Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 5:55:53 AM EDT
What do you guys think? Should I sell/trade the 2 1911's I have right now for a better quality 1911?  I have a SW 1911ES and a Kimber Pro Carry SLE. (Both have been flawless) Would like to get a commander, lightweight with a bobtail. Maybe a Kobra Carry? Dan Wesson?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:20:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. I would trade both of those for a Dan Wesson V-BOB.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  Neither one of those are what I'd consider keepers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd agree. I'm more uitlitarian with most handguns. I did the same thing a couple of years ago to get a like new TRP.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I like those E series pistols. But I would trade both of those for a Dan Wesson, no doubt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I support tradingmultiple pistols to upgrade to one.......I am struggling with that right now.....do I liquidate more than one to acquire that pre-war 38 super I'm salivating over
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quality > quantity
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#8]
As long as you like a bobtailed pistol
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. Bobtail is more for concealment. Would like to get as much concealment as possible.
Ok, so I guess I will be putting them up for sale/trade.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I would get rid of them.....I don't think either of those 1911s would compare to a Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm doing the same right now too
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Bobtail is more for concealment. Would like to get as much concealment as possible.
View Quote

Have you ever shot a bobtail?  I have seen several comments of people not liking the feel.
Just an fyi
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#13]
No, I have not. All the ranges in my area that have 1911 for rent, don't have any bobtails. Would be great if I could rent one. Does the bobtail make a difference in concealment?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Usually I would say no. But, in this case, yes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Im confused, what do you expect to gain when you said the 2 you have now are 100% shooters. sure the ones on your want list are good guns but you cant get better than 100% and if you think they will get you better accuracy that is not always the case. handle one before you decide and then if its what your after then go for it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have you ever shot a bobtail?  I have seen several comments of people not liking the feel.
Just an fyi
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just an fyi

I held one at a gun show and immediately put it down. Not for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok, now I am rethinking things. I will need to hold a bobtail one before I do anything. Going to have to start calling around and see if I can find a bobtail.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just an fyi

I'm neutral on bobtails. Don't love 'em, don't hate 'em. My LGS had a V-BOB a while ago and it felt good in the hand.

If you want a LW frame and bobtail, get the DW Guardian. The V-BOB has a steel frame.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I am not sure I would make a trade and this is why. When someone says better they mean more expensive, when trading they low ball you on your side then take some off theirs to some how think your getting a great deal. I was in your position months ago. I wanted a Dan Wesson Guardian bad and was going to trade my Springfield Champion Operator. Went to local gun store and the guy said it will be mine plus $800.00. My Operator did not have a mark on it flawless so the Guardian was going for $1500.00 and change at the time. So I would have gotten less than $700.00 for my Operator and at that time the only change was the VZ grips. Then since I am a lefty it would cost another bill to get new safety and then another bill to get new VZ's for the Guardian. So in reality it would be mine and $900.00. Needless to say I didn't make the trade and a short time later I found a used one and was able to shoot it before buying. I found that I shot mine better so after all the hoopla I thought why would I give up a gun that I shoot better and has caused no problem for a so called better weapon that I didn't shoot as well. Don't get me wrong I think about the money but if the Dan Wesson would have done something for me other than cost more it would be in my safe. I continue to think about getting a name brand but if the net result is only spending more money its not for me. I have two Kimbers that look good shoot good one in 3 and the other in 5 inch. Now I have a selection to fit my needs at the time and not stuck with just one. I ride Harley's and play golf 3 times a week. I did the same thing for a period with golf clubs. I got a new set every year trying to buy a game, it didn't take long to figure all I was doing was spending money and not improving my game at all. With  practice my score came down and I am using my clubs that I have had for 4 years now. Just another window to look out of, good luck.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Golfnut, 95% of the time, I am on my Harley also. If I were to keep the two I have now, I would have an option. Kimber, heavier one, for range and training, then the 1911ES for EDC. Man, why can't I just have to he money and buy whichever I want that month. I have plenty of others that I can carry, lately I have been thinking of just going over to 1911's.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#21]
How does the bobtail make it more concealable ?

If you want a more concealable 1911 , I would suggest a CCO type.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How does the bobtail make it more concealable ?

If you want a more concealable 1911 , I would suggest a CCO type.

View Quote

Rounded butt prints less
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ok, now I am rethinking things. I will need to hold a bobtail one before I do anything. Going to have to start calling around and see if I can find a bobtail.
View Quote

Good plan, I picked up one of the Dan Wesson bobtails and really didn't care for the bobtail they are not for everyone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Good plan, I picked up one of the Dan Wesson bobtails and really didn't care for the bobtail they are not for everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just bought a CCO as I was not sure about the bobtail

another option
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#25]
My 191ES is a CCO.  I love it for EDC. I gotta find a Bobtail snd see for myself. Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#26]
For me, a bobtail feels no different than a standard grip.  YMMV depending on how large your hands are.

If your hands are large enough to hang off the end of an officer size grip then you will probably feel the difference.  The advantage is that yes, they do conceal better, and with a high/close holster they don't poke you in the ribs nearly as much as a standard grip.

If I owned two 1911's I would not trade both toward a higher end gun.  If I owned 3 then I might trade 2 of them.  (2 is 1 and 1 is none etc)  I'd probably save up, and then trade 1 plus cash for a Dan Wesson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top