Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2012 2:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaskar017]
Hey mods, do you think it would be possible for a tacked magazine thread?
I know the question gets asked a lot and 87% of the time, the same companies are recommended.
It might be a good resource too if mag discussions stay in one thread that doesn't go to the archives.

Good read here:
http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-Magazines.html

Here is an archived thread I frequently looked at when I was looking for mags.  It seemed to have a lot of info and differing opinions.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=94016
One member posted this:
Originally Posted By 53vortec:
As far as 7 round magazines are concerned, I think the Checkmate and Metalform magazines w/ Colt style "hybrid" feed lips are better than Wilson or Tripp's offerings.
I also think Wilson 47Ds are overrated magazines that gained popularity by short-circuiting controlled round feeding, sacrificing total reliability to increase performance in improperly built pistols.
Neither of these opinions are very popular, btw.
With the wide variation of 1911s, the best magazine is the one that works best in the individual pistol.

Anyone with more interest in the subject of 1911 magazine feed lips and follower design would do well to read this article.
http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

Cproducts Review
www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_49/81444_CProducts_1911_magazine_review

Recommended Magazines listed in no particular order
.45 Magazines - 7 and 8 rounds
Tripp Research
Wilson Combat ETMs and 47Ds
Chip McCormick
Checkmate
Metalform

.45 Magazines - 10 rounds
Tripp Research
Wilson Combat
Chip McCormick
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_49/121944_10_round_mags.html

9mm Magazines
Tripp Research
Wilson Combat
Checkmate
Metalform

What does everyone think?  Anyone have anything to add because I am sure I missed something.

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 2:51:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rod727] [#1]
Good idea....come to think of it we are just about due for another "Are C-products any good " thread....
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 8:16:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaskar017] [#2]
I guess it wasn't as good of an idea as I thought
eta: only 1 supporter
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 9:26:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blackta6] [#3]
I like the idea. I have been thinking about getting 10 rnders for my local pistol matches along with getting a 9mm 1911. I would love to see some pics and or someones write up concering the different mags. I have about 5 different threads in my subscriptions trying to wade through and make a choice.

ETA:
1st 1911 was a Charles Daly. Factory 8 rnd mags worked well along with ACT 8 rnds. The cheap colt knock-offs functioned fine also. The only mag that didn't was the Chip McCormick 8 rnd mag. I tried 3 mags under their warranty before they just gave me a full refund.

2nd 1911 is a Norinco. Cheap colts and ACTs 8rnd work fine. Have since tried the Springfield factory 7 rnd mags and they work fine also.

3rd is a Blackened Stainless Springfield. The cheap colts work and the Norinco factory mags work. I can't try the ACT mags due to the base plate not being cut to work in an extended magwell.

This is my experience with brands of guns and mags. I wish when someone says use this XXX brand they would include which brand 1911 they have used them in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I support it.  This thread is why I didn't start a new one.  

Anyone second colt 8rds?  I'm going to buy some from middway as they are on sale for 16.99.  Is that a good price?
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
No pricing/mfg suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you mean by mfg suggestions?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
colt 8rd SS mags
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Tack it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By runawayabc123:
colt 8rd SS mags

sorry, I thought I read two different user names.

IIRC checkmate makes Colt mags.
44Mag has 8 round CMI mags for 16.75 with free shipping
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks!
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I like that idea! I say tack it!
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Great idea tack it!
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#13]
IBTP?
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 8:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OlKev] [#14]
Try this thread Page 2 for sure.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#15]
My Favorite two magazines?

A CMC powermag with a tripp 7 kit in it, and a 10-8 basepad. Pretty penny but this thing is amazing to look at
A tripp cobra mag with the aluminum basepad.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:52:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zaskar017] [#16]
Originally Posted By OlKev:
Try this thread Page 2 for sure.

Originally Posted By OlKev:

If you go to 1911 Forum or M1911 Pistols forum there are numerous threads on this. M1911 has quite a following for the Checkmate magazines with the hybrid feedlips.

