Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 3:38:34 PM EDT
Since I got my CCW, been carrying a Bulgy Mak.  Been thinking of getting an M&P Shield in 9mm.  How does the Mak compare to the Shield in terms of size?  Anyone have both and can post some pics?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I just traded a Mak for a Shield.

The Shield seem to just carry better.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to carry my East German Mak until I got a Shield 9. The shield is definitely much easier to carry. It's thinner and lighter, and the weight makes a big difference to me. The only advantage of carrying the Mak is that I carry my spare magazine in the watch pocket on my jeans. That gives me 16 rounds in the Shield (7 + 1 in the pistol, and the 8 round mag in the pocket) but with the Mak I could carry 2 spare mags in that pocket.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all.  Bought the Shield.  Already happy with the purchase.  Carries better than the Mak.  Much lighter.  Just hope it gets close to matching up in accuracy and speed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd wager the Makarov would be more reliable.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd agree, however for most people the shield is probably a more practical carry gun.  

Ammo availability , weight , normal mag release
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd agree, however for most people the shield is probably a more practical carry gun.    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
carry both
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The PM Mak IMO is a piece of crap. I own one. The trigger is shit, in either double or single action. It's large and heavy for a mousy chambering. The sites are useless. The decocker is stiff, and gritty. The grip has an odd shape. It feels long. The Mag release is what it is. A Bersa Thunder .380 far outclasses a Mak. A S&W M&P Shield would seem like something from the distant future, compared to a Mak. I own a Mak because it was cheap, and unique, and has appeal as a cold war relic. About the same reasons I own an AK.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#9]
The Shield is lighter and seems thinner. It also has much better sights and a more powerful round.

I used to carry my Mak but haven't since I got my Ruger LC9 (pretty close to the shield, if a tad smaller). The shop I work at sells a lot of the Smiths and they are a much better carry option than the Mak, IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top