Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2016 9:03:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dragunov]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious as to the reasoning behind this? It seems kind of point less.

(Serious question I know this isn't GD)
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Use the safety as a decocker, then flip it back off.  No modifications needed.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnnyCarcinogen:
View Quote

That is exactly what I was thinking..
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The Beretta safety is opposite of the Makarov.

On the Beretta, you are likely to engage the safety when you rack the slide, which is why the decocker only is preferable.

The Makarov goes the other way.  Racking the slide shouldn't engage the safety.  If anything, you may accidentally take the safety off.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnnyCarcinogen:
View Quote

Yup, I've never used it as a safety...
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]
It should not be needed.

I use the slingshot method for reloading my Makarov, and have never engaged the safety. Just carry with the safety off. I've found the safeties on these guns to be stiff, which isn't a bad thing as it keeps from accidental manipulation.

Never do something like grind down the safety spring. A worn safety spring can cause the safety to flip up under recoil and the gun won't fire. Also, as an aside, DO NOT use the slide lock as a slide release on ANY Makarov PM pistol. They wear out fairly quickly compared to any other part and you'll find the slide might not lock back reliably if you use it too much. Cheap to replace but someday when parts dry up it won't be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top