Many do not like the Wilson because the follower is all polymer and will with time wear and not lock the slide back. Tripp Cobra Mags solved that problem with their hybrid follower; metal & plastic.

Tripp also makes the Flexfollower that is "no-tilt" and all metal. Checkmate's follower is like this only coated in black Teflon and with the dimple. (see above)

Some on those forums feel the springs prematurely weaken with the Wilson mags. Tripp has some of the strongest mag springs around. Chrome silicon and ever so slightly larger wire diameter. Wolff offers what is referred to by those buying and using the Checkmate magazines a an 11# spring. These can be specified when order Checkmate mags directly from the factory.

Checkmate makes OEM mags for Colt.
I deleted the how_i_did_it link because I already put that in the OP

excellent addition.  Thanks for the link
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#18]
What type of feed lips do Tripp Cobra mags have?
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#19]
How do you guys like you checkmate mags? how do they compare to other mags. its been brought to my attention that alot of people think they arnt that bad any thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Clay54961:

How do you guys like you checkmate mags? how do they compare to other mags. its been brought to my attention that alot of people think they arnt that bad any thoughts?

I bought 2 from 44mag, they've been working fine in my SA loaded, so far

44mag looks out of stock atm, top gun supply is another place to get them but a little more expensive

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Any difference in the Checkmates that have the dimpled follower and the factory Colts that don't have the dimple?
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:02:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nakanokalronin] [#22]
One magazine that seems to not get enough recognition is the Kimpro Tac mag. Teflon coated non-tilt follower, strong mag body, strong spring, reliable feeding and the choice of base plates or leave them off for a flush fit. I use the Officer size in my Ultra Carry and the full size in every other 1911 I own with zero malfunctions.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Nakanokalronin:
One magazine that seems to not get enough recognition is the Kimpro Tac mag. Teflon coated non-tilt follower, strong mag body, strong spring, reliable feeding and the choice of base plates or leave them off for a flush fit. I use the Officer size in my Ultra Carry and the full size in every other 1911 I own with zero malfunctions.

http://store.kimberamerica.com/DesktopModules/Store/Thumbnail.aspx?IP=/Portals/9/1100721A.jpg&IW=300&BC=FFF&CD=2&portalID=9
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/mikedils/060.jpg

Checkmates makes 'em

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By fastluck13:

http://store.kimberamerica.com/DesktopModules/Store/Thumbnail.aspx?IP=/Portals/9/1100721A.jpg&IW=300&BC=FFF&CD=2&portalID=9

Checkmates makes 'em

you know its strange for me to think that checkmate makes good mags for a long time i always thought they were sub par. but i guess i have some learning to do
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#26]
It would be nice if post one even had a general order to the manufacturer listings and maybe notes of which have followers that are OK with ramped barrels.  But def think this is a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By forgotmylogin:
It would be nice if post one even had a general order to the manufacturer listings and maybe notes of which have followers that are OK with ramped barrels.  But def think this is a good idea.

I can always edit the OP to have info condensed, but for what is in red, I need some input from others members here.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 3:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nakanokalronin] [#28]
Originally Posted By fastluck13:

Checkmates makes 'em

Do they have the same option of mutiple base plates or leave them off for a flush fit? I have a few checkmate mags that came with my SR1911 and DW Valor but they have the standard flared baseplate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#29]

The KimPro Tac mags are the only mags I've ever had problems with consistently in several 1911's. I gave all those mags away. Every other brand I've used works great.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Tagged for future reference for noobs!

I have always trusted Wilson 47D's.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nagasa] [#31]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zaskar017:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zaskar017:
Originally Posted By runawayabc123:
colt 8rd SS mags

Checkmate and Metalform both make Colt mags.

The only Metalform mags I've used are their flush fitting 9rd .38 Super mags and they've been great and appear to be Colt's OEM .38 Super mag.

I use Tripp 8rd .45 and 10rd .38 Super primarily with great results as well as 7rd GI style Checkmates for my "old school" guns and ball ammo.

