ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Flyin' Hawaiian
Posted: 11/6/2013 6:58:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2013 7:39:06 PM EST by a79flhrider]
I have heard stories, and it may be incorrect but...
During the war in the Philippines, Colt set up shop to manufacture 1911's. After the war ended, Colt sold and left all the manufacturing equipment there rather than ship it all back to the US.
Is it true that Rock Island 1911's are manufactured on Colt machinery?
I've also heard that a S&W/Kimber employee moved to the islands and now works for RIA?
I must admit, I've handled a few RIA 1911's and I am impressed with the smoothness of the slide.
I'm in the market for my first 1911 and I'm looking at the affordable RIA Tactical? Or the pricey Sig Sauer 'Nightmare'.
The RIA, I can buy right now, the Sig, I'd have to put on layaway...The Sig is beautiful! But the RIA is affordable...
Decisions decisions...

Edited 11-23-13 to add:
Well? The decision has been made. I figure, once I get the Sig, I won't need the Rock Island. I pick it up tues!
I teach my daughters to shoot because a restraining order is just a piece of paper! (author unknown)
VacaDuck
"Pocket Harlot" © 2012 Vacaduck
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 7:04:33 AM EST
Look at the Citadel, made by RIA. I love mine.
Proud Member of Team Ranstad
Tennessee Squire
"Fully-loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness." - Malcom Reynolds
I'm a dirty old man with a vivid imagination. I'll make do.
jakoury256
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 7:34:26 AM EST
They make a great out of the box 1911.
Will eat any ammo you run through it.
Fight like the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark
Originally Posted By PinPointOne: Glocks and dildoes are made out of the same material.
Originally Posted By ryann: and they both satisfy...
urbanredneck
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 7:48:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/6/2013 7:49:56 AM EST by urbanredneck]
I think Armscorp is the company that actually owns that plant but it produces pistols for RIA, what used to be Charles and Daly, Metro???, Citadel. Probably a few more but I don't know about the Colt story. As far as pistols, they use investment casting in their manufacturing. They are great pistols for the price and features. I bought a RIA tactical b/c I wanted a decent 1911 and I was not satisfied with the old Argentine 1911 I had. The tac is a nice gun but my dad has it now.

As far as your story, that story is true of the Argentine 1927 Colt Sistemas..... That plant was built by Colt and turned over to the Argentines. Those are good guns too but not quite the deal the used to be.
samuse
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 7:59:41 AM EST
Know how I know you've been talking to someone who works at a gunshop?

brandyspaw
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 9:14:05 AM EST
Yeah, Armscor in its present form didn't really start until 1952. I believe the rumor about Colt your quoting had to have been started by a gun shop commando.

From Wiki: The Arms Corporation of the Philippines (Armscor) is familiar to many firearms enthusiasts for its inexpensive 1911-pattern pistols, revolvers, shotguns, sporting rifles, firearms parts and ammunition. It traces its beginnings to a Manila gun retail store (Squires Bingham & Co.) in the year 1911, though the present corporation was formalized in 1952. Armscor manufactures its own line of firearms but also takes on manufacturing contracts for other companies' firearm lines, such as Twin Pines' Rock Island Armory (RIA) pistols. In addition to the Rock Island Armory 1911 series pistols, Armscor is also the source of pistols for STI's Spartan pistol and Charles Daly as well as Auto Ordance 1911 style pistols. Armscor is an ISO 9001 certified compliant company which manufactures weapons using CNC (Computer Numerical Control) equipment.
Mudpie1313
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 9:22:35 AM EST
I purchased a Taylor Tactical which is a gussied up Armscor. Have pumped 200 or so rounds through it without cleaning only lube. Accurate except sights being a little off, about 1/8" holdover at 7 yds. Had one FTE using Winchester fmj. .45 I payed $620 otd. I like it so far.....
samuse
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 10:57:20 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Mudpie1313:
I purchased a Taylor Tactical which is a gussied up Armscor. Have pumped 200 or so rounds through it without cleaning only lube. Accurate except sights being a little off, about 1/8" holdover at 7 yds. Had one FTE using Winchester fmj. .45 I payed $620 otd. I like it so far.....

