Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 12:07:52 AM EDT
1. Right now i shoot a springfield TRP. Knowing It has lot of mim parts is starting to bother me. Has anyone had a trp break and what was the round count on the gun?
2. Which of the high end manufacturers use no mim parts and the least amount of investment cast metals. Also which of the high end 1911 is most durable.
Really like both les baer's (premier 2) or ed brown's (various models)
What i like for a 1911
- a nice blue or black finish

-full size 5 inch barrel

-series 70 (no firing pin safety)

- good fit and finish no flaws in appearance from the factory

- i like them really really tight where the slide to frame/ barrel to bushing fitt

-high end materials if it has a cast part i will probably replace it :(

-prefer fixed sights
stuff I hate on a 1911
-bob tail corner

-ugly logos or stamps (looking at your thunder ranch special )

-cost cutting measures in any way

Want something that is super tough and can be passed down from generation to generation...

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:02:22 AM EDT
[#1]
DW Valor is all barstock except the grip safety which is cast. Don't worry about the TRP, Springfield MIM parts don't break often.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Just about every production 1911 is built on cnc machines, a cost cotting measure.

Just replace the min parts with barstock if it bothers you.

I've had kimber min parts last over 15,000 cycles before the needed replacment, not for failure, but wear as my trigger startted getting some creep.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:13:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Get over it.

A baer or Wesson is not going to be better than the TRP.  

Springfield's MIM is good shit.

What's your round count??  Get off your ass and wear it out.  Then complain.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:36:34 AM EDT
[#4]
pick up a used Colt series 70 made in the early 80's and you should be GTG I would think.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
LOL have fun trying to break MIM parts.  The ignorance about MIM parts is amusing.   You would think they are simple zinc alloy castings the way people fear their disconnectors just crumbling inside their gun.

Just remember, barstock can break too.    And usually needs much more fitting and finishing to work as well as MIM parts.

Oh yeah, some of the best customs are done on cast frames.

I'm not saying this to ridicule you.  I'm saying this because your perception has been flawed in a quest for only "real" metal.  While MIM is implemented as a cost cutting measure in facilities that are set up to produce it, it does yield some properties that are beneficial besides lower machine labor.  You have a great 1911.  I'd leave it alone.

To answer your question directly, Dan Wesson Valor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pick up a used Colt series 70 made in the early 80's and you should be GTG I would think.
View Quote

Still have a few cast small parts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#7]
What about something like a post-war Colt Government?

All this modern stuff has been mim'ed, casted, and CNC'd to the point where it's not even something man-made anymore.  It's just some robot-product.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:11:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get over it.

A baer or Wesson is not going to be better than the TRP.  

Springfield's MIM is good shit.

What's your round count??  Get off your ass and wear it out.  Then complain.

View Quote

Lol.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Only MIM part I broke on my TRP was a firing pin stop. Hell the gun still finished the class I was in with half the firing pin stop missing

It was put through some pretty grueling round counts too
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is a answer. Karl Lippard's M1911A2 or NCO pistol. It is made from S7 tool steel. I have seen this guy shoot this pistol and hit a 600 yard steel plate (18" diameter). Yea, it took about 3 rounds to adjust onto the target but even the ones that missed the plate were so close you would no want to be there.

Karl Lippard (.com) makes top quality stuff these are expensive but they will last a couple of lifetimes of hard use. There are no MIM parts in pistol all parts machined from S7 tool steel or other top quality steel fit to the task needed in the pistol.  He is out of Colorado Springs, Co.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Best guess would be certain Wilson models, though there's not much to a Colt (namely sear/disconnector). Quality MIM can be as good as barstock from what I gather.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Best guess would be certain Wilson models, though there's not much to a Colt (namely sear/disconnector). Quality MIM can be as good as barstock from what I gather.
View Quote

Colt wrote the book on MIM

Like their aluminum frame alloys, they did all the leg work 20-40 years ago and enjoy the fruit of their labors now.

Most people also don't realize that their "reloader abuse gun" ruger DA revolvers are all castings.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#13]
DW Valor
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Norinco.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Like their aluminum frame alloys, they did all the leg work 20-40 years ago and enjoy the fruit of their labors now.

Most people also don't realize that their "reloader abuse gun" ruger DA revolvers are all castings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thing is the frames (ruger) were designed to be cast, the 1911 was not. Now this does not mean a cast 1911 frame is junk as Caspian proved this long ago to be false. MIN is just another process to make parts, they can be good or bad, same as a drop forged part. In reality it is easier to make a good casting than a forged part.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might explain the GP100 my dad bought used once. Someone must have shot some hot loads in it, as the cylinder was all sorts of jacked up, as was the barrel/frame area.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]

What i like for a 1911
- i like them really really tight where the slide to frame/ barrel to bushing fitt
-high end materials if it has a cast part i will probably replace it :(

stuff I hate on a 1911
-cost cutting measures in any way

Want something that is super tough and can be passed down from generation to generation...

View Quote

It's odd that you are more concerned about the fit of bushing to barrel and frame to slide than you are of barrel to slide.  THAT is what determines the greatest portion of M1911 accuracy from a mechanical perspective.

If you want something without any cast parts, feel free to spend your money that way.  You just won't necessarily be getting better parts, and that is a fact.

