Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2014 4:36:41 PM EDT
Kinda want to pick up a 1911.  Ive had a bare bones RIA before but traded it off.  Now I miss it, but I do wish I had novak sights on one.  The Springfields look nice.  For < $1000 whats a good choice?  Nothing stainless.  Nothing with tolerances so tight its finicky, but well made, has novak style rear sights.  Will be used for CCW on occasion.  Full size.

[edit]
this looks nice
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield Loaded Parkerized

Its in my avatar

Edit-get one with an NM serial no.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
BMW VS Mercedes VS KIA
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't want stainless you can cross off the Ruger. They are only available in stainless.

Of your choices I'd say Ruger or Springfield. I have a RIA GI and really like it but the quality is not as nice as my Ruger. But then for the price difference you can also pick up a bunch of ammo too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Range Officer
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Springfield. None of the others are close.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell for under $1000 you should be able to pick up a colt! We sell colt XSEs for under $1000 at the shop where I work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Range Officer
View Quote

put a Harrison rear sight on a Range Officer and its pure win
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm ok with the F&F of my $369 RIA but I have no misconceptions of it being a Kimber or colt.

$369 gave me money for VZ grips, mags, ammo, pelican case, sights, and a little upgrading. Plus, I wanted it RTFN and didn't want to save. My buddy, the kimber snob, tried to tell me to buy a $699 Ruger FWIW

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been looking for my first 1911 for 4 years... it always goes like this...

1. I start looking at Milspec 1911's... in the $500 neighborhood

2. I decide that for a couple hundred more I can get a better one, like the Springfield Loaded

3. I figure if the Loaded is $800-900 I can afford a $1200 TRP

4. Then I decide, Hell, for a couple hundred more I'm looking at a nice Colt

5. But if I save a few hundred more I'm in the STI's and Nighthawks.. that's it... only a Wilson/Les Baer will do

6. After a week or so I'm convinced that everything sub-$3000 is trash and then I give up because there ain't no way I'm spending that much on a handgun

7. a few months pass and the process starts all over again!

I finally found a NM serial# Sprinfield Loaded for $550 at my LGS about a week ago...

Just get a Loaded

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

2. I decide that for a couple hundred more I can get a better one, like the Springfield Loaded

5. But if I save a few hundred more I'm in the STI's and Nighthawks.. that's it... only a Wilson/Les Baer will do

6. After a week or so I'm convinced that everything sub-$3000 is trash and then I give up because there ain't no way I'm spending that much on a handgun

- Clint
View Quote

Lol...btdt

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#12]
STI spartan.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I finally found a NM serial# Sprinfield Loaded for $550 at my LGS about a week ago...

Just get a Loaded

- Clint
View Quote

This is often a problem I have as well. I blame it on doing internet research on something before I buy. I will start out thinking I want to get product A, next thing you know I am buying product Y that costs 4 times as much...

Vicious cycle..
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want to go cheap it is OK to buy a foreign made 1911. If you are going to spend  $600-$1000 if it isn't made in the USA I wouldn't have it.

http://www.impactguns.com/1911.aspx
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought one of the RIA Tacticals on the Buds Black Friday sale for $349. Round count is at 750, factory brass and Steel case, reloads and a mixed lot of HP ammo. Zero malfunctions to date and is more accurate than I am.  I honestly bought it thinking I could flip it and make a hundred or so, fell in love with it. Mine may be the exception in the reliability department but there are a lot of guys over on 1911 forums that love theirs too.  When I retire I'm gonna give myself a Ed Brown but until then I guess I'm a Rockhead.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Kinda want to pick up a 1911.  Ive had a bare bones RIA before but traded it off.  Now I miss it, but I do wish I had novak sights on one.  The Springfields look nice.  For < $1000 whats a good choice?  Nothing stainless.  Nothing with tolerances so tight its finicky, but well made, has novak style rear sights.  Will be used for CCW on occasion.  Full size.

[edit]
this looks nice
View Quote

I own a Remington R1S, Ruger SR1911, Springfield RO and a TRP Operator Tactical and except for the rail on the TRP (Which personally think rails DON"T belong on 1911's) I cant see a nickles worth of differance except the RO and the SR hold tighter groups at 25 yds. All are VERY acceptable but they turn tight groups in to one big hole.Fit and finish on all of them is excellent and even the Tarus stainless I have all run flawles. The TRP is a sweet gun but I never use it simply because I hate the rail. I will probably trade it off for something else in stainless which I know you don't want, but I preferr.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Used colt XSE
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like you would be happy with another RIA and a set of sights. If I was looking to spend twice as much as the RIA, my standards and "needs" would be a little more.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Range Officer
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I've owned them all.  The only one I wouldn't recommend is the Remington.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Range Officer

Beat me to it. Its an LPA cut, but the Harrison sight is nice. I am still using the adjustable rear though. I don't have any reason to ditch it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[edit]
this looks nice
View Quote

The 1911 they have in the photo on that page is NOT a milspec.  You order that and you will receive what is shown in the video at the bottom of the page... not the upgraded model shown in the photo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The 1911 they have in the photo on that page is NOT a milspec.  You order that and you will receive what is shown in the video at the bottom of the page... not the upgraded model shown in the photo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[edit]
this looks nice

Yeah I agree, the 1911A1 in the picture looks like the stock photo for the "Loaded"

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Range Officer
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Beat me to it. Its an LPA cut, but the Harrison sight is nice. I am still using the adjustable rear though. I don't have any reason to ditch it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Range Officer

Same here.  For the money the RO is hard to beat.  Street price is running 750 to 800 in my parts.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same here.  For the money the RO is hard to beat.  Street price is running 750 to 800 in my parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Range Officer

What's a Ruger running in your area? They're about $750 around here with the Commander running an extra $50. Seems everyone carries a full line of Kimbers, the Rivers and Remingtona but hardly any Springfields.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Range Officer

That Harrison sight might make me buy a Range Officer for carry.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Range officer is excellent choice love mine and have had other 1911's to compare to cannot be beat for the price.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#29]
look for a used 1911 you can get a higher quality 1911 for that 1000 then a brand new one. I bought a springfield trp for around 1100 but you can find them for around 1050 if you look hard enough..
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What's a Ruger running in your area? They're about $750 around here with the Commander running an extra $50. Seems everyone carries a full line of Kimbers, the Rivers and Remingtona but hardly any Springfields.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Range Officer

Less.  I want to say you can snag one for under $700 if you shop carefully.  But I haven't really paid that much attention to them.  Guns tend to be cheap in Iowa.  Springers can be found, RO's in particular seem pretty common right now.  I think Springer's production can be sporadic.  Depending on where they are in the production cycle you can find them anywhere or nowhere.  Some dealers complain about backorders with Springer but others seem to have them all the time.  Kimbers, Rockies, and Remingtons are easy to find.  Colts much less so.  Smiths and Sigs are also reasonably plentiful.  The high end stuff (Baer, Wilson, etc) seems to all be special order.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Range Officer

I think mine was $850, but the LGS throws me some pretty good deals on archery equipment and used guns, so it evens out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top