Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2016 10:35:38 AM EDT
Kinda want one, for $300 +/- figure it would make a good truck gun.

Is the juice worth the squeeze.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like mine, came with a record book supposedly accounting for every round fired and all maintenance. I thought that was pretty cool. Mine was in excellent condition, but holy cosmoline batman!

That being said, there are other pistols I would buy for a truck gun around the same price, but mine is a great shooter and the ammo used to be really cheap.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By researchanddestroy:
and the ammo used to be really cheap.
View Quote

still is.  I have yet to pay over $10 for a 50rd box.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Do it
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I love mine, bought a pair. The sights suck, but the pistol is very accurate . I just point like I would my cops and robbers pistol (hand) and that's where the bullet goes. The ergos are great and the recoil is a bit snappy which can be slightly dampened with a Wolf recoil spring.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:03:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usnpjs] [#5]
Upgrade the spring, put on some PM-G grips, and you'll be all set.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By usnpjs:
put on some PM grips,.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#7]
PM-G grips
Originally Posted By dwcopple:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dwcopple:
Originally Posted By usnpjs:
put on some PM grips,.

spelling error in original post, will fix
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I like mine
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I've bought 3 of the "unissued" Bulgy Maks that were recently imported.

They are just awesome. I LOVE these pistols. A joy to shoot, beautiful, tough and stupid reliable. Good (enough) for most defensive uses. One is my bedside gun and I CCW one as well.

If you haven't already, GET ONE. They'll dry up soon and will only go up in value.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I love mine, and carry it often. I have always loved Soviet designed firearms, and the Makarov is one of the best of that category. The pistols are very reliable, very accurate, and pack plenty of punch for defense against people. In addition to this, they are beautiful in my opinion, simple to field strip/maintain, hold plenty of rounds for their intended purpose, are currently cost effective, and I believe they are just the right size to make for an excellent carry pistol.

The safety/decocker of the Makarov is easy to operate yet doesn't take up so much space as to be a nuisance. It is also down for fire/up for safe, so if you are familiar with a 1911, the Makarov feels natural. Some people complain about the heel style magazine release, but I love it. I have owned several pistols that would occasionally drop the magazine unintentionally due to the button being either too large, or too easy to depress. No such concerns with the Makarov.

My only complaint would be that the sights are very basic. Still, I can repeatedly punch out all head shots from inside of 12 yards with my Makarov, standing and firing rather quickly. Seems good enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, it is one of my favorite guns up there with the 1000 plus sigs. They are a joy to shoot and I have yet to have a single issue with mine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes. (So happy to see a Mak forum--yes I am slow on the uptake)

Had mine 20 years now.  Trigger sucks, sights are meh and and yet it is the best little pistol I have.  Wife also loves it--its her pistol of choice.

Had some bad mags that caused problems many many years ago (didnt seat far enough).  It also bit my friend once (too high a grip).
That is the summary of my problems with it.  It just runs and works.

Its the AK of pistols.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#13]
YES.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my Bulgy. Ammo is cheap, It's quite well made, and I think it would have to be encased in the lava of Mount Doom for it to malfunction.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#15]
"NEED"
Vas ist "need"?
No intiendo.

DOOO. IIIITTTT
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Ordered one from Classic yesterday. Paid extra for hand select, supposed to be like new condition. Arrives at my FFL tomorrow but wont be able to pick it up till Friday. Dam Commie guns are addictive!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Not one scratch! This Mak is like brand spanking new, only with cosmoline everywhere!

Yes, you need a Bulgy!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone order one lately?  Looks like Classic and SOG still have some but not sure of recent condition.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:20:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I did snag another not too long ago. Condition is fine. It had some scratches and wear but it works flawlessly
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:55:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTex] [#20]
That's great Kwisak!  Who did you order it from?
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#21]
If you can't get an E. German one, yes!
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Aim has these as of 12-6-17.
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1MAKBULGPARK&name=Bulgarian+Makarov+9x18cal+Pistol+Black+Parkerized+Finish&groupid=6
Doesn't seem like a bad deal if you don't have a Mak and want one.

Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a Bulgy Man long ago.  I actually liked it a lot.  I sold it for more than I paid years later and got a Smith 9mm.  Higher capacity, not better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#24]
You need several Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Amazing at the prices now, I got mine new still packed for $85 many years ago.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#26]
It’s a fun little gun, I think it’s worth it
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:53:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SwiftyMorgan] [#27]
I remember having a Makarov shipped to Seneca Arms.  When I arrived, there were two more Makarovs sitting in the case.  3 guns and $395 later...

Also grabbed a German model at the last Valley Forge show.  It was really the only deal I've ever gotten at a show.  A private seller sitting with his dealer friend.  Just wanted to unload it with mags, etc.  Not a clean as the others, but a bit smoother.  Every Mak I've had, regardless of German or Bulgy, all shot the same.  I did test one day trying to decide which one to sell and there as no difference in accuracy.

They are very accurate, easy to shoot.  A tad heavy to carry, for what they are, but I still love them.  Sold one off and shouldn't have.  They just look awesome laying next to one another  There was a guy, from Hungary I think, who was making nice wooden grips and I have a couple sets.  I bought one, but he didn't checker it as I had asked and he simply sent me another set.  Very nice.

I know it sounds self-serving, but if I saw one for $300-$325, I'd still be tempted.  I like them that much.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:28:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#28]
An E German is the one hole in my MAK collection I'd love to fill.  Sadly when I come across them they want ridiculously higher prices than I'm willing to pay for one.  Consider your self lucky scoring one on the cheap.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:
An E German is the one hole in my MAK collection I'd love to fill.  Sadly when I come across them they want ridiculously higher prices than I'm willing to pay for one.  Consider your self lucky scoring one on the cheap.

View Quote

Thanks.  If it eases your pain, it's literally the only time a show worked out for me.  It was the second table I went to and I almost paused, thinking there might be other Maks at the show.  I decided to buy it and didn't see another in the entire show.  It is neat, because of the history - if only it could talk...
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are looking for an E German, do your homework and memorize the markings.  Hit up gun shows and gun stores, and pawn shops. I’ve seen two E German Maks priced as a Bulgarian, I should have snagged them, but doubted myself.

I’ve got two, a Bulgarian and a 1962 East German. There’s a difference, the EG is smoother, but they are both accurate.  I carried my Bulgarian in place of my issued weapon off duty, never felt outgunned. My 83 year old father whose sight is limited can still get them all in the black with his Russian Mak.

Retired now, and a Ruger took the place of the Mak for everyday carry, but it’s still in the cabinet ready to go.

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Makarovs are the only pistols that I'm comfortable AIWB carrying.

I know I know glocks and such are "safe action", but that big metal seat blocking the firing pin combined with the DA pull make me warm and fuzzy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top