Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2012 9:00:08 AM EDT
I had a coworker just sell me a Colt 70 series Gov't Model which is trashed. Nothing is known about the history except it was made in 1972 and isn't stolen. Everything seems OK except that the finish is fubared and the barrel looks like no one has ever cleaned it. I don't know squat about 1911's and wanted something to learn on. I was thinking about either upgrading it with a new beavertail, hammer, springs, barrel, etc. or refinishing to original. I've worked on building AK's and AR's but nothing like this.

So what should I do with this?

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#1]
.......... take it to IM - SGB
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://s5.tinypic.com/2nqhdhk_th.jpg .......... take it to IM - SGB

What did I miss?
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
What SGB said.

It's a good candidate for a rebuild to shooter status.

Get good quality internal parts as necessary and go for it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd have the slide milled for Novak cuts, add 10-8 sights, a beavertail, commander hammer then strip, bead blast and parkerize it.  

I'm leaning toward this. I plan on seeing what I can do to clean the barrel later today after my honey-do list is done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Perfect CCW weapon, strip it, clean it, park it, put some updated sights on it and make sure it's reliable and use it as a carry weapon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Replied to

So....I got some Chore Boy copper scrubbers and will go to town on that barrel after I soak it in Kroil for a while. I'll post pics of the results.

I have a can of Duracoat and know how to use it  Is there a way of prepping this without blasting and parking?

Also, any directions for resources to do the drop in work like a beavertail and hammer set up?

Keep in mind, my only experience with 1911's are having owned a Llama 9mm knock-off which never ran right, a Rock Island which never ran right and a GSG .22 which I blame for leading me down this path since it runs so right
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Finding someone with a bead blasting cabinet should not be difficult. There are a plethora of small shops that service industrial tools that would have such a set up. Once blasted, a scrub in denatured alcohol to remove the dust and you are set for a duracoat job.  Parkerizing is preferred, but not absolutely necessary for a good finish.

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Replied to

So....I got some Chore Boy copper scrubbers and will go to town on that barrel after I soak it in Kroil for a while. I'll post pics of the results.

I have a can of Duracoat and know how to use it  Is there a way of prepping this without blasting and parking?

Also, any directions for resources to do the drop in work like a beavertail and hammer set up?

Keep in mind, my only experience with 1911's are having owned a Llama 9mm knock-off which never ran right, a Rock Island which never ran right and a GSG .22 which I blame for leading me down this path since it runs so right

You can do the beaver tail and hammer yourself.  Wilson Combat makes a decent product for both.   Search Youtube, and you'll find tons of videos providing instruction for replacing both.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Here is what I would do:

1.  Have it sand blasted and parkerized;

2.  Install a Cylinder and Slide hammer set;

3.  Install a Brown extended thumb safety;

4.  Install checkered walnut grips;

5.  Clean the bore thoroughly with Wipe Out;

6.  Get rid of the finger style barrel bushing.  Replace with a solid barrel bushing.

7.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out Colt's custom shop. Their prices are pretty reasonable and they can get it all fixed up for you and put on the finish you want...and it's all still Colt.

Click on the third one down here
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#13]
It looks like it has been in a fire.
Maybe its just an illusion from the camera flash.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#15]
get all new internals and have a "melt" job done so its smooth like a bar of soap
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Send it to colt
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I have become a 'minimalist'. I would detail-strip, clean and inspect it. I possibly would use a spray and bake coating, maybe just black. Blasting prep is very nice but thorough cleaning and hand wire-brushing has always worked for me. Most likely I would replace the recoil and firing pin springs and possibly the grips (hate wrap-arounds).
The best compromise on appearance and preservation of markings is a light blast and Manganese Phosphate.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Send it to colt

+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd have the slide milled for Novak cuts, add 10-8 sights, a beavertail, commander hammer then strip, bead blast and parkerize it.  

AND replace the bushing and the thumb safety.

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is one I'm tinkering with to give you some ideas.

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Internally it looks prety good, but beat to hell outside. How much did that run you If I may ask?
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Ooh, that's nice

I don't want to send it to Colt as I want to do as much of it as I can myself. I really want to make this pistol something I'd never think of getting rid of ever and hand it down someday.

I have been cleaning the barrel since yesterday. Pics don't do justice to just how foul it is. I am alternating Nitro Solvent, Hoppe's 9 and CLP and brushing like mad. I've got a nice pile of nasty patches and a couple spent brushes so far

I talked with my coworker today. Apparently the whole thing was damn near rusted shut and he soaked it in diesel for two weeks just to move the slide. He then tried to shape it up to what you see now. The area above the grip safety on the right side is what he said the whole thing looked like. I wish I would have had a shot at it before he did. I like the electrolysis results and I think a lot of the major etching was due to the clean-up.

So what about the sights? Is there a good DIY option or do I need a smith for the job?
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#23]
On mine I ordered the Harrison retro GI rear sight and installed it myself. The front is Novak. I sent it to them to dovetail the slide, install the correct height front sight and sight in. The rest I have done myself. It now sports black G10 Davidson grips and a long 3 hole trigger. The Wilson ambi safety I reshaped and fitted myself just to play with the design. The ignition set is a Harrison bobbed hammer set. The trigger job, Gold Cup serrations, and reblue will be done by a real smith. It has been a learning experience. I would love to build one someday.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Check out Colt's custom shop. Their prices are pretty reasonable and they can get it all fixed up for you and put on the finish you want...and it's all still Colt.
Click on the third one down here

I came here to post this. Why do so many folks want to fsck up a nice Series 70 with a park job?

m

ETA: I guess I need to come clean... I have  MKIV S70 that I had parked. Of course, I also had it converted to a MEU(SOC) clone:

