Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2014 12:33:23 PM EDT
I have a SIG 1911, 5". I bought an 18.5# Wolff extra power recoil spring for Buffalo Bore +P loads and they shipped it with an extra power firing pin spring, which I installed. The extra power recoil spring works great with +P loads but doesn't always lock the slide back on the last round when shooting regular pressure loads. I would like to be able to switch recoil springs depending on which load I use (I think the stock spring is 16#).

Switching the recoil spring takes seconds, but the firing pin spring is a bit of a pain. So my question is...when switching back to the lighter (stock) recoil spring, is there any reason I can't just leave the extra power firing pin spring in? Will it cause any sort of potential problems? I've fired the gun with the lighter recoil spring/heavier firing pin spring combo and it works fine, but I haven't exactly put a 1000 rounds though it like this.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525031

apparently just makes it harder for inertia to accidently fire. but the link above goes pretty indepth into it.

sort of like springfield with the lighter firing pin and heavy spring.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

One thing I can't figure out from reading that...does the heavier firing pin spring need the heavier recoil spring? In other words, if I've fired hundreds of rounds through the 1911 since the heavier firing pin spring and heavier recoil spring have been installed, can I say that yes, the heavier firing pin spring works, and will continue to work with the lighter recoil spring back in the gun?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Either firing spring will work with your recoil springs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
All the Wolff recoil springs come with the same xp firing pin spring.  

It'll be alright.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to tame some recoil without causing failure to lock back issues try an EGW firing pin stop.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:12:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want to tame some recoil without causing failure to lock back issues try an EGW firing pin stop.
View Quote

Or a Wilson.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Leave the EXP firing pin spring in with any recoil spring. They are included with new recoil springs to eliminate the possibility of a slam-fire with a new recoil spring and a worn-out FP spring. You might that a 17# spring will work with both loads.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all. What are these EGW/Wilson firing pin stops and how can they have so much of an effect on recoil? I've googled them and found that a lot of people like them but I can't find anything on how they work.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#10]
The lack of a radius at the bottom requires more force to work the slide.

While I use EGW FP stops, I always ground a small radius on the bottom.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks all. What are these EGW/Wilson firing pin stops and how can they have so much of an effect on recoil? I've googled them and found that a lot of people like them but I can't find anything on how they work.
View Quote

Basically the slide stop is what contacts the hammer and cocks it as the slide moves rearward.  Think of the hammer as a wrench, and the force of the mainspring as a nut.  The longer the wrench, the easier to turn the nut.  The contact point on a standard firing pin stop is radiused (rounded) moving that contact point on the hammer further away from the pivot point (hammer pin).  The EGW and Wilson firing pin stops come with out the rounded edge, which moves the contact point on the hammer closer to the pivot.  The extra effort needed to cock the hammer slows down the slide at the beginning of the rearward movement instead of towards the end like an extra power recoil spring. You just add a slight radius to the flat slide stop, just enough to break the sharp edge.  This also means it will be harder for you to rack the slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top