Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2014 9:51:50 PM EDT
While I usually try to avoid using wolf or tula in any of my guns, I sometimes do use it (mostly in glocks) for plinking.  Would this be okay in my new TRP? I just am unsure since i consider this a premium firearm (compared to glocks) and it is my new main carry weapon. Will it harm anything to plink with cheap wolf/tula ammo? I apologize for the recent string of stupid questions I may be asking, but this is my first 1911 and just wanna be sure I learn as much as possible to ensure that I am not gonna cause anything major to go wrong prematurely. I did google and read as much as I can find, but I seem to trust the info I get here more than some of the other forums out there. Thanks for opinions and help.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Other than being generally dirty ammo... And perhaps lightly loaded (used to smell of burning hair as well... But that has been a while), both Wolf and Tula rounds have functioned just fine in my pistols.

Yes, the case is steel... But it is a very mild, soft steel.   The jackets on the bullet can be 'bimetallic' rather than pure copper, but they scratch just as easily using a pen knife.

All in all... It's cheaper than other factory loads, but not cheaper than reloading yourself.  It is also fairly inaccurate in my experience.

Fine plinking load, but not worth it for anything requiring, or training, precision.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I've not had a problem at all with any Tula 45ACP, even in higher-end 1911s. I don't believe I've shot any of the Wolf but I haven't heard any complaints I can recall.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#3]
You are basically talking about choosing between two brands of 87 octane fuel to put in your race car. Ether one is going to give you less than optimal performance in a high end gun but for practice it will still very likely run and get you where you want to go. They have been using mild steel cases in 45 ammo since ww2 and I do not believe at 45 pressures it will be any issue at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Years ago, went to match where the ammo supplied was wolf 45 acp ball w/ a lacquered case. in less than 100 rnds there were more custom 1911's having issues than I have ever seen before.  Basically if the gun was tight and had a match chamber the gun went tits up.

these were SA customs, Bears, RRA, and Wilsons.

Lots of pissed off shooters that day as the MD only stated ammo would be supplied never said it was going to be Wolf.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Years ago, went to match where the ammo supplied was wolf 45 acp ball w/ a lacquered case. in less than 100 rnds there were more custom 1911's having issues than I have ever seen before.  Basically if the gun was tight and had a match chamber the gun went tits up.

Lots of pissed off shooters that day as the MD only stated ammo would be supplied never said it was going to be Wolf.
View Quote

Haha, I guess I would have won that match, I fired a 100 rounds of Tula through my RIA/Cimmeron last weekend and I had fired several hundred before that without cleaning... still haven't cleaned it, but did put +p Golden Sabers in it before leaving the range.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies. I will try to avoid it like I usually do. I was mainly wondering in case we ever get to a situation where decent brass cases is hard to be had for a decent price again. As for the recommendation about reloading my own... I would love to! Only problem is that I cannot find suitable pistol powder in stock anywhere! Haha
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:31:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Pistol powder is in the same class as 22 rimfire ammo just about nonexistent! I have learned my lessons and even if I have 16 pounds of pistol powder and 20k in primers if I see it at a good price I buy it. Having 100 pounds of powder and 50k in primers on hand ( and if things get really tough my bullet moulds) gives me a couple years cushion when supply is lean
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I had to guess, it wasn't the lacquered cases causing the issues... it would be low power loads, combined with the steel cases that don't expand/contract the same way brass does leading to blowback and chambers get super dirty super quick... tight chambers in a match grade gun?... yeah, that's gonna choke.

I shot a ton of Wolf/Brown Bear/Tula/Silver Bear/Norinco steel case stuff over the past few decades out of many rifles and pistols, never saw any evidence of the lacquer melting off the cases causing issues, but you can plainly see that it allows gas blow back around the cases into the chamber area leading to guns getting dirty beyond belief quickly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pistol powder is in the same class as 22 rimfire ammo just about nonexistent! I have learned my lessons and even if I have 16 pounds of pistol powder and 20k in primers if I see it at a good price I buy it. Having 100 pounds of powder and 50k in primers on hand ( and if things get really tough my bullet moulds) gives me a couple years cushion when supply is lean
View Quote

If I have a possible load, I grab the powder when I see it.  I grabbed two 8lb kegs of Green Dot when I first started reloading... they ended up in the back of my powder stores as they weren't particularly great at anything.  Now they are my "plinking/range" powder of choice for 9mm and 45acp... not the best velocities and not the best accuracy... but it works and 16lbs will go a LONG time when using 4 or 5 grains at a time.
I have primers and powder stored at four houses currently to keep myself in compliance with fire code.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Midway through my second case of Wolf WPA, picked up a few from AIM when it was about the only 45 available. I've had zero problems in any of my guns, be they 1911's,  (Baer, Springfield Pro, Wilson ULC, Nighthawk, DW Valor and Guncrafter NN),  or my M&P or FNP, much of that shooting suppressed.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Tula is about all Finslayer83 and I shoot out of our 1911s, his is a SA Loaded and mine is a S&W E-Series 1911TA. It all goes BOOM every time and hits more or less where I'm aiming. Definitely good for cheap practice, and if it means more trigger time, then it's a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tula is about all Finslayer83 and I shoot out of our 1911s, his is a SA Loaded and mine is a S&W E-Series 1911TA. It all goes BOOM every time and hits more or less where I'm aiming. Definitely good for cheap practice, and if it means more trigger time, then it's a good thing.
View Quote

Yup.

I snag Tula .45 at Wally World unless they have the elusive $28.99 100 round packs of Federal.

Only seen em 3 times and bought em up.

So most of the time is Tula - my loaded loves the stuff.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I've gone through about 5K rounds of Wolf 45 through a Springfield Custom and a Colt this year alone.  

0 malfunctions and 0 bad rounds.  They don't use laquer.  The ammo is fine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top