Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2015 2:48:03 PM EDT
I just got an unissued Bulgarian Makarov from SOG. It was packed in cosmoline so I detail stripped it and got it all cleaned up. Now I'm trying to get it back together and am having issues. It seems that the disconnector (on the trigger bar) is not working properly, possibly because of an issue with the mainspring. I've watched the below video and used the below instructions, but it's just not working.

It seems that the disconnector is not being properly tensioned by the mainspring. It is loose in the action with everything installed and it and the trigger has about a 1/4" of play. On the steps in the various assembly instructions where it says to slightly pull the trigger after installing the main spring to check function it doesn't move the hammer. The disconnector is too far forward and the "slot" in it is not engaging the bottom of the hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWoN2N ... e=youtu.be

http://www.handgunsandammunition.com/pi ... -best.html

http://leolani.net/relics/mak.html
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If I lightly push the disconnector, or hold the pistol muzzle-up or upside-down to the rear it engages the hammer and operates fine. If I assemble it and try to operate it upside-down the disconnector gets stuck under the right "pin" of the sear. When fully assembled the DA works partially some of the time. It seems that the hammer will slip off the sear early some of the time, not even cock some of the time, and work normally some of the time. It also seems that the hammer doesn't fall past its uncocked resting position when dry-fired. With the pistol assembled if I dry fire it and try to push the hammer forward with the trigger still pulled the hammer will not move past the safety notch on the sear, making me think that the hammer wasn't fully cocked anyway (since the sear is still "down"). Also, the finger on the spring that powers the hammer sits to the left-of-center in the pocket in the hammer. The odd thing about all of this is that the gun seemed to work fine when it was packed with grease (albeit sluggishly of course).
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:32:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Drone303] [#2]
Take the sear out and try installing the mainspring with just the trigger bar and hammer in place. That did the trick when I did it.

Having the sear in place made it so I was having the same problems you are having, where it would seem like one part of the mainspring was in the right position but the other part was shifted to the one side a little bit too far.

I searched on youtube for a clear video for the better part of an hour and the only one I found was a blurry mess that didn't show enough detail to get it right.

After that I did some searching for just pictures online and found a guy who said to reinstall it without the sear in place, so I tried that and it worked perfectly.

Edit: The guide I used is the leolani link you have in the description.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top