Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2014 11:59:04 AM EDT
... I could use some quick advice. This could be the last firearm I get to purchase for a while, and I want to get it right.

My wife and I have had a difficult time agreeing on a name for our first child, a boy expected in 1 month.  We've tentatively agreed on "Colton James" (first & middle), but I told her I wouldn't feel right about the name "Colton" if I didn't even own a Colt in my collection.   I've been focused on ARs, but have always considered my collection incomplete without a 1911.  I haven't had much time to do extensive research, other than scanning through the first 10 pages of this forum.

I've decided it should be Colt 1911 with a SS frame and slide. I'd prefer NO forward serrations on my slide or rails on my frame.  I'd like it to have all the other modern improvements, with target sights. Budget is $1000 (+/- couple hundred for the right features).  

Any reasons for reconsidering the above features?

Anyone have any more-specific, recommendations?

Is there something important about the different frames I should know?

Where is the best place to get more, non-marketing, info for 1911 beginners?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Gold Cup Trophy is the only one that fits the bill.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  If he wants SS and a beavertail the GC Trophy is the only option.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
That's definitely what I was considering.

I was just curious if it would be worth compromising on something like the forward serrations, or target sights, for "something better" on a different model.  I haven't had the time or patience to research the whole lineage of the Colt 1911 family.  I know there are two trigger offerings depending on which model, but don't know which is "better."  

I have a bad habit of getting something on impulse because it looked like a good deal, and doing the research later, hoping I got lucky.  So far I've been fairly fortunate, but I don't want to blow it on this one.  It pretty important to me and I'd prefer to only "cry once".

Thanks for the input.

(ETA: spellcheck)
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd be getting a m45 if it were me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Find an older model Combat Elite

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the new Combat Elite and the O1991.  

I hate stainless.  If you want a silver gun, get a proper carbon steel one hard chromed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like the new Combat Elite and the O1991.  

I hate stainless.  If you want a silver gun, get a proper carbon steel one hard chromed.
View Quote

I'm not opposed to this idea. Is there evidence of some type of failure with stainless, or is it just for symbolic reasons?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I literally feel like I am reading about my 1911 purchase.  Found out we were pregnant and told the wife I need to get a new toy because after the baby it will probably be a while before I can fork out money for a gun.  I ended up with a springfield loaded in SS.  What is even funnier is if we were having a boy the name was going to be Colton, she will be a little girl though due this October. Congrats OP
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:07:15 AM EDT
[#9]
If you use reloads,,,the Gold Cups can be finicky..
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:30:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1...sounds like it meets your requirements perfectly.

I have one and it a true joy to shoot.  Love the thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was just curious if it would be worth compromising on something like the forward serrations, or target sights, for "something better" on a different model.  I haven't had the time or patience to research the whole lineage of the Colt 1911 family.  I know there are two trigger offerings depending on which model, but don't know which is "better."  

View Quote

If it were me, I would prefer the Dan Wesson Valor.  It's a few hundred more but it's worth the money.  It should be more accurate and better finished than the Colt, and it doesn't have the rear sight dangling over the rear of the slide like the GCT.   The GCT is Series 80 and also uses the wide trigger which limits your replacement options.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I read the OP but I'm going to throw something else out there. Look at this as a gun that hopefully one day you will shoot and eventually pass down to your son. With that in mind might I suggest something that will be collectable but usable.

Perhaps an older series 70 or the series 70 re-issue, perhaps one of the 1911 100 year anniversary re-issue/replicas or if you get really lucky or can stretch the budget a bit an actual WW2 GI gun? Always classics, a great addition to a collection and your son will thank you later as they keep going up in price and may be at the unobtainable price range for him one day.

Just a thought and congrats!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If it were me, I would prefer the Dan Wesson Valor.  It's a few hundred more but it's worth the money.  It should be more accurate and better finished than the Colt, and it doesn't have the rear sight dangling over the rear of the slide like the GCT.   The GCT is Series 80 and also uses the wide trigger which limits your replacement options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No argument on the quality of the Valor...but in this case, that would require changing the kid's name to "Dan."  
(Not that there's anything wrong with that!)
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want a Colt, I also suggest the Gold Cup. It will hold its value well and shoots great.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I read the OP but I'm going to throw something else out there. Look at this as a gun that hopefully one day you will shoot and eventually pass down to your son. With that in mind might I suggest something that will be collectable but usable.

Perhaps an older series 70 or the series 70 re-issue, perhaps one of the 1911 100 year anniversary re-issue/replicas or if you get really lucky or can stretch the budget a bit an actual WW2 GI gun? Always classics, a great addition to a collection and your son will thank you later as they keep going up in price and may be at the unobtainable price range for him one day.

Just a thought and congrats!
View Quote

Good logic here, and the type of advice I was looking for.  What is the primary difference in the series 70, vs the series 80? I'm aware of the wider trigger in the Gold Cup, and I'm OK with that. What are the other differences?  What are the benefits to searching out an older 70 / what makes it more collectible?  Unfortunately, a WW II is already a bit out of my budget, and I want something I can shoot from time-to-time. The anniversary issue is tempting, but most of  the ones I've seen were very nice, and also a bit pricey.

Damn you for complicating things just when is had my mind made up!  But thank you for bringing good points to my attention.  I did ask for it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt S70 repro stainless

CGC if you are settled on the target sights.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I try and help

The biggest difference in the 70 Vs 80 is the firing pin block safety and thus many don't like the trigger feel and it makes it harder to do a "trigger job" on it. See here for a much more detailed description.

Here's an anniversary right around your price range. Who knows if they will ever be really collectable as they made a bunch of them but lots of history and I think you will do ok on it and still be able to shoot it. The biggest problem I see is the GI sights that don't work well for my older eyes.

You might get lucky on a GI gun that has been refinished or maybe an arsenal rebuild? You might get lucky if you're patient. I picked up a Remington Rand lower with a Union Switch slide that was probably a re-arsenal due to the od mix of parts but not marked as such and I got it I think for $650.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:19:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Stainless S70 reproduction.

If you're dead set on Target sights and other upgrades, send it to Springfield, or Colt's Custom Shop.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't care for the boys name, but it's not my decision.

I would, however, choose a Colt MK IV, Series 70, Not Stainless.

Keep it as is. Shoot it a lot.

Then send it to a reputable Custom shop and turn it into an heirloom to pass down to him.

He will do the same to his child, and so on.

IMO, there is probably no better base 1911 to build on than this.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm not opposed to this idea. Is there evidence of some type of failure with stainless, or is it just for symbolic reasons?
View Quote

Stainless rusts.  That's why it is called stainless not stainfree steel.  Hard chrome won't rust.  Personally I just hate shiny guns and would much rather have a blued Gold Cup.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my Gold Cup Trophy. Had the front strap checkered at 20 LPI,changed out the recoil spring for hardball, loctite to the sight screws, and it's good to go. Several thousand rounds through it with no issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top