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#25]
A MEU-SOC on a Series 70? Hey, that's cool! First one like that I've seen or heard of. The MEU-SOC purists would hate that, but I like it. They think their letter-perfect reproductions are the cat's ass, but the bottom line is, all of them, even the ones using a real 'U.S. Property' frame, are only reproductions, and as such, have no standing whatsoever. So, a pistol that looks like a MEU-SOC, based on a Government Model, a Springfield, a Taurus or anything else, is okay. The next craze has already started - tan-painted rail guns to look like the new Colt CQBP.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

A MEU-SOC on a Series 70? Hey, that's cool! First one like that I've seen or heard of. The MEU-SOC purists would hate that, but I like it. They think their letter-perfect reproductions are the cat's ass, but the bottom line is, all of them, even the ones using a real 'U.S. Property' frame, are only reproductions, and as such, have no standing whatsoever. So, a pistol that looks like a MEU-SOC, based on a Government Model, a Springfield, a Taurus or anything else, is okay. The next craze has already started - tan-painted rail guns to look like the new Colt CQBP.

It was moderately Bubba'd, so I went ahead with the conversion. Realistically, it's a bluing and a few parts away from being back to stock appearance. I could send it back to the Colt Custom Shop and have it 'original' relatively easily.

I draw the line at painting it. Never like that look, or rails, for that matter...

m
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, I'm still working on cleaning the barrel. I've done Turkish and Yugoslovian Mausers, more than a few Mosins and bought a few very dirty guns over the years, but this one takes the cake. Every layer of crud I dislodge just exposes another layer. I've used every cleaning I can get short of dropping it in the Dip. It's soaking in PB Blaster right now waiting for the next round with the brush. If that doesn't loosen some of it up then I'll just get a cheap Swenson for the time being as Midway is out of stock of the Colt 70 series drop-ins.

This was the 1st dunk in penetrating oil, turned black instantly

Patches, patches and more patches

I ordered a Wilson drop in beavertail and generic Pearce grips so far. I have a gunsmith who'll do the blast, parkerizing and Novak cuts/sight install for $200. Now I need some grip screws, bushings and a Commander hammer. I am looking at the Wilson Combat Deluxe. Is this much different from the Wilson economy model?
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like fun!  Should be a nice, solid blaster after you are done.  Bump when you get progress
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#29]
These pics don't do it justice, but the barrel is trash. It is almost worn smooth at the muzzle I ordered the Swenson barrel and bushing, the Wilson economy hammer, a spring kit, Novak tritium sights and grip bushings & screws to go with the beavertail and grips. I figure that I'll want to upgrade later but won't be too bothered if I screw up cheap replacement parts. I want to try to fit everything and function test before taking it to my smith for the dovetail cuts and refinishing. In the meantime, waiting for the mailman.......

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I would not replace any useable parts and not refinish it. Replace the barrel if you have to and have it as a neat blaster/utility/defensive pistol. With functional parts that thing is ready to rock right now. Keep it well oiled to prevent rusting. Here is another guy doing a repair on a found pistol. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_49/127888_Dug_relic_1911_restoration__Pics_and_Video_.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I rescued one from a hurricane and it had some serious rust and pits.  Cleaned it up and ceracoted .  I do not worry about scratching it.  It is a carry gun now...not a safe queen like most guns people like to show off.  Enjoy the restoration process!
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would not replace any useable parts and not refinish it. Replace the barrel if you have to and have it as a neat blaster/utility/defensive pistol. With functional parts that thing is ready to rock right now. Keep it well oiled to prevent rusting. Here is another guy doing a repair on a found pistol. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_49/127888_Dug_relic_1911_restoration__Pics_and_Video_.html

Just curious, after seeing how messed up the exterior is, why would you recommend NOT refinishing this pistol?

Nice find by the way.  I'm always on the look out for these.  With a little TLC they make great shooters at bargain prices.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#33]
This would be a great practice 1911 to do your own beavertail safety install which requires cutting the frame down a little. Little things like that would be great to use this pistol for, not saying you can be careless but it's better to do it to this than a $900 new Colt.

Personally, I would get it to where it could shoot and be reliable, throw a cheap finish on it and make it a truck gun, beater range gun, etc...
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I have all my parts now, just need to get the pile to the gunsmith next week

Out with the old...

In with the new....
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Got it back today, some of the deeper scarring is there, but the finish is very nice overall. I knew restoring it to factory condition wasn't feasible. The trigger is a lot better and the beavertail feels right. Off to the range tomorrow to try it out!

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow, doesn't looke like the same gun at all

A small part of me would have wanted to keep the patina and wear on it the way it was but the other part would have wanted me to do what you did. Now it looks great.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Nice! That looks great! Was it a local smith or did you send it off?
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#38]
That looks great! Personally I would have stuck the Pachmayr wrap around grips back on it, but nice noetheless!
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks guys! I had a local smith do the work and he did pretty well considering how it was before he got it. The Pachmyer's are wrecked as the original screw and bushing were fused to it and the attempted removal by me didn't go so well  I have a set of Skingripz on the way which should be here this evening. The cheap Pearce grips feel, well, cheap and need to go. I'm beginning to see how so many 1911 grips come and go on the EE now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Well that looks a good 500% better!  

Nice to see someone take a rusty clunker (with good bones) and turn it into a nice shooter like that.  

When a co-worker hands you a lemmon, make lemonade!
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#41]
nice job man.......
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I just put 50 rounds of PMC 230gr FMJ's through it with no real problems. I had a couple of snags on the ramp which the smith told me to expect until the finish there wears down a bit and the accuracy seems better than I can shoot (I suck at handgun shooting). No kaboom, FTE/FTF's or anything. I am very happy with it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top