Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 3:10:18 PM EDT
Im debating between the Mil Spec and Loaded and cannot seem to decide between the two, so I decided to see if any of you can help me out. There are a few things I know I like or don't like about each of 1911, but Im not quite sure on other features:

What is the big deal with beaver tail safeties? (Other than reducing hammer bite). Do you like them or not? Furthermore, is there any significance to the bump towards the bottom of beaver tail safety?

Why would a right-handed shooter, like myself, want an ambi-safety? Is it a good feature or more of a bother?

Any opinions on the arched MSH and a short trigger (Mil Spec) vs the flat MSH and a long trigger (Loaded)? Mind you that I have smaller hands, any advantage in either case for shooters with smaller hands?

Are the sights on the Loaded a lot better than the sights on the Mil Spec?

Any opinions on the front slide serrations on the Loaded?

Is the fit and/or finish that much better on the Loaded than the Mil Spec?

If you guys have any other opinions on one over the other, please share! One of these will be my first 1911, thats why Im so clueless on these features. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I decided to go with the Loaded. I picked it up for $800 as a 21st birthday gift to myself. I absolutely love it so far, and I will be taking it to the range tomorrow. Thank you to all who helped me out!

http://<ahttp://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/taydietz2/IMG_6953_zps514da63d.jpg</a>" />

http://<ahttp://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/taydietz2/d43382b4-1fd5-49aa-a591-154321ab3ec2_zps2d9b9cdf.jpg</a>" />

http://<ahttp://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/taydietz2/IMG_6940_zps4a195e11.jpg</a>" />

http://<ahttp://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/taydietz2/IMG_6943_zps32d36bd1.jpg</a>" />

http://<ahttp://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/taydietz2/IMG_6945_zpseacb41c5.jpg</a>" />
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The beavertail makes the gun handle a lot better

the bump on the bottom ensures you engage is

the front cocking serrations are great for when the range officer says " IF YOU ARE FINISHED, UNLOAD AND SHOW CLEAR"

He wants to see the empty chamber

It also makes it easy to clear a jam because your weak hand is going under the weapon and letting your eyes see what's going on

the ambi is good for "weak hand" stages in USPSA/IPSC were they make right handed shooters shoot left hand, and vise versa

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the big deal with beaver tail safeties? (Other than reducing hammer bite). Do you like them or not? Furthermore, is there any significance to the bump towards the bottom of beaver tail safety?
Some people need(like) them, some don't. All of mine have beavertails, but they definitely aren't a must. The bump on the bottom makes it easier and more likely to engage.

Why would a right-handed shooter, like myself, want an ambi-safety? Is it a good feature or more of a bother?
As with the beavertail, all of my 1911's have them. Unless you shoot lefty, they really aren't needed. Often times the right side, which is held on by the grip, gets loose. The Wilson bullet proof, King's, Caspian, and Kimber are held on by the hammer pin, and are much sturdier

Any opinions on the arched MSH and a short trigger (Mil Spec) vs the flat MSH and a long trigger (Loaded)? Mind you that I have smaller hands, any advantage in either case for shooters with smaller hands?
I have small hands. The long trigger with the flat housing fit me well... it's all preference
Are the sights on the Loaded a lot better than the sights on the Mil Spec?
. The Loaded sights are less likely to snag, but both are fine. I happen to prefer white dots, so the glow of the loaded makes no difference for me, but for some it's desirable

Any opinions on the front slide serrations on the Loaded?
If you grip the front of the gun when doing press checks they are a plus... otherwise they chew up your holsters

Is the fit and/or finish that much better on the Loaded than the Mil Spec?
I have owned both, and both are great

If you guys have any other opinions on one over the other, please share! One of these will be my first 1911, thats why Im so clueless on these features. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I'd buy the loaded, just because it has a lot of features for much cheaper than it would be to add them down the road,
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my mid-1990's IPSC gun.

started off as a Mil-spec Springfield

Ken Hallock installed the Bo-Mar sights

I hand checkered the front-strap, fitted the Ed Brown beavertail grip safety, thumb safety, S&A magwell , etc.,etc., and then had the entire lower sent off the METALIFE for hard chrome

Springfield Armory 1911's are an excellent base for a top-notch custom 1911

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the loaded, Dad has a mil-spec.

