Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2014 6:37:57 AM EDT
Preface: I've never had a 1911, only have experience with HKs and Berettas and I really don't know what search terms I'd be looking for, so I'm hoping you guys might be able to share some insight.  

I was in the local shop the other day and was considering a 1911 and as I was going through them, the bottom back corner of the grips kept poking my hands, something I'm definitely not accustomed to. I've circled in red what I'm talking about.    

Is there any way to make these not as sharp or noticeable? I was about to impulse buy one but every time I picked up another model, that same spot was so noticeable on my hand that it kept me from getting one.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got probably 15 different pair of grips, you can change them out with an untold number of variations.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Switch to grips without the cutout.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Sure, you can take a small round file and lightly knock the edge down.  I've had to do that on several grips, some are worse than others about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool, I didn't know how efficient filing them down slightly would be.  I also didn't know they had ones without the cut outs.  I might have to reconsider now... What does that screw/pin where the cutout is do?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#5]
that is the mainspring housing pin. If you need to remve it, most also remove the grips anyway.

you could always lookinto a bobtail 1911
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#6]
To clarify (since you're new to 1911's), you should rarely if ever need to remove the mainspring housing, so there's really no need for everyday access to that pin.
For normal use and field-stripping and cleaning, the stocks that cover the MSH pin will present no problem.
And as Gregory_K says, if you ever do need to detail-strip the pistol to the point where you pull the mainspring housing, you'll almost certainly be removing the stocks, too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
how do you grip a gun? I cant feel that spot if i try
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
How do they feel when you are firing the gun?

Picking up a handgun in the store and languidly waving it at the wall doesn't really convey any information as far as comfort or grip is concerned.

Also, if you are noticing that little pin cutout, your hands are wayyy too soft.  No offense.  You should feel "grip" not comfort.  It's not a pair of shoes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

you could always look into a bobtail 1911

View Quote
This^

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you could always look into a bobtail 1911
This^

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=60871&prev=1

Goddamn those Nightmares are sexy! I want one bad!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont like that either so i replace all my grips with one for a magwell.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#12]
could always try some thin grips.

xlown
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top