Sounds about right...
KS95B40
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2013 4:23:23 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By a79flhrider:
I have heard stories, and it may be incorrect but...
During the war in the Philippines, Colt set up shop to manufacture 1911's. After the war ended, Colt sold and left all the manufacturing equipment there rather than ship it all back to the US.
Is it true that Rock Island 1911's are manufactured on Colt machinery?..

Uh, no, not true. First off, the Japanese occupied the Philippines during most of the war. There is no way that Colt would have or could have set up any equipment to manufacture 1911s in the Philippine Islands during World War Two.

Rock Island pistols are pretty decent guns and a good value in their own right. Forget all the stories about being built on old Colt machinery and all of that nonsense. Judge the Philippine guns on their own merit, they have a lot going them.
AASG
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2013 9:26:49 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By brandyspaw:
Yeah, Armscor in its present form didn't really start until 1952. I believe the rumor about Colt your quoting had to have been started by a gun shop commando.

From Wiki: The Arms Corporation of the Philippines (Armscor) is familiar to many firearms enthusiasts for its inexpensive 1911-pattern pistols, revolvers, shotguns, sporting rifles, firearms parts and ammunition. It traces its beginnings to a Manila gun retail store (Squires Bingham & Co.) in the year 1911, though the present corporation was formalized in 1952. Armscor manufactures its own line of firearms but also takes on manufacturing contracts for other companies' firearm lines, such as Twin Pines' Rock Island Armory (RIA) pistols. In addition to the Rock Island Armory 1911 series pistols, Armscor is also the source of pistols for STI's Spartan pistol and Charles Daly as well as Auto Ordance 1911 style pistols. Armscor is an ISO 9001 certified compliant company which manufactures weapons using CNC (Computer Numerical Control) equipment.

So Kahr bout Auot Ordnance then started just buying Philipino guns and re-badging them? Well concidering AOs history it was probably the smartest move (if true).
Castillo
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2013 4:02:25 AM EST
RIA is great. I love mine
streetstar
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2013 5:55:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/8/2013 5:56:33 AM EST by streetstar]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Castillo:
RIA is great. I love mine

x2 --- The RIA will give you instant gratification and is nice enough to be a keeper forever --- the Sig is obviously a nicer machine in a lot of ways , but not really more reliable --- regarding my RIA Officers length, how do I get more reliable than 100% ?

Add a dream gun to the stable later , -shoot an RIA today -- it will always make a good truck gun or rough use gun when you don't want to soil your Nightmare/Nighthawk/Delta/TRP etc
Vik
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2013 7:44:48 AM EST
I have both a Sig and a Rock Island.

The Rock Island is the compact model and I carry it daily. I love it.

The Rock Island did have some crap springs when I got it from the factory and it didn't feed/eject reliably. I contact the company (USA division in Vegas) and they sent me an RMA parepaid to Vegas. They recieved it, replaced all the springs in the pistol, polished the feed ramp and tweeked the trigger a little and mailed it back with 2 extra magazines a bunch of stickers a pin and a catalogue. This was done in about a weeks time all free.

If you want a good shooting intro. type 1911 you cannot go wrong with Rock Island and they have great Customer Service, as I described above.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance....Riddle them with bullets!
Hanzerik
MSgt USAF (Ret)
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2013 12:22:08 PM EST
We like ours. Mine has seen thousands of factory and reloads. My wife's has only seen a few hundred so far since she bought it last month. Only thing I have done to mine is replace the slide stop last month since mine was becoming loose and causing some minor issues with certain mags.
Mine

Hers
skidman
Psycho - Per NorCal_LEO
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2013 1:53:26 PM EST
I've got the cheap basic model and it has been problem free.