The only magazines I've had issues with were 47Ds.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 3:33:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: F4U_Corsair] [#33]
My Checkmates have been hit or miss. One of them has really bad follower tilt and spread feed lips after less than 200 rounds and I don't abuse my magazines.

I've had good luck with a CMC Shooting Star I picked up, but would like to try a Tripp 8 rounder with the hybrid follower. I just can't bring myself to pay close to 50 dollars for a 1911 magazine.

ETA: I just pulled the trigger on a Tripp magazine for around 40 bucks. I figure for all the hype it's worth a shot. That's a lot of coin for a magazine, though!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#34]
My Springfield LBO has been good so far with the factory mec-gar 8rds and metalform elite 8rds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:34:11 AM EDT
[#36]
The Tripp Cobra came in today. I won't have time to take it to the range for a while but the first impressions are that it's a beautiful and well-made magazine. It feels weird having it extend down past the magwell instead of being a flush fit but I had heard that it's longer. I was a little surprised to see that after I chambered a round in my 1911 and ejected the magazine to top it off, the second round had moved forward in the magazine as it does in my others. I thought that that quirk was fixed with these. I'm not troubled by it so much but was expecting the round to stay put.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll add a little info. Primary pistol is a 90's vintage S.A. Mil-Spec that has been built up over several years.

Ed Brown 7 round made by Metalform with their folded metal follower have worked flawlessly for several years.

S.A. 7 round have never malfunctioned in the above pistol. I believe these are also made by Metalform but have the G.I. follower.

Wilson 47 7 round functioned fine and got about eight years of use before I had to replace the plastic followers.

Wilson 47D 8 round functioned fine but the springs don't last. Converted them to 7 rounds after replacing the springs twice in two years.

Wilson 10 round have been exceptional. Have had two of these for around fifteen years, loaded almost constantly. Recently pulled from rotation as the feed lips have spread, no spring or follower replacements in that time.

Kim-Pro 8 Round Tac-Mag was almost useless. Strong body tube but weak springs and tilting followers. Recently installed Tripp Super 7 conversions but haven't been on the range with them.

S.A. 10 round was great for malfunction drills. Average of two FTF per mag. Not sure if current version is the same as I bought two of these when I purchased the pistol 20 some odd years back.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Follow up. Went to the range with a new batch of mags. Have 2 of each of the following and all mags were tested in the  S.A. pictured in my avatar.

Wilson Combat Service Grade 7 round - fit and finish is nice, functioned 100%. These are not pre-drilled and tapped for base pads but they do have a pretty WC logo on the bottom.

Wilson ETM 500 8 round - fit and finish is nice, functioned 100%

Kim-Pro TacMag with Tripp Super 7 conversions, functioned 100%

Checkmate stainless 10 round - fit and finish is nice, one mag functioned 100%, the second mag was inconsistent on locking back the slide when empty.

Ammo was Federal 230gr. FMJ aluminum case, WWB 230gr. FMJ, Winchester Defense 230gr. JHP and Magtech 230gr. JHP.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#39]
I've always been confused by the naming conventions used for some of the 1911 .45ACP magazines. The only 1911 that I own is
a Ruger SR1911. I see sales at CDNN on 1911 mags by different manufacturers, but I'm not sure which ones will fit. What little
research I've done so far has not been definitive.

I've seen listings for Government, Officers, Compact, and regular mags that are either 7rd or 8rd. I'm fairly new to 1911s, but
it's my understanding that one mag fits all (in theory) as long as it's the same caliber. (For the purposes of these questions, I'm
referring only to .45 caliber and not the .22, 9mm, or .380 calibers.) I assume that the Compact mags do not fit the others, but
could someone please explain to me the relationship between the other mags and/or firearms? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:50:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Tripp Research are my go to mags for my 1911's, great mags. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:51:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: acman145acp] [#41]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Has anyone tried the Brownell's magazines?
View Quote
I've never used brownells lifetime warranty but seeing how the mags are covered by it and i hear their cs is good i figured i'd give them a try.

