Quote

The grip safety on the Hoag gun is pinned. It's always engaged.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice, all 3.

I was thinking that might be the case.  I'm good with that.  That would be a good solution.  Although I don't really mind the extra safety.  I changed my grip a while back to traditional thumb over thumb because I started shooting revolvers more.  And plus on a milspec type grip safety that doesn't stick out that far, if I did thumbs high grip, I would sometimes not engage that safety when drawing quickly.  With a beavertail it's no big deal, but I don't have a 1911 with one installed at present.  So...  With the right thumb lower, it doesn't seem to be an issue.  

Anyways..  short story long, I really like that one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]
UPDATE: Finally got to take the CE out this am (yeah, I know what took me so long. )  

150 rounds.  Federal 230 ball and 230 Gold Dots.  Wilson, Colt 7 round and 8 round mags.  Not a hiccup. Shot wonderfully. I couldn't be happier

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like all of them!!!  But the combat elite is sweet.  I'm sure it will be a good carry gun.  I like the second one the best though.  With either slide.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice. Of course, you knew I'd love the Combat Elite.

Still really hoping that I can get my hands on that Colt Special Combat Govt. near me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#12]
All beautiful guns, I really like that CE
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#13]
The Combat Elite is a fantastic EDC. It is my choice also. I have two of them. One is to be a gift to my daughter one day.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered a combat elite myself. Have a couple Springfield's and wanted to add a Colt. After doing the research it looked like the best bang for the buck with the NM barrel. I ordered night sights and a match bushing and gi guide rod.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:25:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice Ponies and leather work
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm jealous of that CE.  She's pure sex, and a superb choice for EDC!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top