Bottom line: All the loaded features are better except the ambi-safety. The two halves walk apart making the right-side loose and poor-functioning. I built a metal shim into the right grip to prevent this and it works. But I shouldn't have had to.

Having spent a lot of time with both I  vote for the loaded. But plan on maybe needing to fix or replace the safety with something better. Maybe SA already dealt with this. Mine is several years old.

Edited to correct horrendous typo that made it sound like I was recommending the mil-spec. I wasn't. Get the Loaded!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Im debating between the Mil Spec and Loaded and cannot seem to decide between the two, so I decided to see if any of you can help me out. There are a few things I know I like or don't like about each of 1911, but Im not quite sure on other features:

If you're interested in casual shooting and owning a 1911 that's mostly true to it's WWII 1911-A1 specifications, get the MILSPEC. If you think you may find yourself shooting it competitively, especially USPSA or similar, get the LOADED as the features on that pistol make it a far better shooter for competition.

What is the big deal with beaver tail safeties? (Other than reducing hammer bite). Do you like them or not? Furthermore, is there any significance to the bump towards the bottom of beaver tail safety? For competition shooting you've gotta have it.  The beavertail safety allows you to grip the pistol higher without getting pinched by the hammer. Once you become a student of the 1911 you'll understand the importance of a "high grip". The bump helps keep the grip safety depressed, when your grip gets really high you can actually lever the grip safety the opposite direction, the raised bump helps keep it in contact with your hand.

Why would a right-handed shooter, like myself, want an ambi-safety? Is it a good feature or more of a bother? You may encounter some weak-hand shooting scenarios in competition the may be helped by an ambi safety.

Any opinions on the arched MSH and a short trigger (Mil Spec) vs the flat MSH and a long trigger (Loaded)? Mind you that I have smaller hands, any advantage in either case for shooters with smaller hands? Arched or straight MSH is mostly a personal choice as to  what fits your hand best. Short or long trigger is the same deal. I've got large hands an prefer a long trigger. My finger falls on the trigger with less rearward curl. The short milspec trigger give more room inside the trigger guard for when you are in cold weather and having to wear gloves.

Are the sights on the Loaded a lot better than the sights on the Mil Spec? Yes,much better for competition shooting. I've been shooting a SA Loaded in USPSA Single stack for years and it's got the original BoMar type adjustable rear sight. I've replace the front with a fiber-optic.

Any opinions on the front slide serrations on the Loaded? Myself, I don't like front serrations for competition pistols, too much chance you'll find your hand out in front of the muzzle at the wrong time. Others may have a differing opinion.

Is the fit and/or finish that much better on the Loaded than the Mil Spec? I haven't held a Milspec, but I've got a number of SA 1911s and they are all well finished.

Here's my USPSA S/S pistol, I've been shooting this one for 6 years and it's probably got 10k+ round thru it. Much of the original internals have been replaced. Nothing ever broke, but got replaced when wear was making things a little loose.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with the Loaded and its awesome. To add the Loaded features to the Milspec through a Custom shop is $500+. The sights alone are worth $200.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
picked up a loaded on trade earlier this year. I LOVE THIS GUN!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the Loaded.  A good buddy has the Loaded.  It's one of the best packages you can get if you want a full size size 1911 WITH modern features for about $1000.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The best thing about the Mil-spec is that you can get the same mods done by a 'smith better than Springfield tends to do it.

The best thing about the Loaded is that you don't immediately need any mods, assuming the gun runs out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the Loaded.  A good buddy has the Loaded.  It's one of the best packages you can get if you want a full size size 1911 WITH modern features for about $1000.