If you want to avoid "cost cutting measures in any way", I guess that means any parts fabricated via any mass production process are out.  That rules out CNC or even tooling setups, relies striclty on manual one-at-a-time parts fabrication.  After all, that is the most expensive way to make parts.  (See how silly the mandate to "avoid cost cutting measures" winds up looking?)

In short, you have set goals that (1)are probably close to unattainable and (2) will have no meaningful benefit over somewhat less lofty goals for said pistol.

Good luck in your search.  It might be long and/or very expensive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Norinco.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Norinco.
View Quote

Yeah thats another way to get there.

So would an Argentine Sistema.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Norinco.

Yep or maybe even a Balister Rigaud.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Not trying to be a turd in the punchbowl here but I've had two MIM hammers break on a Para LDA. I won't own a 1911 now with MIM high wear parts. Safety, grip safety, and slide stop are fine, but all the guts in mine get swapped for bar stock within the first 1000rds I own them. I know LDAs are different internally and the hammers have less material than a standard 1911 hammer, but after 7500 rds of use my Tac S had been back to Para twice for a replacement hammer.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not trying to be a turd in the punchbowl here but I've had two MIM hammers break on a Para LDA. I won't own a 1911 now with MIM high wear parts. Safety, grip safety, and slide stop are fine, but all the guts in mine get swapped for bar stock within the first 1000rds I own them. I know LDAs are different internally and the hammers have less material than a standard 1911 hammer, but after 7500 rds of use my Tac S had been back to Para twice for a replacement hammer.

View Quote

Doubtful it was because it was MIM.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Para.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Might explain the GP100 my dad bought used once. Someone must have shot some hot loads in it, as the cylinder was all sorts of jacked up, as was the barrel/frame area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably rifle powder burning slow as fuck.

But yeah, they got a reputation as a "test bench" type of gun over the years.

The funny thing is that the Colt Troopers are probably far stronger.  

Colt Troopers also have several MIM small parts.  But nothing affected by the firing of hot shit.  Just a historical note since we are on the MIM topic.  Colt pioneered their sintered metal technology in the MKIII Trooper.  They also provided the technology and methods to several other industries.  At the time Colt was involved in multiple industries.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#25]
What's MIM?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Metal Injection Molded parts

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the "MIM parts are the debbil" business gets highly overplayed around here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Investment casting is very different than MIM. Dan Wesson Valor is your best bang for the buck. Uses only EGW and Ed Brown parts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think the "MIM parts are the debbil" business gets highly overplayed around here.
View Quote

Purchasing 1911's, and using them for more than just collecting is typically a highly personal decision.

While the 1911 has it's attributes that no other gun can touch, it still carries a level of nostalgia or high level of personal choice in craftsmanship.

From this we get emotional decisions regarding what a 1911 for a certain task "should be" and reject anything that isn't fitting our definition.

I am guilty of it.  I suspect anyone owning a 1911 by choice is guilty of it as well. And much more so than almost any other firearm out there.

It is not a bad thing.  

But it is how we arrive at an idea of what a 1911 "should" be made out of.

The rejection of MIM is both a yearning for nostalgia of "how they used to be", and also partly striving for perfected modern craftsmanship.

MIM and barstock do not answer either completely.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:31:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Nostalgia and that stupid internet mantra aside...

My 1911s are setup according to recommendations from Vickers and Yam.  

They habe been more reliable than all the plastic junkers I've also shot the past ten years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They habe been more reliable than all the plastic junkers I've also shot the past ten years.
View Quote

Hilton Yam recommends you buy an M&P
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#32]
when Hilton buys my guns I will care what he thinks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude I ROFL while eating a piece of Easter candy, almost choked to death!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a Colt S70 repro. Flip out the disconnector, magazine catch, slide stop, and sear.

10-8 Performance, and Cylinder & Slide will have the appropriate parts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#35]
If you're not afraid to pay for quality, call Cabot Guns and ask about their components. (ETA: You can also ask if they'll build one without the billboards.)
I know nothing about them except what I've seen on their website but may try to visit the factory next time I'm in their part of the state.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#36]
SARCO is selling COLT government Models for $500 that have ZERO MIM parts. They were made in the 1930's. I have one and other than the barrel being nearly worn out, it is a serviceable pistol.

Oh yeah, go remove the cast steel brake calipers and rotors from your car before they get you killed. You know how poorly made cast steel parts are and how frequently they fail. Hurry up now before your family gets burned to a crisp I while screaming "WHY WHY WHY didn't you save us!"
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I've never had a MIM part break, and I don't worry about it, either.

If you're looking for a new 1911, I suggest your username as a clue. Look at a Wiley Clapp Government Model, and you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Him and Vickers both sell accessory shit for plastic guns....    Don't make me wanna shoot one.  

The man knows his shit when it comes to 1911s.  I don't care what he shoots, but he can make a 1911 run.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#39]
If you really, really want the best parts (by your definition), why not a custom build with all parts you spec'd. Everything you need, and nothing you don't like. There are top name 1911 builders/custom shops to choose, just expect long wait.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#40]
MIM is not as good, you will notice no one ever feels compelled to convince people their forged parts are as good as MIM.   The Springfunk TRP is a good example of proper use of quality MIM in a second tier 1911

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top