Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 9:47:42 PM EDT
Finally got my Taurus PT1911 put together after losing the mainspring pin retainer and ended up buying a whole Ed Brown stainless pin and spring kit. Fired it yesterday and it was perfect. Refinished it in Duracoat Magpul FDE and added some Stealth grey Magpul grips. All the controls were painted with black Krylon Rust tough. This pistol has been my woods beater and plinker for the past 5 years and was a bit rough beforehand.

Most folks think of all Taurus products as turds, but in my opinion, their production on other companies surplus tooling has been A-OK. These 2 pistols are the most used in my collection. The 1911 has over 12,000 in the past 4 years.

The Taurus 92 was finished in OD green 3 years ago. It's got 25k + down the pipe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good, Sir...

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Polished well.

I think it would look much better if the sights were the original color though. The whole slide missed your theme and lacks contrast.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have  PT-92 AFS, no problems here......
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:28:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Polished well.

I think it would look much better if the sights were the original color though. The whole slide missed your theme and lacks contrast.
View Quote

Agree, black the sights.

I have no idea if Taurus makes a nice 1911, but that's a pretty nice looking turd you've got there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:45:45 AM EDT
[#5]
No way in hell I would buy a Taurus, but that really is a nice looking turd!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Agree, black the sights.

I have no idea if Taurus makes a nice 1911, but that's a pretty nice looking turd you've got there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Polished well.

Agree, black the sights.

The plan was to buy new sights anyways so I'll push them off when the time comes. That 1911 was the best $250 I have spent. Roommate was hard for cash and named his price, so I stole it and its served me well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you have to do any custom fitting to get the Magpul grips on it? I've heard the Taurus grips are a little different than normal ones.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you have to do any custom fitting to get the Magpul grips on it? I've heard the Taurus grips are a little different than normal ones.
View Quote

No, they are cut for ambi safety already. I had Pacmyer American Legends before and those I had to dremel one side out for the ambi safety.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#9]
How do the Magpul stocks perform?   I personally like the factory plastic panels.  They have nice texture.  But everything Magpul I have bought has been an upgrade.

To everyone else,  I know looks are the most important factor and apologize in advance for asking about function.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks good! I didn't even know Magpul makes 1911 grips...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks great. I refinished mine too. Put a different hammer and a single safety in along with some Novak's 'Night Dot' Tritium sights. What color does Krylon call that? I use the original Taurus mags (ACT-MAG type) and some ACT-MAG and MEC-GAR, all 8-rd.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How do the Magpul stocks perform?   I personally like the factory plastic panels.  They have nice texture.  But everything Magpul I have bought has been an upgrade.

To everyone else,  I know looks are the most important factor and apologize in advance for asking about function.
View Quote

The magpuls are quite grippy. The texture is a bunch of their little logo's in all directions and they stick up just enough to get a good hold. A little slimmer than I like but I was sick of the American legends.

The FDE is Duracot, the black parts were painted using Krylon Rust Tough enamel. We use it on everything at work so my pistol can too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I like that color. To me, your pistol is far better looking than the 'yellow' Colt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The magpuls are quite grippy. The texture is a bunch of their little logo's in all directions and they stick up just enough to get a good hold. A little slimmer than I like but I was sick of the American legends.

The FDE is Duracot, the black parts were painted using Krylon Rust Tough enamel. We use it on everything at work so my pistol can too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  I think I'll give them a try. If they don't suit me,  not too much is lost.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm absolutely in love with my Taurus PT 1911.  I’ve put in the neighborhood of 5000 rounds threw it so far with not so much as a stove pipe.  And it’s been my experience that the "high end" 1911's are crap.  Had a Kimber that couldn’t ever make it threw a single mag without at least one fail to extract and consistently failed to feed.  Then one day I pulled the trigger and the safety thumb catch broke off and hit me in the face.  I do be leave in the old adage that you get what you pay for and at nearly 1/3 the price the Taurus has been the exception that proved the rule for me.

I finished mine in 2 tone cerakote and the magpul grips as well...  I’ll get a picture tonight and upload it here.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Haven't had to lube the rails yet. This stuff is great.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

The flat of the grip frame is a little wider than a Colt so Taurus grips are a little wider. They also have larger heads on the grip screws (more surface area in contact, better hold) and correspondingly larger reliefs in the grips for them. You can use any 1911 grip and standard screws if you wish. The larger-head grip screws just won't work well with standard grips. Interestingly, Colt used larger-head grip screws on the new Marine pistol for that same purpose - less tightening force needed to keep the screws from shooting loose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top