I have 12 of them now.
I started with three after 500 flawless rounds in 4 different 1911's i bought the other 9.
In total now the 12 have 2000 rounds out of 4 guns two sa loaded a s&w e and a sr1911.

ETA i have a lot of other mags from wilson to who knows. Untill i see a reason not to use the brownell's they are what i will go with.

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Majority of my mags are Act mags in Nickel.  Metalform with full follower, stainless and blue.
I have a couple Wilsons and Chip Mc's, then I have all the factory mags from various pistols and one Mec-gar.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Bump before this goes to archives and to possibly get some answers to my
inquiries 4 posts up...
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#44]
The best 7 round mag is a Powermag body with a Wolff 11lb spring, and a dimpled G.I. follower.

The best 8 is a flatwire ETM.

Hybrid feedlips suck and the ‘How I Dit It’ article is retarded.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Like a lot of things 1911 related, my experience is the closer to the original GI design, the better.  My SA Loaded, S70, and SA Ultra Compact all ran best with 7rd, tapered feed lip, dimpled metal follower mags.  Wilsons were OK, but not worth the price, to me.  Now that I'm getting back into 1911s, I'm planning on stocking up on CM GI-type mags.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Those mags generally feed hardball ok but they don’t hold up up to hard use at all.  Checkmates floor plates are soft and they bend after a couple or three slide lock reloads.

Tapered feedlips don’t do anything better than parallel lips, especially with a modern barrel throat.

I firmly believe that the original spec 1911 as built in 1911 was/is the best iteration with exception to the dimple feedramp and tapered lip mags.  They worked well with 230 gr ball, but we have more than that now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 3:51:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Driver] [#47]
Originally Posted By rx4spd:
I've always been confused by the naming conventions used for some of the 1911 .45ACP magazines. The only 1911 that I own is
a Ruger SR1911. I see sales at CDNN on 1911 mags by different manufacturers, but I'm not sure which ones will fit. What little
research I've done so far has not been definitive.

I've seen listings for Government, Officers, Compact, and regular mags that are either 7rd or 8rd. I'm fairly new to 1911s, but
it's my understanding that one mag fits all (in theory) as long as it's the same caliber. (For the purposes of these questions, I'm
referring only to .45 caliber and not the .22, 9mm, or .380 calibers.) I assume that the Compact mags do not fit the others, but
could someone please explain to me the relationship between the other mags and/or firearms? Thanks in advance!
View Quote
@ rx4spd

Government or Full size are generally 7 or 8 round capacity and fit Government and Commander grip frame lengths. Officer's and Compact are usually 6 or 7 round and fit the shorter Officer's grip frame length. Full size mags can be used in Compact pistols but Compact mags would be too short for full size pistols.

Recently added some Mec-Gar 8 round 2A mags to the testing pool. With a couple of hundred rounds through the two of them I have not had any issues.

Also, Wilson replaced my 47Ts under warranty. Feed lips had spread after 20 years.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Who usually has good sales on the mags that are liked here? I think I want stainless Wilson ETMs, Chipmcormick, or checkmates. Don't have a reason to get picky yet.

Bumping the thread for posterity
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:
Who usually has good sales on the mags that are liked here? I think I want stainless Wilson ETMs, Chipmcormick, or checkmates. Don't have a reason to get picky yet.

Bumping the thread for posterity
View Quote

$6.99 1911 mags.

Try these and if they fail/don't work/you don't like them, send them in to the Ed Brown magazine exchange program for their magazines.

Ed Brown magazines.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I have had good luck with Springfield blued 7 round .45 mags.  I bought a used 1911 that came with ten of them.  I sold the 1911 and kept the mags.  I glued on some Wilson Combat base pads with Barge’s rubber cement like they advised.  They eventually pop off.  I need to find a better cement or go to the kind you can screw on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top