Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/12/2014 8:09:27 AM EDT
Hey guys, so I am wanting (God only know why, lol) a 1911.  I am heavily invested in 9MM, via Glocks, Sigs, and Berettas.  So for the sake of keeping the ammo pile narrowed down, I would like to go with a 9mm.  But this leads me to al lot of questions, that I am not sure of.  Please help!  

1.  What would you guys go with, in the way of a "mid level" brand of gun?

2.  I would guess that there are not as many parts as for a .45, but is there still a healthy amount of aftermarket parts for 9MM 1911's to be had?  IE; barrels bushings, mags, trigger parts, and such?  I ask this, because I am sure that I will end up wanting upgrades in the run.    If this is the case, what brands, and who makes the good stuff for this?  

3.  on these guns, can you get them to run with cheaper ammo?  Will they eat steel? Just for range, and blasting ammo, is my reasoning behind this.  

I am sorry for so many questions, but would really like to hear from other guys who know, or have gone this route.  Thanks for the help guys.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Springfield Range Officer. Will be my next 9.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey 226, what are they running?  

What about Rock Island?  Are they a servicable pistol?  Are they decent for the $$?  I guess a better way of putting it, would be; are they a decent platform to build on?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What about Rock Island?  Are they a servicable pistol?  Are they decent for the $$?  I guess a better way of putting it, would be; are they a decent platform to build on?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around $800, give or take $50. Rock Islands are good pistols, but they are not really made to build on. This takes away their big advantage over the competition, which is how cheap they are.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I went with the RIA 9mm Tactical model, it came with the mag funnel, beavertail, ambi-extended safety, and pretty much all the bells and whistles.  Eventually I plan on removing the guide rod and going with a standard recoil spring plug.  I don't think I would call it "mid-range" more like lower end, but it's been flawless (except for the fact I had to mod the right grip panel at the top to allow the safety to fully disengage) and you can't beat the price.

Mine has worked just fine with Wolf and WWB, but I haven't tried any of the Tula 9mm in it yet.

Most of your aftermarket parts are going to be interchangeable with the exception of those that are caliber specific, like mags, barrels, slides, etc.  But safeties, hammers, slide stops, and all that other stuff should swap between 45/9, (IIRC).
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds to me like you are under the impression that aftermarket parts for 1911s are mostly drop in.

This is a false assumption.  By the time you buy a budget 1911 and aftermarket parts and the gunsmithing fees to install them correctly you are going to be approaching custom shop prices.

Do yourself a favor and buy a 1911 with as many "upgrades" as you'll want in the end from the start. You'll save money and have a better pistol in the end.

Look into the STI Trojans
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Durabo, I am half assed aware that they are not one of my Glocks, but not fully though. Are things like barrels, and such, not able to be dropped in?  Are things like barrel bushing "gunsmith fitted" items to speak? Extended safety's?  

CA/Tx Cop, what is unique to the RIA, that is not able to be interchanged with a "standard" 1911?  How is the accuracy with it?  Has it been pretty reliable?  As in you would bet your life on it?  

I guess yes, I would be wanting a decent gun, but this is my first run on this platform.  I've shot a lot of good 1911's, in the upper end of things, but never owned one. I know there are guns that will reach as high of a budget as you want to spend, and am willing to pay good money, for good stuff.  Maybe a S/A Range officer would be a better option?  I guess however, an intro gun in the 1911's,  would be more of what I want, but not neccsarily the cheapest junk though.  I hope I am making sense.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I seen a Springfield RO at a local shop a couple weeks ago and they wanted $850+ for it, I have a RIA basic 9MM and its been a great little gun for the money, I was able to luck into one of those used but unfired deals last summer in a local shop, If I were in the market for a 1911 9MM right now and didn't mind the extra money I would go with the Springfield, I still might get one just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Springfield RO in 9mm, and im very happy with it.   Id consider it a solid midlevel option.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Around $800, give or take $50. Rock Islands are good pistols, but they are not really made to build on. This takes away their big advantage over the competition, which is how cheap they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes them "not really made to build on"?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Durabo, I am half assed aware that they are not one of my Glocks, but not fully though. Are things like barrels, and such, not able to be dropped in?  Are things like barrel bushing "gunsmith fitted" items to speak? Extended safety's?  

View Quote

Well let's see -

You want different sights? If you get a "milspec" or gov model 1911 that is going to be a gunsmith job.  As in cutting a channel into your slide.  Same thing for any model if say it doesn't come with sights that have a Novak cut and you want sights that do.  Even then there is fitting involved if you are swapping one Novak cut sight for another.

Slide serrations? Gunsmith.

Barrel change? Gunsmith if you want it to fit perfectly and not rattle around. Same for bushing.