Member of the NRA, VVMF. And another 3 plus years of a Nation WITHOUT a leader!
zx9rt1texas
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2013 8:30:51 AM EST
I have had zero problems with mine. I have a 9mm, 38 Super, and the good ol 45acp. They are a good weapon.
a79flhrider
Flyin' Hawaiian
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2013 9:27:18 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Vik:
I have both a Sig and a Rock Island.

The Rock Island is the compact model and I carry it daily. I love it.

The Rock Island did have some crap springs when I got it from the factory and it didn't feed/eject reliably. I contact the company (USA division in Vegas) and they sent me an RMA parepaid to Vegas. They recieved it, replaced all the springs in the pistol, polished the feed ramp and tweeked the trigger a little and mailed it back with 2 extra magazines a bunch of stickers a pin and a catalogue. This was done in about a weeks time all free.

If you want a good shooting intro. type 1911 you cannot go wrong with Rock Island and they have great Customer Service, as I described above.

You might have just sold me on the Rock Island
I teach my daughters to shoot because a restraining order is just a piece of paper! (author unknown)
a79flhrider
Flyin' Hawaiian
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2013 9:32:32 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By samuse:
Know how I know you've been talking to someone who works at a gunshop?

Or works in a gun store himself and talks to his coworkers? Good call!
colsonkentucky
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2013 10:01:13 AM EST
Have owned several Rock Islands not pricey and are good guns !
Hawkeye29
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2013 12:52:58 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Hanzerik:
We like ours. Mine has seen thousands of factory and reloads. My wife's has only seen a few hundred so far since she bought it last month. Only thing I have done to mine is replace the slide stop last month since mine was becoming loose and causing some minor issues with certain mags.
Mine
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/RIA1911/Right.JPG.thumb.jpg
Hers
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/RIA1911/RIA-NewGrips.jpg

Wow those are some really nice grips! Where did you find those?
1 MOA all day member.

You just say bingo.
Hanzerik
MSgt USAF (Ret)
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2013 5:09:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/10/2013 5:09:58 PM EST by Hanzerik]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Hawkeye29:
Originally Posted By Hanzerik:
Mine
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/RIA1911/Right.JPG.thumb.jpg
Hers
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/RIA1911/RIA-NewGrips.jpg

Wow those are some really nice grips! Where did you find those?

My double diamonds are from woodgrips.com, the wife bought hers off EBay for I think $45. From the business card included with them..."C&N Custom Engraving" out of NC.
Dunce
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2013 9:05:34 PM EST
I have heard nothing but good things about RIA, I have a springfield loaded stainless in 9mm and hope one day after I add a semi auto shotgun to my collection and get my current guns the way I want that I will add a RIA to my collection. I hope to add a 2011 in 9mm, which is like seeing a 4 leaf clover.
Sidecarnutz
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/12/2013 11:01:04 AM EST
I have the 1911 tactical model. I was happy enough with it that I had some fun checkering the front strap and refinishing it in OD and anthracite moly resin. I put a set of premium springs back into it as well. Darn good shooter! Great value in a 1911.

Pic:

Snaps
I like Kool-Aid
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/12/2013 9:29:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/12/2013 11:10:23 PM EST by Snaps]
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
Look at the Citadel, made by RIA. I love mine.

Both made by armscor

while your story about colts machinery being used to make RI guns is not true, RIs are still good guns. I bought the wife one, no issues

EDIT: all I did internally was change out the full length rod and spring for a wilson GI Rod, spring and plug
Hi, I'm Brad. That name was taken though.
Sidecarnutz
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/14/2013 12:30:40 PM EST
I really liked the way RIA did their full length rod! I didn't feel the need to change it. Except for the cheesy plastic main spring housing, I really liked it right outta the box.
hotbiggun42
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/20/2013 12:15:05 PM EST
For just a little more you can get this.
Thoughts?

Link
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED