Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2016 2:54:49 PM EDT
So, I just picked a Bulgarian sneak Russian military makarov for $425 with 3 mags, holster, and extra grip. The only problem is that the finish on it is in really rough shape, almost light grey on certain spots. The question is; should re-blue the frame and slide or not? I actually have a second Bulgarian sneak Mak that is in pristine condition, so it's not like I'm looking for another safe queen.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it rusty or just worn?
I suggest you keep it oiled and just shoot it.
there is really no good reason to refinish most guns , a good job generally costs more than it adds in value . Possibly to return some firearm that has lots of sentimental value
back to the way it was .

If you want a shooter that looks better sell it for what you can get and buy one in better condition.

Sometimes coating a shooter will work out but mostly somewhere down the line it becomes a mess
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Earl_Burlin] [#2]
Absolutely not.

That wear is part of the history. Do what you please, but if you ever sell it make damn sure well the buyer knows that you refinished it. It damages the collector's value.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Sell that one "as-is" for $650+ and get yourself an un-issued Bulgy Mak from SOG.  profit goes towards more Mak ammo
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dwcopple:
Sell that one "as-is" for $650+ and get yourself an un-issued Bulgy Mak from SOG.  profit goes towards more Mak ammo
View Quote

I really doubt I could have gotten $650 out of the gun. It only cost me $25 to refinish and the finish is the same as my other Russian. Already have an unissued Bulgarian and about 4000 rounds of ammo at $8 a box.

I think for a general shooter gun it was worth it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chemcmndr:

I really doubt I could have gotten $650 out of the gun.
View Quote

Russian Sneak closed at $660+shipping
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top