Extended safety? Gunsmith fit unless it just so happens to fit.

Trigger "might" be drop in.

FCG "might" be drop in.  I had to fit a SVI safety to my FCG after changing that to SVI even though the SVI was mostly drop in. Although the leaf spring from SVI wouldn't have went in if I didn't have a knowledgable gunsmith helping me.

Grip safety? Maybe drop in if you don't care about it being blended.

Mainspring housing? Same.

Bobtail? Gunsmith.

Checkering on the front strap? Gunsmith and refinish.

Undercut trigger guard? Gunsmith and refinish.

Hell if you do ANY blending or dehorning a refinish will be needed.  

Here was my 9mm commander project - http://3gn.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=146937
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't pour money into a Rock Island.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But why not? Is the forging no good? Are the holes in the wrong places?

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But why not? Is the forging no good? Are the holes in the wrong places?

View Quote

What forging?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a 9mm Colt Defender because I also am heavily invested in 9mm and it hasn't had any issues with anything I put through it. " />
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well? Care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well? Care to elaborate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well? Care to elaborate?

Cast frame
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I picked up a Para Elite commander .45 a while ago. Only thing fancy it came with is a "match" barrel, which, I would tend to say it is as the thing is a tack driver. Trigger out of the box is better than my buddies Kimber(this is subjective, everyone likes their triggers different), only thing I want to change is the sites. Going to be one of my projects for school.

Anyways, I would say look at Para, i'm actually surprised they havn't been brought up yet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#18]
This > RIA 9mm will be my next 1911 in 9mm. If I wanted to save up for a higher quality 1911 9mm , i'd go for the STI Trojan.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#19]
A 9mm 1911 is the V-6  camaro of gun world.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This > RIA 9mm will be my next 1911 in 9mm. If I wanted to save up for a higher quality 1911 9mm , i'd go for the STI Trojan.
View Quote

Buds has the same GI 9mm for about fiddy bux cheaper.

That's where I got mine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice piece of unsubstantiated drivel...how many have you shot / owned?  You heard that from an hourly employee at a gun shop didn't you.  I bet you thought, "hey, that will sound awesome online, I'm going to repeat that."  

Welcome to arfcom.

OP...a 9mm 1911 is fun to shoot.  I only wish I'd tried one sooner.  It makes a lot of sense for target shooting.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll zig to everyone's zag and recommend the Turkish made TISAS Classic 1911-A1 9MM 5" GI BLACK for $399 from BUD'S.

The lines are cleaner and closer to " Colt correct " than the Pinoy 1911s and the build quality is generally nicer.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#23]
@Boarklr, thanks for defending my v6 driving homo ways.  Sorry, I guess I'm still trying to work my way up to tier 32.  

Bullet, that looks like a nice rig there.  Do you have one?  I'm up for reccomendations, thanks for posting!

As for mags guys, which ones would you guys go with?  Are the Metalform mags good?  They are the best of the breed in 9mm AR mags I know.  What about Mec-Gar?  I know they build really good Beretta mags.  

Thanks for the help guys, and making this a really good place!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is a 38Super?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's where I got mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where I got mine.

Looks like a $5. difference. You look at sale price?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bullet, that looks like a nice rig there.  Do you have one?  I'm up for reccomendations, thanks for posting!

As for mags guys, which ones would you guys go with?  Are the Metalform mags good?  They are the best of the breed in 9mm AR mags I know.  What about Mec-Gar?    

Thanks for the help guys, and making this a really good place!
View Quote

I don't have one yet. But it's on my shopping list for this year.
Just waiting for the compact ( officers) size to come out.

They are well regarded.  The guys on a " 1911 forum " like them relative to the pistol's price point.
Frames and slides are cast like RIA, but the internals are all MIM like a Kimber or Springfield . The grips are genuine walnut. No cast or plastic parts.

--------------------------------------------

Magazines are the heart and soul of a 1911. Get cheap mags and even a $2000 custom will run like shit.
Top shelf mags will make a basic 1911 run like a champ.
The vast majority of 1911 mags out there are pure shit sold to suckers spending a dollar ( burning ammo and time testing reliability after tweaking the feed lips or polishing the feed ramp ) trying to save a dime ( simply buying the best mags and forgetting about it ) .

I use only Tripp Cobra mags.  
Many prefer the lower priced, but still great Wilson mags.

Mec-Gar makes most of the factory pistol mags these days.
They do good work at the lowest price to defect rate that many companies find acceptable.
Mec-Gar is as low as I'd go, but wouldn't expect perfection.

