Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2014 12:26:08 PM EDT
Had a thread earlier talking about possibly picking up a Llama...nothing but negative coming from feedback and research, so Im backing off. Theres a fella selling an officer size Charles Daly 1911. Ive heard they are the same as Armscor/RIA, which I have heard good FB. Anyone have issues with Daly's? Anyone hear of 3-3.5in slides having issues?

Keeping in mind Im just using this as a CCW for a couple months. I dont want to travel out of state with my DW Valor. Airlines/TSA might steal or confiscate it, etc...

Whats the world on charles daly? Officer 1911, $350 is the firm price this guy has. Tried to offer 300 and 325. If I get it, its for 350.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]
My brother has a 5 in. And after break in it has been a very nice gun.I stress after break in,it took over 500 rounds for it to feed more than 3 4 rounds without
Jamming.Fit and finish is pretty good and the finish has held up pretty good over the years,it's his truck gun so it has taken a beating over the years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea the one I'm looking at is an officer size. I haven't heard stellar  things about compact 1911s. Obviously nothing bad about DW ECO or the. Kimber raptors, but in general I have heard some say 3-3.5 in 1911s have more issues. I'm wondering about this Charles daly officer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#3]
John Browning did not design the timing of the gun around a 3.5 inch barrel.  I wouldn't stake my life on a short 1911.  They are all a compromise and some work O.K. and others don't ever work.

Charles Daly makes the best, highest quality production 1911s available.  That doesn't, however, mean that they can overcome the limitations of the shorter gun.

If you have to have a short .45, get a Glock 30.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
John Browning did not design the timing of the gun around a 3.5 inch barrel.  I wouldn't stake my life on a short 1911.  They are all a compromise and some work O.K. and others don't ever work.

Charles Daly makes the best, highest quality production 1911s available.  That doesn't, however, mean that they can overcome the limitations of the shorter gun.

View Quote

Uh, no. How can you even say that?  You'd take a Charles Daly over a Colt or a Springfield?  Really?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Uh, no. How can you even say that?  You'd take a Charles Daly over a Colt or a Springfield?  Really?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.

And I ended up going with a Star PD.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Charles Daly makes the best, highest quality production 1911s available.  
View Quote

Aside from my 5" CD 1911's 3-4 jams per mag, the fact that the grip screw bushing holes were drilled so far off that no aftermarket grips will fit, and that time the proprietary-cut rear sight fell the fuck off, yeah, that shit's premium.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

My cousin and I purchased CD 1911's back in the late 90's. I bought the 5" he bought the shorter version. I can't remember if it was 4 or 3.5". He had feeding problems right off the bat. A trip to the gunsmith and I think he opened up the feed ramp. It runs now.

As for the high quality, the bore on my barrel looks like it was machined with a rock. Tools marks everywhere. HOWEVER, it shoots great. I've tried two different barrels and they don't shoot as well. I'm back to the stock barrel. It is very magazine sensitive. The feed  ramps need to be opened up so the bullet sits higher. I paid $400 for a two tone that many years ago. It's not on the same par as my Springfield, but it does just fine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 5" CD1911 and it runs fine. I've made some parts upgrades (Wilson & Novak) to replace factory items in order to duplicate the configuration on my other higher grade 1911's.

Is it the "best, highest quality production 1911"?  No.  Anyone who says that doesn't know what their talking about.

I have Colts & Springers (my favorite) too. But my CD is perfectly fine to practice with. I have never had a FTF or FTE.

My .02
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are thinking of Dan Wesson.

Agree on the Glock 30SF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top