View Quote

I bought my Loaded for $800.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]
It seems like the favorite is the Loaded. I think Im going to go with it; my LGS has it for $800 which seems to be a fair price. Thank you all who replied!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
That.is a fair price indeed. Don't forget the pics!
Going stainless or park?

I went with the mil-spec myself, but it's been to the sacs twice
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Corrected a stupid typo in my previous post. The Loaded. I was trying to say get the Loaded.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#14]
The one I want is park'd. I will probably end up with a Stainless Steel 1911 somewhere down the road, but my first one will definitely be park'd. Whenever I get it I'll be sure to post some pics of it! Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:01:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Loaded, stainless. Cuz park'd finish sux
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:03:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Loaded, stainless. Cuz park'd finish sux
View Quote

Keep it oiled and park'd is just fine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Its not just rust.
They scratch and scuff easily.
Might be ok for a safe queen
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#18]
My parked RO has been great compared to the beadblast on the SS loaded I used to own in regards to rust.  Besides holster wear, the parked gun just has more honest wear/character.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:29:48 AM EDT
[#19]
The way I see it, it being a 1911 and all, its a battle gun, so I really don't care if I get it scratched up a bit. I'm not a big fan of shiny 1911s, not saying I will never own one, but I prefer a matte finish. Now if the stainless was bead blasted all over (like how the top of the slide is) then I would definitely get the stainless!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#20]
The parked loaded's come with factory night sights too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The way I see it, it being a 1911 and all, its a battle gun, so I really don't care if I get it scratched up a bit. I'm not a big fan of shiny 1911s, not saying I will never own one, but I prefer a matte finish. Now if the stainless was bead blasted all over (like how the top of the slide is) then I would definitely get the stainless!
View Quote

The buy features, not the finish

Loaded has checkering on frontstrap and night sights.  Decision is easy as far as I am concerned.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Loaded has checkering on frontstrap
View Quote

Not on the Loaded, unless something's changed very recently.   Usually have to go up to the TRP to get that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Loaded has checkering on frontstrap and night sights.  Decision is easy as far as I am concerned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Loaded does not have checkering.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I realized that while I was driving after typing it lol
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It seems like the favorite is the Loaded. I think Im going to go with it; my LGS has it for $800 which seems to be a fair price. Thank you all who replied!
View Quote

Good choice. See if they have a Loaded with an "NM" prefix serial number. They are generally more refined than the average "N" prefix serial numbered pistols.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Good choice. See if they have a Loaded with an "NM" prefix serial number. They are generally more refined than the average "N" prefix serial numbered pistols.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went in yesterday to check that and it is in fact an "NM" Loaded!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good! The pistol in my avatar is an NM Loaded. I've only put 375 rounds through it, but it has had no malfunctions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUY IT!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I have both a 2011 Mil-Spec and a 2012 Range Officer (essentially an Operator with adjustable rear sight and a full length guide rod), both are 'NM' models and both are great to shoot.  While I got the Mil-Spec first to commemorate the 100th anniversary of J.M. Browning's design and mimic the 1911 I carried in the Army, I also like the Range Officer as it has a longer trigger and better target sights.  This allows me to shoot it more accurately so if you're into precision shooting, the Range Officer is a better choice as it allows for more precise aiming.  If, however, you're looking for a 1911A1 that's more like the military sidearm, then the Mil-Spec is the ticket.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks again to everyone who helped me out! Photos of my Loaded are in the OP.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not on the Loaded, unless something's changed very recently.   Usually have to go up to the TRP to get that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Loaded has checkering on frontstrap

Trophy Match has checkering too if you want a solid range gun. I just don't like the TM roll marks.

Nice choice, OP. It's tough to go wrong with a Springer. On top of making a solid gun, their customer service is some of the best in the industry.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#32]
My N prefix loaded is tighter all around than the NM prefix guns I've shot in the past.

Sample size of 1 and all.

Freaking love it.

It's getting fed a lot this weekend.

250 rounds Friday morning and another 300-400 on Sunday.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top