Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 8:46:30 AM EDT
I went to the range on Saturday with my RIA Tactical in 45ACP.  I have had Wilson Combat 47D magazines for the last 4 years and always leave them loaded.  None of the magazines would lock back the slide after the last round.  I poked around and apparently the solution is to just replace the magazine springs with Wolff Spring replacements Wolff Springs.

Can you please confirm that this is the most likely solution to my problem?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#1]
that or your plunger tube spring needs replacment.

Thumb saftey still easy to work?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I have that same pistol and it loves my 47Ds and ETMs. Hope my TRP does
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#3]
4 years? How often are they used as opposed to just sitting there? How dirty was the gun?

I have to replace my springs about every 14 months in my 1911 mags. They get stored empty but used at least once a week.

My RIA Tac 9mm will not lock the slide back once it gets too dirty. That is usually the first indicator to me that it requires a cleaning. After cleaning, it has never failed to lock back on an empty mag.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Magazines sitting loaded will not wear the spring. The spring is worn by cycling.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#5]
The safety works just fine, moves easily.

The gun was clean, it had been sitting in the glove box in Arizona so it may have been a little dry oil wise.  I hadn't shot in 6+ months.  I only shot 100 rounds this weekend.

Sounds like I'll be ordering springs.

Thank you all for the input!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]
In all the years I have used the Wilson 47D's, I have yet to get a spring to last 1/2 as long as my CMC mags.  I love my Wilson magazines, I just don't like the springs.  Also, don't forget to get the kit from Wilson now and then that comes with the Follower.  Those get worn too and need replacement.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Order a Wilson 10 round spring and follower kit and turn it into a bad-ass 7 round mag.   Seriously.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:51:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Or just have get the Wolff springs and never worry about replacing the springs again and still have 8 rounds. The Wilson supplied 8rd spring is junk.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or just have get the Wolff springs and never worry about replacing the springs again and still have 8 rounds. The Wilson supplied 8rd spring is junk.
View Quote

+1.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:52:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I may be totally off base here but you said none of them would work/lock back.  I'm sorry but 3 or more mag springs fatiguing at exactly the same time?  I don't buy it.  I can see one giving you issues and in a few months of use another then starting.

I would first double check the ammo and the gun.  A cleanliness/lube issue?  Dirty magazines with lint and grit inside?  Check the slide stop for a peened over edge that engages the locking notch, also check the inside tab that contacts the mag follower.  Also look at the slide notch itself.

It may be your mag spring or it may also be a problem elsewhere.  Replacing the mag springs problem may fix the issue but you could still have other things to tweak.

just my thoughts.

ETA- Did you try cleaning everything, relubing, and using known ammo like the basic ball fmj 230?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#11]
My exp with Wilson mags when you buy them and use them as a group the group goes tits up.
My comp mags for years were Wilson 47d 8s they all went south about the same time.

Now the 10s are just as old but no spring issues.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I replace the spring with the ISMI spring when they get weak.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I replace the spring with the ISMI spring when they get weak.
View Quote

I tried that, and the 47D's turned into 7 round mags?  

Well, 8 will fit but the mag will not lock in place on a closed slide unless they are downloaded to 7.  Went will the Wilson rebuild kit instead.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#14]
send it back to wilson.

best CS next to dillon.

clown
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top