Save the metalform mags and other " always on sale " stuff for someone you don't like and secretly want to see frustrated.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#27]
If you want a fun shooter, get a RIA tactical.  Mine has been great and I love it.  I run metalform mags and my RIA eats every round I've tried.  The RIA is as accurate as I can shoot it and don't need to spend double the price on a Springfield since I can't shoot 2 inch groups at 25 yards anyway.  I love shooting 1911's but 45 ammo is expensive so I wanted to try a 9mm.  I would suggest the tactical over the GI.  The GI tore up the web of my hand after extended shooting.  David

Shameless picture

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Just curious to what all you 9mm 1911 owners think about the recoil advantages of 9mm vs .45.  I had been thinking of a 9mm 1911 for quite some time, because I wanted to keep everything in the same caliber.  But after shooting a 9mm 1911, I felt that the recoil difference was negligible.  In fact, the 9mm almost felt 'snappier', with more muzzle rise. I wish I had the ability to shoot the two back to back.  Does 9mm offer advantages as far as recoil and follow up shot speed?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just curious to what all you 9mm 1911 owners think about the recoil advantages of 9mm vs .45.  I had been thinking of a 9mm 1911 for quite some time, because I wanted to keep everything in the same caliber.  But after shooting a 9mm 1911, I felt that the recoil difference was negligible.  In fact, the 9mm almost felt 'snappier', with more muzzle rise. I wish I had the ability to shoot the two back to back.  Does 9mm offer advantages as far as recoil and follow up shot speed?
View Quote

My 9mm commander is definitely snappier than my 5" .45

But ammo is cheaper and I prefer 9mm for carry.  The 9mm commander is not anywhere near snappy enough to say it isn't fun to shoot.... It's a blast

I too run metalform mags and have no problems.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I guess it depends on the gun.  My 9mm has less recoil than any 45 I own, but it is the only 9mm 1911 I have ever shot.  I can get 3 and some times 4 rounds off in the A zone in the same time it takes me to shoot 2 rounds with my 45.  That is with both being steel guns.  13 pound spring in the 9mm and 18 in the 45.  David
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#31]
10RD 9mm
metalform
tripp
wilson
9rd
chip Mc
Springfield
kimber
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#32]
V6 Camero of handguns.....

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a Springfield RO in 9mm, and im very happy with it.   Id consider it a solid midlevel option.
View Quote

Do they make a Commander length?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I wish they did though. They should make Loaded, RO, and TRP commanders with 4.25" bushing barrels and aluminum frames. They'd sell a ton.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/b/b7/Magpi-1911a.jpg
View Quote

When I am picking up trailer park bitches, I like to drive a Camaro. With a V6.

I do have a .45ACP penis, however.  As it stretches out it spells Kimber, along with their entire US address, in 72 Arial bold font.  

Who does make a Commander length?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#36]
the one 1911 in 9mm that i want hard core is the

dan wesson pointman 9mm 1911.

it has the nicer target rib on the top of the slide
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/b/b7/Magpi-1911a.jpg

Colt did, STI does, sure there are others.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#38]
As Durabo , stated your getter off spending a few hundred extra and buying a 1911 with upgrades already done. 1911 is truly a buy once , cry once handgun.

Most 1911s that won't cycle of function as a reliable pistol - have typically had numerous "upgrades" and "match drop in parts"

1911s require fitted parts , and careful assembly.

I have multiple 1911s -all in 45.
I'm really wanting a 9mm version
   COLT 1911 in 9mm ( used )
   Springfield range officer 9
   Sig Match elite ,
   Dan Wesson Point Man 9

Heck I even want a 1911 in .40
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#39]
A few of my 9mm 1911s.  I love 'em... they're so much fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What is a 38Super?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is a 38Super?
'89 Mustang LX with a 5.0.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I can't be much help with the 9mm 1911, but my .45 Springfield Range Officer is amazing. About 1500 rounds without a single hiccup. Not one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A few of my 9mm 1911s.  I love 'em... they're so much fun to shoot.

<a href="http://s241.photobucket.com/user/kemays/media/9mms.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/9mms.jpg</a>
View Quote

I love the holster wear on the Infinity. [drool]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm and couldn't be happier. Great gun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#44]
If your looking for a Springfield range officer let me know, I have a brand new one I want to get rid of.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#45]
An older 70 series Colt 9mm.  Easily one of the most beautiful 1911's I own.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm also in the market for a 1911 9mm, just for GP. But, I don't want a full length barrel. Who makes one with a 4.25 - 4.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm also in the market for a 1911 9mm, just for GP. But, I don't want a full length barrel. Who makes one with a 4.25 - 4.5" barrel?
View Quote

STI has a few offerings.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Commander or CCO ( Officers) grip size?

What's your price range?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What's your price range?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your price range?

I'm just looking for a 1911 that's a little cheaper to shoot at the range. I'd like to stay under a grand if possible.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#50]
The S&W pro series 9mm 1911 is beautiful

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top